Odd laundry situation on Sirena

vlthom

We are currently aboard Sirena doing the circumnavigation of Australia. During dinner last evening, the couple that we dined with reported that they were distressed because they were unable to do their wash in the self service laundry room. Apparently, there is a lengthy waiting list to obtain the tokens for the machines and even though the machines are not in use, no one can use them because someone (or many people) purchased tokens on day 1 of the cruise and are hoarding them until they need to do their laundry. Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing on Oceania. I am fine waiting for the 20 items for $25 specials, but I know that on a cruise of this length, many are expecting to do their wash. Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds very strange.

Unless it's a conspiracy of many people, I would question the wisdom of staff who sold so many tokens at once to one (or just a few) people.

Presumably they know who bought all the tokens as they would have been charged for them ?

Definitely a new twist on Oceania.

Will follow this with some interest :D

We are on as well. People boArded and hoarded tokens for the whole 34 night cruise. They have ordered an emergency shipment. They are now available 4 at a time. No big deal. Most of us o regulars find it amusing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, this is a first for me. Sounds incredible if it really is a strategy, both ingenious and self-centered as described. I wonder if the perpetrators have a chair hogging scheme as well.

On the face of it, this does sound pretty bad. But not enough info.

Could it be the ship has only say 100 tokens, anticipating them to be used soon and recycled but 5 pax bought 20 each to save buying again during that cruise. I don't know how long it is but could they really want to do (1 per wash, 2 per dry so 3x) 7 loads over the loads over the length of the cruise and it is innocent action spread over several pax?

Could the ship be running short of tokens and exacerbating the above? I am sure on every cruise X number never are redeem and the supply depletes.

Could it be a conspiracy enacted on by a group travelling together?

Could some very entrepreneurial sort have bought them all and is setting up shop scalping them to pay for their upsell?

At the dog park our happy-go-lucky dog has the reputation for a relatively unknown (by other dogs) maneuver that is very controlling over more powerful dogs. No pain involved but renders them powerless. Perhaps she has been coaching cruise pax on the side. We want our cut; laundry tokens will be fine.

Seriously though, this does sound very odd to me. Would be interested in more.

We are on as well. People boArded and hoarded tokens for the whole 34 night cruise. They have ordered an emergency shipment. They are now available 4 at a time. No big deal. Most of us o regulars find it amusing

Thanks for the update. "People boArded and hoarded tokens for the whole 34 night cruise." But why???? If it more than one person then it would be to have them handy and not a plot, unless we are naive and this is known thing.

I would not want to be in that laundry room. I'd send out.

Enjoy that cruise. Great itinerary

My understanding is that we started with 800 tokens. They will attempt to get an emergency supply from Insignia in Darwin. Someone said that one of the hoarders was offering tokens for $20 apiece....which is silly. May as well pay the ship to do your laundry!

My understanding is that we started with 800 tokens. They will attempt to get an emergency supply from Insignia in Darwin. Someone said that one of the hoarders was offering tokens for $20 apiece....which is silly. May as well pay the ship to do your laundry!

This sounds to me like a bit of folklore rumor - the kind that tends to spring under these situations.

1 It is unlikely that 800 tokens would be sold on day 1 without any suspicions

2 The person offering them for $20 each might as well have a "guilty" sign around his neck. Surely he/she would not be that foolish. :D

If I were the kind of person who would want to hoard tokens so that I could scalp them to my fellow passengers, it wouldn't occur to be to ask for $20 ... maybe $3? Should be a fun meet and greet if sales are being offered ...

Like the rest of you I never heard of such a situation. And if I were offered a token for a mere $20, the first person I would call would be the hotel manager.

Mura

if there is such a shortage maybe O did not have enough to begin with

I cannot imagine reception selling more that a few tokens to 1 person at a time

I normally buy 8 for a longer cruise up to 3 wks

more than enough

Of course that's silly. I just rummaged through our "travel drawer" and found a couple I'll let go for only $10 each (plus shipping/handling) [emoji846]

Perhaps there is a new rumour on board that this is a plot by Laundry Services to increase demand ;)

Now that Flatbush Flyer is offering theirs at a discount to the on-board scalping the open market price on these is falling quickly. I am dumping mine.

Hurry - limited time offer, limited to stock on hand. I will let mine go for $1 CAD! (plus S&H*). But wait there's more; you can receive a second one for free (just pay Shipping and Handling*). Mention this special offer "241".

*Note: due to the value placed on these, personal on-board delivery is required at purchaser's expense.

If not clear, this is a joke and not a real offer. I have no tokens and sorry to disappoint those in need.

Perhaps there is a new rumour on board that this is a plot by Laundry Services to increase demand ;)

Now that Flatbush Flyer is offering theirs at a discount to the on-board scalping the open market price on these is falling quickly. I am dumping mine.

Hurry - limited time offer, limited to stock on hand. I will let mine go for $1 CAD! (plus S&H*). But wait there's more; you can receive a second one for free (just pay Shipping and Handling*). Mention this special offer "241".

*Note: due to the value placed on these, personal on-board delivery is required at purchaser's expense.

If not clear, this is a joke and not a real offer. I have no tokens and sorry to disappoint those in need.

Don't be fooled by this "too good to be true" offer. My $10 tokens come with a "certificate of authenticity."

I just want to make sure I am clear with this. Sirena now uses tokens instead of quarters? If so, I can leave my quarters at home in May. Thanks.

All of the O ships always have used tokens for laundry facilities.

Not always ... on our first Marina cruise in Oct '11 the machines took quarters. I liked that since I collected the quarters from my Coop's laundry equipment, so I always had rolls of quarters on hand. But it didn't take long before Marina switched over to tokens as well.

Mura

And Sirena DID use quarters on their first few cruises after the refit. By July when we boarded in Barcelona, they were using tokens.

Thanks, newbie - I sailed on the first sailing out of Barcelona and we most definitely had to use quarters.