Coki Beach St Thomas or Trunk Bay St John

08srwenhold04

Hey everyone! My wife and I and our two kids are headed out May 27th on the Carnival Glory. We love to snorkel! I have been reading a bunch of reviews on snorkeling in St. Thomas. I really like the idea of heading to trunk bay on our own, but wondering if it is worth it or to just take a taxi to Coki Beach. We want to snorkel right from the shore. Also heard from another thread that we may need to have a passport if we go to St. Johns, we don't have passports and are traveling with just our birth certificates. If any one can shed light on that aspect it would be much appreciated. Also wanted to get everyone's opinions on which would be a better option. Which one has better snorkeling. Thanks for all your time and help!

I cannot give you any info on St John's but snorkeling at Coki Beach was awesome. I don't take pictures anymore when I snorkel but I regretted not having it with me there!

It was $8 or $10 a person for the cab ride & you just tell them what time you want to be picked up. I can't remember what we paid for the chairs & umbrellas. They have bathrooms, place to buy food & drinks. The people/venders were very nice.

It is a narrow beach but the snorkeling makes up for that by far! There many threads in the St Thomas port section that describes the beach in detail.

If you want more snorkel time Coki might be your answer.

I have never been to St Johns and there's a lot of people on these boards that highly recommend it.

I have been to Coki twice now (once to snorkel and this last time we tried scuba diving). We LOVE Coki and thought that the variety of coral was just amazing there. I would highly recommend the place. It can (and does) get crowded as the day goes on, but I spend most of my time in the water...so it's never bothered me.

Check out my Coki review in my signature line. There's TONS of pictures of snorkeling...it will show you what to expect.

Ferrying to St. Johns drains too much time for a one day trip to St. Thomas... and Trunk Bay gets terribly overcrowded. I don't think it's worth the effort. I'd suggest saving time and taking a cab to Coki... or saving both time, and money, by taking a Safari to Sapphire Beach.

I cannot give you any info on St John's but snorkeling at Coki Beach was awesome. I don't take pictures anymore when I snorkel but I regretted not having it with me there!

It was $8 or $10 a person for the cab ride & you just tell them what time you want to be picked up. I can't remember what we paid for the chairs & umbrellas. They have bathrooms, place to buy food & drinks. The people/venders were very nice.

It is a narrow beach but the snorkeling makes up for that by far! There many threads in the St Thomas port section that describes the beach in detail.

If you want more snorkel time Coki might be your answer.

I will 2nd this, I was going to dive at Coki, but I was clearing up an ear infection. We enjoyed our snorkel time here.

we were at coki in january and it wasn't very good.. you needed to swim way out and around the rocks to see anything... it gets crowded and the sand gets churned up and there is nothing close to shore

We were not impression with Coki beach diving at all. It all depends what you are used too I guess.

Now that you mention it, I had forgotten we went to coki and did a Jet Ski snorkel excursion. That took us over toward St John and the snorkeling over there was spectacular. Too bad my go pro battery died on the way over.

I just did a 2 tank beach dive at Coki with my son on march 14th and it was great. We saw lots of different sea life including turtles, a ray, crabs, lobsters and an eel. We also saw almost as many fish as we did on our last dive in Australia on the GBR. I guess it depends on the day but we have always had a good time snorkeling there also even when it is crowded. Coki dive center was a great place with quality equipment and fun guides, not to mention inexpensive, $80 for a 2 tank dive with all equipment included.

No complaints at all with the service, staff or effort by all to make the dive great. I really liked the people operating the service. I`m a Floridian who regularly travels the Caribbean to go diving so I guess I`m just spoiled. St. Thomas is not for me a great or even good dive destination. I guess it all comes down to what your are used too. After (4) cruises that stopped in St. Thomas I`ll do no more. i would rather snorkel in St. John`s than dive St. Thomas. It`s like Aruba I`ve seen people here say the diving is great. I think its poor compared to their neighbors Bonaire and Curacao which I find great. To each his own no matter your choice be safe and best wishes on a wonderful vacation!

laissez les bons temps rouler aka:Let the good times roll!

• 1 month later...