Balmoral

Thoroughly looking forward to the "Swedish Waterways" cruise at the end of May but it's been 24 years since we were last on this ship. Before she was stretched, indeed before she was bought by Fred.

So what changes can we look forward to? I know the cinema has gone. I remember the main dining room as being rather noisy but this time we're in one of the new, smaller ones.

Can you see the join where she was stretched like you can with Braemar?

Don't remember much about the dancefloor in the main lounge (did/does it rise up to become the stage?)

Any other hints/tips/things to bear in mind?

Regards, Colin.

I am very fond of the "Balmoral" and will be sailing on it in early April. Yes, the Neptune lounge floor rises which makes watching the show more comfortable. The main dining room, the Ballindalloch, can be a trifle noisy but you always have the choice of booking a table in one of the more intimate dining rooms, the Spey and Avon, which are on deck 10. The menu is the same. I have often looked to see if the "join" is visible but have so far filed to find it. One major change over the last year or so is that the hull is now painted grey , replacing the white of yesteryear. The ship is undergoing a major overhaul later this year.

I am sure you will enjoy a cruise on the attractive and friendly ship.

You mean like a battleship? Why have they done that? :(

It is not the light grey of battle ships. More of a very dark grey which looks black in some light conditions, we thought it was black when we first saw it - like Cunard for instance. It is a dull grey though, not shiny.

Regards reason, I suspect the signs of rust and dirt will be less visible than if the ship was white as you can often see small signs of rust on the white ships.