Concierge? Worth it?

jabrown40

I'm thinking of changing my 2018 Celebrity Venice -Greece to Oceania's similar itinerary. Food is very important for us, and on a heavy port itinerary, not too worried about nightlife. Comparing pricing, and this would be more expensive. Have to have a balcony, and wondering if the concierge level is worth a bit more increase (maybe 400-600.00?). I would also lose the two days at sea, but the Oceania cruise requires less time off from work for me. All input very appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's important to you?

Concierge Level Privileges

In addition to Suite & Stateroom Amenities

• Priority Noon ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge, featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch SpaClub® private Spa Terrace
  • Laptop computer with wireless Internet access
  • FREE Internet Package
  • iPad® upon request+
  • Exclusive discounts on Internet usage plans
  • Variety of Bulgari amenities
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag
  • Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation++

Veranda Stateroom Amenities

• Prestige Tranquility Bed, an Oceania Cruises Exclusive, with 1,000-thread-count linens
  • Refrigerated mini-bar with free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water replenished daily
  • Private teak veranda
  • Full-size bathtub
  • Complimentary 24-hour room service
  • Signature Belgian chocolates with nightly turndown service
  • Plush cotton towels
  • Thick cotton robes and slippers
  • Bulgari amenities
  • Handheld hair dryer
  • Flat-screen television with live satellite news and programming
  • DVD player with extensive 24-hour room service menu
  • Wireless internet access

When I see it listed this way, I'm thinking only the priority specialty restaurants looks important. Is it difficult to get reservations once in board? We won't be on the ship much except at night. And probably to bed early!

Everyone is guaranteed a certain number of reservations, so even if you haven't booked a specialty restaurant ahead of time you will be able to get your reservations. How easy they are to get on board -- or extra reservations -- often depends on your companions on the cruise. There are passengers like DH and myself who don't value the specialty restaurants all that much. Often we have not used all of our available reservations.

But there are others who insist on ONLY eating in the specialty restaurants.

But check in early in the day and you may well get one. Be flexible in terms of time and sharing a table. It's much easier to get an early reservation sharing with others than it is a table for two at the most popular times.

Mura

When I see it listed this way, I'm thinking only the priority specialty restaurants looks important. Is it difficult to get reservations once in board? We won't be on the ship much except at night. And probably to bed early!

If you're willing to share a table at flexible times, you can often easily get extra specialty restaurant reservations once aboard on a daily basis. Also, with O Life, everyone gets included unlimited wifi (one account per cabin).

Thus, IMO, the only Concierge perk worth anything is that cabin categories below Concierge cannot get hot breakfast room service (only continental).

However, on Riviera and Marina, there are some forward and aft non-Concierge "extended" balcony cabins in B3 category (none in A). So, for less money than A3 (Concierge), I can enjoy my continental breakfast on a lounger on my extended balcony just before I head out to make some extra specialty reservations for that evening.

One other food item: all the food venues (even the pool grill -Waves- with filet mignon/lobster sandwiches) are excellent - a giant step up from Celebrity.

One time it is pointless to have a concierge lounge is when there is norovirus. They stop coffee and snack service in the lounge!

If you really want service, you could spring for a butler! I haven't ever had one.

Frances

One time it is pointless to have a concierge lounge is when there is norovirus. They stop coffee and snack service in the lounge!

If you really want service, you could spring for a butler! I haven't ever had one.

Frances

Only on the O ships though.

Just to be clear, everyone gets to book specialty restaurants in advance of sailing. It's just that the number of bookings and how far in advance you can book depends on your cabin category. After everyone has had the opportunity to book by the rules it's each man for himself onboard!

Hoping I have that right. No doubt someone will chip in if not!

Just to be clear, everyone gets to book specialty restaurants in advance of sailing. It's just that the number of bookings and how far in advance you can book depends on your cabin category. After everyone has had the opportunity to book by the rules it's each man for himself onboard!

Hoping I have that right. No doubt someone will chip in if not!

You have it right, but when Flatbush says that early reservations are an important consideration, I start thinking that the earlier access to the Reservation pool, which Concierge provides, MIGHT be just the ticket.

what it boils down to is ego and hype...very little substance and what there is you can easily do your self on board..... aside form the : having a "hot breakfast served in your room" like dining in a phone booth....and for hundreds more ???? just another revenue tier

• 1 month later...
You have it right, but when Flatbush says that early reservations are an important consideration, I start thinking that the earlier access to the Reservation pool, which Concierge provides, MIGHT be just the ticket.

Recently returned from 24 days on Riviera. They allowed onboard extra booking of specialty restaurants days in advance. If willing to share and flexible with times, there was almost always availability for one or two specialty restaurants.

BTW, one other perk of "extended voyages" (beyond price discount compared to individual segments) is that you get to book both segment reservations on opening date for first segment. Puts you slightly ahead of other passengers in your category for that second segment.

Loved the Concierge Lounge on the Marina! Last time I checked, only the Marina and Riviera had the Concierge Lounge smaller "R" ships did not. The concierge lounge was a quiet place to sit, relax, chat with others and had a variety of newspapers and magazines, drinks and snacks available 24/7. The concierge also provided free coins for the on-board laundry, along with many other services.

The concierge also provided free coins for the on-board laundry, along with many other services.

wow I will have to check that out next time

Never thought to ask in there for free tokens :eek:

If you like aft-facing rooms but don't want to pay the suite price and if there are some left on the cruise you're looking at, the R ships have 6 concierge verandas in the back. Personally, this would be the only reason we would book a concierge room; although free internet is another plus if you book the cruise with the cruise-only fare.

I ended up cancelling Celebrity, and am excited to experience our B3 extended balcony (7111)! Thanks for the replies!

Good move. You will love 7111. Some will say it is windy etc. but that is not so. You still have the regular balcony shielded from neighbors that is shaded, if you want to venture further on your balcony it is wonderful. Yes you are exposed to the rest of the ship but who cares. We have had wonderful conversations with our neighbors but if you want privacy it is there. We stopped doing concierge a while ago. Not worth the strange $$. And contrary to some who proclaim the wind is terrible, depending on your itinerary this is not necessarily so. Enjoy your cabin and your cruise, you will not be disappointed

Good move. You will love 7111. Some will say it is windy etc. but that is not so. You still have the regular balcony shielded from neighbors that is shaded, if you want to venture further on your balcony it is wonderful. Yes you are exposed to the rest of the ship but who cares. We have had wonderful conversations with our neighbors but if you want privacy it is there. We stopped doing concierge a while ago. Not worth the strange $$. And contrary to some who proclaim the wind is terrible, depending on your itinerary this is not necessarily so. Enjoy your cabin and your cruise, you will not be disappointed

Some how "extra $$" became strange. Gotta love auto correct

The concierge also provided free coins for the on-board laundry, along with many other services.

When we sailed concierge in 2015, you could BUY laundry tokens in the lounge. The concierge puts them on your bill whether you sign or not. He knows where you live.....[emoji6]

Mo

If you like aft-facing rooms but don't want to pay the suite price and if there are some left on the cruise you're looking at, the R ships have 6 concierge verandas in the back. Personally, this would be the only reason we would book a concierge room; although free internet is another plus if you book the cruise with the cruise-only fare.

Yes the R ships aft concierge is one reason (which is why we booked it) however another reason is that you will double your specialty nights from one reservation each restaurant to two each if in concierge. On the O ships, I don't see the monetary value or benefit for concierge and preferred to book 7111 extended balcony instead as the OP did.