Teachers or Parents of school aged kids...

momof4girls

Hoping you can help me decide what would be "best", although I know only I can truly answer that question.;)

I am currently booked on the Breeze for early November. I chose that time because my kids would be out of school the Monday and Tuesday of the cruise, thus missing only Wed-Fri. We would be getting off the ship on Sunday morning and driving straight back so they will be in school the next day. :D

However, for about $300 more, I can book us on the Breeze cruise leaving the middle of May. The last day of school is May 18, and this cruise leaves on Sunday May 14. Is there really a lot that goes on the last few days of school? Or would it be better for them to miss then instead of early November. Is it worth it enough to spend the $300? I also worry about the weather for early November (cold and such).

ETA: Kids are currently in the 5th and 6th grades. This November they will be 6th and 7th graders.

Edited by momof4girls

What grade?

Will they be missing any finals? Can they do those early?

One will be finishing up 5th grade (so definitely nothing going on there) and one will be finishing up 6th grade. Do they have "finals" in 6th grade that last week? It's been so long since my older two were this age...

I swear if my kid comes home one more time and says "we watched a movie today" that last week of school, I'm going to scream! I'd much rather be on a cruise having family time!

:') I completely relate! I actually hear that a lot during the week before Christmas break too...

First, I would not be concerned about the November weather in terms of cold - Galveston and (to a greater extent) the ports you visit in November will be warm. There is the possibility of a late season tropical storm in early November (that has happened to us) but it's very late in the season so the chances a relatively low.

Second, (as a parent and grandparent) without knowing what grades your kids are in, it's possible there are things happening in those last days of the school year in May that should not be missed. However, the November time frame might be better as there would be time for the kids to catch up on whatever work they missed during the cruise. You might want to talk with your children's teachers now about the May cruise to see if missing those last few days this year will be a problem or hardship. I'm guessing you won't know who the teacher(s) will be in November so you really can't have that conversation until August maybe??

First, I would not be concerned about the November weather in terms of cold - Galveston and (to a greater extent) the ports you visit in November will be warm. There is the possibility of a late season tropical storm in early November (that has happened to us) but it's very late in the season so the chances a relatively low.

Second, (as a parent and grandparent) without knowing what grades your kids are in, it's possible there are things happening in those last days of the school year in May that should not be missed. However, the November time frame might be better as there would be time for the kids to catch up on whatever work they missed during the cruise. You might want to talk with your children's teachers now about the May cruise to see if missing those last few days this year will be a problem or hardship. I'm guessing you won't know who the teacher(s) will be in November so you really can't have that conversation until August maybe??

Sorry, should have stated in original post that they are currently in the 5th and 6th grades. Good idea about talking to the teachers now (about a May cruise). Since middle school (6th-8th here) has a variety of teachers, I can only guess that my current 5th grader will have the same teachers as her previous three sisters.

I have to agree with Mrs. GUT. They will learn so much more visiting other countries doing educational (and relaxing) excursions then they will a week in school.

As for November or May, at their grades they can miss either. Though the ship should be less busy in May before the rest of the school age children are out for the summer. So I would go for the May week.

Talk to their teachers the week before they go and get some extra assignments they can do on ship during some sea days.

I have to agree with Mrs. GUT. They will learn so much more visiting other countries doing educational (and relaxing) excursions then they will a week in school.

As for November or May, at their grades they can miss either. Though the ship should be less busy in May before the rest of the school age children are out for the summer. So I would go for the May week.

Talk to their teachers the week before they go and get some extra assignments they can do on ship during some sea days.

Because I'm so close to sail date if I choose May, I need to decide quickly if I'm going to do this! Only a couple rooms left in the Cove Balcony category, although it isn't mandatory that we sail in a Cove...just want to.

Because I'm so close to sail date if I choose May, I need to decide quickly if I'm going to do this! Only a couple rooms left in the Cove Balcony category, although it isn't mandatory that we sail in a Cove...just want to.

Watch those Cove Balconies. We had one on the Vista in Europe under the galley. Could hardly sleep at night.

Watch those Cove Balconies. We had one on the Vista in Europe under the galley. Could hardly sleep at night.

Most definitely! The two remaining are actually near the elevators, which we stayed in before. Nice and quiet (without all the weird smells I've heard about).

Go for it. We always travel during the school year for one of our long vacations. I will take advantage of it, while they are still in elementary school. I don't see an issue with one week out of school. Our school system doesn't mind, we just fill out a form before to advise why they will miss a week.

Now high school...that is different. ;)

I swear if my kid comes home one more time and says "we watched a movie today" that last week of school, I'm going to scream! I'd much rather be on a cruise having family time!

That is SO true!

I'm not one to take my kids out of school for a cruise, but if I were, I'd do it during that last week of May. And I would be SHOCKED if your 6th graders has finals. Those are pretty much a thing of the past, even for high school.

We have cruised a few times in November and love it! Not as many kids, enough for my son to hang out with, but not be overwhelmed. He's in 7th grade now, and we went this year, and in 6th grade. And in 5th grade we went to Key West for a week. He was able to catch up with work when he got back. Although he needed a little extra help for math, as he's in an accelerated math class so they have homework every night, always moving forward. And the weather in November is great! We sail out of Port Canaveral. It was warm enough for my son to swim at the hotel the night before we sailed (but not me! LOL!). And then the weather on the cruise was perfect!

At the end of the year, they're most likely not missing anything beyond the fun things they might want to go to. My son enjoys those end of school picnics, the big celebrations, etc... So talk to your kids about what they prefer too.

HA! OP, all I want to say is, finally, FINALLY! all our sons are in college and the heck with them, we cruise when we want to!!! Be patient. You'll be in the same spot soon enough. Don't let your kids miss school. It's more important than you'll ever know.

I teach elementary (and I hear horror stories about middle school so I can't speak for those teachers). Honestly, as long as the student isn't really struggling I don't care if they miss school to experience traveling, so either time would be fine with me. I'm not sure how it is in your state, but for us, we have to send that last report card home on the last day of school with the students. That means grades have to be turned in to admin about two weeks before school even ends. So we're not teaching anything new the last week or two before school gets out. Go for it, whatever time works best for your family. I would suggest talking to the teachers though. It's always better to hear it from the parents than to hear from the kids (or their friends) that they're going out of town and the parents said nothing to you.

Every school district is different and you need to know the attendance policy for your district. Our students receive 6 days off per semester then lose credit. All cases go to a review committee and credit is only given at the committee's discretion (doctor's note for illness and death in the family are the things usually waived, but are still reviewed.) Our students have finals that are worth 15% of their semester grade and are given within the last 3-4 days of school. Your 5th grader would not fall under that at our school, but your 6th grader would - meaning that the May cruise would be an issue. Again - your school may not have those policies, but some do. As a teacher, I have to say I appreciate that you are asking questions and that you are getting those kids cruising! Our days on cruise ships with our kids are some of the "golden days" of our lives.

At the end of the year, they're most likely not missing anything beyond the fun things they might want to go to. My son enjoys those end of school picnics, the big celebrations, etc... So talk to your kids about what they prefer too.

I would like to be able to talk to them except this cruise was a surprise from the very beginning. They don't know about the November plans so I wouldn't want to share about the move to May. I will use a visit to my sister in Biloxi as an idea though. ;) Accomplishes the same thing. 😊

We've never had an issue taking our kids out of school to travel. The life lessons learned are soooo worth it for us!

Some things to consider:

Double check if there are finals for Middle School. Our middle school has finals the LAST TWO DAYS of school....the option is there to take them early, but????

How important is the end of the year stuff to your kiddos? Yearbook signing, parties, etc etc. Esp if you have one that will be moving from Elementary to Middle?

As for November...how much work do you think they would have to do while you were away, and/or when they get back. We have great students, but now that they are Middle School level, we don't mess with more than a day out of school if possible. It's just not worth how much time they have to spend on the vacation doing work and/or making stuff up when they get back. They also do so many group projects in MS, that it can be a real pain in the rear.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!!!