Baltimore to Newark by train

velmasue

We are going on a repositioning cruise on October 23, 2017, leaving from Cape Liberty. We usually fly out of Baltimore and would like to return there after the cruise (still 3 hours drive to home). I can't find a reasonable direct flight from BWI to Newark so was looking into Amtrak. We have never taken Amtrak, but it seems like the most logical transportation between the 2 cities. There is no checked luggage on the train, but personal item and "carry-on" up to 50 lbs. We will each have a large suitcase and a backpack. What does one do with the large suitcase on the train? Is there a specific storage spot once onboard?

Would it be better to arrive at EWR or Penn Station, Newark? We would be arriving the day of the cruise and most likely get a Uber ride once we get to Newark. Is that reasonable?

Thanks for any advice.

We are going on a repositioning cruise on October 23, 2017, leaving from Cape Liberty. We usually fly out of Baltimore and would like to return there after the cruise (still 3 hours drive to home). I can't find a reasonable direct flight from BWI to Newark so was looking into Amtrak. We have never taken Amtrak, but it seems like the most logical transportation between the 2 cities. There is no checked luggage on the train, but personal item and "carry-on" up to 50 lbs. We will each have a large suitcase and a backpack. What does one do with the large suitcase on the train? Is there a specific storage spot once onboard?

Would it be better to arrive at EWR or Penn Station, Newark? We would be arriving the day of the cruise and most likely get a Uber ride once we get to Newark. Is that reasonable?

Thanks for any advice.

Can't help much with the luggage except to say that there should be space to store it. I've never had a problem finding a spot for my luggage.

For a repositioning cruise I would strongly suggest you consider coming up the day before. If Amtrak has any issues and you miss the cruise, your next port is several days away.

If you decide to come a day early, book a room at a Newark airport hotel and get off at Newark airport station and go on the Airtrain to the P4 station to connect with the hotel shuttle. There is no vehicle access to Newark Airport Station so you would still have to tote your luggage on the Airtrain the P4 Station to connect with an Uber ride. If Uber isn't working, you should go to one of the terminals on the Airtrain to have access to the taxi stand.

Thanks for any advice.

You can take large suitcases on Amtrak. Most cars have spots at one end for larger suitcases. It's not like the airlines - as long as you can carry it, you can bring it. The train will only stop for a few minutes so you'll need to be prepared. Seems that Newark Penn Station is the closest Amtrak station to Cape Liberty. You can also check Uber's website for fare estimates from both stations. That will also tell you which station is closest to Cape Liberty.

I take Amtrak all the time between DC and NY - easiest and least stressful way to travel.

You can take large suitcases on Amtrak. Most cars have spots at one end for larger suitcases. It's not like the airlines - as long as you can carry it, you can bring it. The train will only stop for a few minutes so you'll need to be prepared. Seems that Newark Penn Station is the closest Amtrak station to Cape Liberty. You can also check Uber's website for fare estimates from both stations. That will also tell you which station is closest to Cape Liberty.

I take Amtrak all the time between DC and NY - easiest and least stressful way to travel.

Both stations are close to Cape Liberty, but Newark Penn Station has way more Amtrak service as well as being a lot easier to negotiate to get outside for cab services.

The OP said they are 3 hours from BWI. I'm thinking they are going to do some sort of Park/Sleep in Baltimore and take the train the next morning. If that is the case, I still feel strongly that they should find discount parking at BWI, hop the train to Newark Penn Station on Oct 22, and stay at the Robert Treat or the Hilton Penn Station in downtown Newark, which avoids the Newark airport chaos completely. Kayak and united.com have the Robert Treat for $104 plus tax for 10/22. The Robert Treat has a shuttle, but I would just hop a cab for <$10. The next morning they can unstressfully Uber to the port from the comfort of a hotel lobby. I have stayed at the Robert Treat pre cruise and would recommend it. It has free wifi, free breakfast, a restaurant and a roof terrace - a full service hotel. I thought the beds were very comfortable and I would stay there again.

Thank you for your input.

I do appreciate getting a better idea about luggage on the train and the advice to be prepared to exit once it stops at our destination. My husband is fairly nervous about taking Amtrak so I'm trying to find out all the information I can. There are more stops into Newark Penn station so that will probably be our best option.

We normally try to go to the departure port a day early, just to avoid the stress, and have stayed at Country Inns and Suites a few times when we drove up. I was hoping we could avoid that extra overnight stay and "dragging" our suitcases around for an extra day! We have booked Best Western for Oct 22 in Baltimore and they will keep our vehicle for the entire 2 weeks. We could change the reservation to the 21st and stay in Newark on the 22nd? I'm kinda on the fence with that. Thanks for the recommendation of the hotel and transportation upon arrival.

OP: I'm a tiny bit confused. Are you driving or flying from your home to Baltimore? If driving (which it sounds like from your posts), why not just drive to New Jersey?

The OP is on a repo cruise from Cape Liberty ending elsewhere and is flying back to Baltimore where their car will be parked. They live 3 hours from Baltimore so they probably live about 6 hours from Cape Liberty.

The OP is on a repo cruise from Cape Liberty ending elsewhere and is flying back to Baltimore where their car will be parked. They live 3 hours from Baltimore so they probably live about 6 hours from Cape Liberty.

That is correct. You can definitely read between the lines!

You've got some good advice on Amtrak, which I do think will work for you. We travel Washington to New York fairly often, so a few other thoughts for you.

If you're looking at fares on the Northeast Regional, the really inexpensive (under $50/person each way) fares are limited and non-refundable. We do this all the time, so that doesn't scare me, but do know that. Some of the trips are longer than others; look at total travel time when picking a train. I think all NE Regionals stop at Newark Penn, but they don't all stop at EWR. Those that skip EWR probably also have fewer stops on the way, so are a little faster. From BWI I'd expect a stop at Baltimore Penn, Wilmington, Philly, and Newark. The Acela is theoretically faster, but it's going to make those same four stops, for a lot more money.

One thing to keep in mind at BWI is there are no luggage carts or baggage assistance (Red Caps). Not a problem if you can manage your bags, but there is baggage service at Baltimore Penn. If you're not used to riding Amtrak, a $5 or so tip will ensure you're standing in the right spot for the train, and the right car if that matters. Amtrak does have Quiet Cars, usually the second from one of the ends. You might get lucky at either Baltimore or BWI, but the car can fill up in DC.

Just out of curiosity, where in VA are you? You can take some Amtrak trains from Richmond, for instance, and you could fly back to BWI if that still makes the most sense and Amtrak back to Richmond. Just another thought.

Thanks for the explanation. I had knee replacement surgery last week and am on heavy duty pain meds, and I missed it. When they tell you not to drive or operate dangerous machinery, they should also tell you not to post on message boards! ;p

You've got some good advice on Amtrak, which I do think will work for you. We travel Washington to New York fairly often, so a few other thoughts for you.

If you're looking at fares on the Northeast Regional, the really inexpensive (under $50/person each way) fares are limited and non-refundable. We do this all the time, so that doesn't scare me, but do know that. Some of the trips are longer than others; look at total travel time when picking a train. I think all NE Regionals stop at Newark Penn, but they don't all stop at EWR. Those that skip EWR probably also have fewer stops on the way, so are a little faster. From BWI I'd expect a stop at Baltimore Penn, Wilmington, Philly, and Newark. The Acela is theoretically faster, but it's going to make those same four stops, for a lot more money.

One thing to keep in mind at BWI is there are no luggage carts or baggage assistance (Red Caps). Not a problem if you can manage your bags, but there is baggage service at Baltimore Penn. If you're not used to riding Amtrak, a $5 or so tip will ensure you're standing in the right spot for the train, and the right car if that matters. Amtrak does have Quiet Cars, usually the second from one of the ends. You might get lucky at either Baltimore or BWI, but the car can fill up in DC.

Just out of curiosity, where in VA are you? You can take some Amtrak trains from Richmond, for instance, and you could fly back to BWI if that still makes the most sense and Amtrak back to Richmond. Just another thought.

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't even realize there were 2 train stations in Baltimore! I will definitely look into leaving out of Baltimore Penn. We have cruised out of Baltimore and flown out of Baltimore, but really know very little about getting around in the city. We normally stay at the same Best Western and prefer to fly from BWI because Southwest has more direct flights to the destinations we visit than Norfolk or Richmond have.

We are from the Eastern Shore of Va, south of Chincoteague (some folks have heard of "Misty") in the small town of Onancock.

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't even realize there were 2 train stations in Baltimore! I will definitely look into leaving out of Baltimore Penn. We have cruised out of Baltimore and flown out of Baltimore, but really know very little about getting around in the city. We normally stay at the same Best Western and prefer to fly from BWI because Southwest has more direct flights to the destinations we visit than Norfolk or Richmond have.

We are from the Eastern Shore of Va, south of Chincoteague (some folks have heard of "Misty") in the small town of Onancock.

From the Eastern Shore, Baltimore probably does make the most sense. Do check all your options; Baltimore Penn is in Baltimore proper, so that's a cab ride from an airport hotel (not sure which BW you're staying at). If you go on Amtrak's web page and search for Baltimore on the stations tab, you can see addresses and available services at the stations. Then you're at least making a decision with some information!

Rail service in the Northeast corridor has become increasingly unreliable and dangerous...so much so that I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone use Amtrak or NJ Transit. Look at recent history:

May, 2015 Amtrak derailment in Philadelphia kills 8 and injures over 200, 11 critically.

September, 2016 a NJ Transit train crashes in Hoboken terminal, killing 1 and injuring 114.

In the past 11 days there have been two derailments in NY Penn Station, the first of an Amtrak train that also damaged a NJ Transit train in the process, and the second, today, of a NJ Transit train. Both derailments occurred at very slow speed so fortunately the number and severity of injuries was low, but the accidents caused major disruptions to service into and out of NY Penn Station.

At this time NJ Transit trains still are not equipped with the federally-mandated positive train control system that could prevent trains from exceeding proper speed limits.

I used to ride trains on the Northeast Corridor fairly frequently, but now I'll only do so if I absolutely have no other reasonable way of getting to where I have to go.

Sorry to be so negative, but to me riding trains in the Northeast Corridor is akin to flying in airplanes that are not maintained to proper standards and aren't equipped with up-to-date safety equipment.

:eek:

I can't dispute anything njhorseman says, I've simply made a different risk-based decision for myself and continue to take Amtrak (I know nothing about NJ Transit). But, yes, they've had a rough stretch lately. We've also had trucks turnover on overpasses on the Beltway and kill innocent drivers. And a driver texting kill everyone on a church bus in the south over the weekend. And cruise ships lose power in the middle of the Caribbean and have to be towed to port (no one died, obviously). I don't have an answer...

I can't dispute anything njhorseman says, I've simply made a different risk-based decision for myself and continue to take Amtrak (I know nothing about NJ Transit). But, yes, they've had a rough stretch lately. We've also had trucks turnover on overpasses on the Beltway and kill innocent drivers. And a driver texting kill everyone on a church bus in the south over the weekend. And cruise ships lose power in the middle of the Caribbean and have to be towed to port (no one died, obviously). I don't have an answer...

And an 18 wheeler might cross into oncoming traffic on I 95 and wipe me out. Nothing I can do about that...but at least I know my vehicle is safe, properly maintained and operated safely by someone (me) not high on drugs or alcohol or suffering from sleep apnea, distracted by texting while driving etc. I can't say any of that about the about the rail system or the people operating the trains.

Rail service in the Northeast corridor has become increasingly unreliable and dangerous...so much so that I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone use Amtrak or NJ Transit. Look at recent history.

Well, we'll be on the Northeast Regional 4 times in the next 6 weeks, so I sure hope we make it back home to our dog.

One more question for the experts. Which train would be better to take to Newark, the Vermonter or the Northeast Regional? Is one more comfortable than the other? I see the Northeast Regional has a "Quiet" car and the Vermonter does not. Are there other differences as well?

Thanks for your help.

One more question for the experts. Which train would be better to take to Newark, the Vermonter or the Northeast Regional? Is one more comfortable than the other? I see the Northeast Regional has a "Quiet" car and the Vermonter does not. Are there other differences as well?

Thanks for your help.

The NE Regionals simply goes between either DC (sometimes originates in Richmond) & NY or DC & Boston (while also stopping in NY). The NY Regionals were designed for business travelers (hence the reason for the quiet car). The Vermonter does the same southern stops but after NY also goes through CT, MA and onto Vermont. I've taken both - no other differences. The big Amtrak difference would be the Acela. Acela are newer trains, cleaner, quieter, faster, and a little more comfortable. But IMHO not worth the added expense.

The NE Regionals simply goes between either DC (sometimes originates in Richmond) & NY or DC & Boston (while also stopping in NY). The NY Regionals were designed for business travelers (hence the reason for the quiet car). The Vermonter does the same southern stops but after NY also goes through CT, MA and onto Vermont. I've taken both - no other differences. The big Amtrak difference would be the Acela. Acela are newer trains, cleaner, quieter, faster, and a little more comfortable. But IMHO not worth the added expense.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help.

Regarding the 'quiet' car: I don't believe station announcements are made; therefore, you need to pay attention after Philadelphia so you don't miss your station.

Regarding the 'quiet' car: I don't believe station announcements are made; therefore, you need to pay attention after Philadelphia so you don't miss your station.

Thank you for that warning. We are still a little nervous about taking Amtrak since this will be our first time traveling by train.

I'm not sure that's correct. The restrictions in the "quiet car" are on passengers. I can't promise my memory is correct, but I believe station announcements are made.

Thank you for that warning. We are still a little nervous about taking Amtrak since this will be our first time traveling by train.

Please don't be nervous. It's really no big deal to take Amtrak. :) (I hope I haven't just jinxed my next rail trip. LOL!)

I hope you have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

I will be taking a cruise on the Anthem. July 6. I have difficulty handling my suitcase.....taking the BWI Amtrack at 7:53. Would it be best to take it to Penn Station or Airport for the easiest taxi and less walking to shuttle/taxi? Would you leave earlier than 8 for the same day cruise? Should I book a shuttle prior to arriving to ensure a ride or just hope to find a taxi? Someone mentioned that Penn Station is closer to the port....true? Another said that you can get a shuttle from the airport for $20 with others.....a better choice? I am a senior and am trying to avoid less stress and walking.

Edited by Patty00
more detail