Clothes steamers?

Journey2016

My In laws are taking a cruise on the Divinia in October. We always bring a clothes steamer with us when we cruise because clothes become wrinkled in the luggage. However, none of us have cruised with MSC before. Are clothes steamers allowed onboard MSC cruise ships?

My In laws are taking a cruise on the Divinia in October. We always bring a clothes steamer with us when we cruise because clothes become wrinkled in the luggage. However, none of us have cruised with MSC before. Are clothes steamers allowed onboard MSC cruise ships?

No as they are electrical heat generating devices and as such are banned

here is the official wording from the UK web site

Electrical Appliances & Voltage Electricity on board all ships is supplied at a voltage of 110/220 V in the cabin. Guests may request electrical outlet adapters from the Information Office.

Please note that no heat-generating devices (like electric kettles, bottle warmers for babies, electric blankets etc.) are allowed on board. All cabins come equipped with a hair dryer, and baby bottle warmers are available throughout the ship. Hair straighteners and curlers are, however, accepted.

Pete

So you are faced with wearing wrinkled clothes, shorts and Tshirts, or paying for laundry?

That's about the size of it, unless you are in the Yacht Club.

I believe YC guests can have free ironing of formal wear for the captains gala night nut I could be wrong about that .

it was certainly available when I was on Divina in the YC in 2012, but that was before she went to the USA and many things have changed since then.

Pete

Clothes steamers are and have been banned by all cruise lines.

I know that isn't true. I have been bringing mine on RCCL for years. While they may be banned on paper, that rule is enforced about as well as the "no shorts in the MDR" rule.

I know that isn't true. I have been bringing mine on RCCL for years. While they may be banned on paper, that rule is enforced about as well as the "no shorts in the MDR" rule.

MSC are different

This is what the T&Cs in the brochure say

electrical%20heated.jpg

Take them and chance having them confiscated and not returned.

You may get lucky and get them on board

Pete

Your reasoning astounds me. So if you managed to sneak candles or knives on board but they weren't found and confiscated then you think Royal or any other cruise line is just giving a wink, wink.

from Royals website.

Prohibited items:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifFirearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.con_bulletgray_ico.gifSharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)con_bulletgray_ico.gifIllegal Drugs & Substancescon_bulletgray_ico.gifCandles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

I actually bought my steamer in the gift shop on Royal'x Navigator of the Seas !

• 2 weeks later...
Your reasoning astounds me. So if you managed to sneak candles or knives on board but they weren't found and confiscated then you think Royal or any other cruise line is just giving a wink, wink.

I don't know what is so astounding about it. The rules say that there is a dress code, but it isn't enforced. That means that it isn't really a rule, except on paper. There is a rule that the bartenders aren't allowed to overserve, yet I was on a spring break cruise with hundreds of overserved college kids.

There is a rule on RCCL that you are not permitted to have steamers, yet I have been on more than 2 dozen cruises with mine, and no one has said a word.

So yes, the cruise line is giving a "wink, wink" with this rule, as they do with so many others.

I was waiting for someone to mention the smoke detector lol. Some people have zero common sense! The 40 clothes package is what we buy and that's more then worth it. Super affordable as is most MSC add on's...... Internet, Picture package ETC... compared to Princess and Most other lines

With the small size of the bathroom, I just hang the clothes on the hooks on the back of the door and the wrinkles all steam out while we are taking showers. If there is a stubborn wrinkle, I also bring Downy wrinkle release but on our last cruise it was not needed. Using packing cubes (not the kind that you suck all of their air out) also keeps our clothes from shifting around and wrinkling a lot.

Is there a self-service room where you can iron your clothes​ on the Divina? I remember doing that on my previous Carnival sailing.

Sent from my Vivo XL2 using Forums mobile app

in a single word

NO

MSC have no DIY washing/ironing facilities on any of their ships.

The only way for you to wash clothes yourself is in your cabin's bathroom . there is a clothes line in the bathroom if you know what you are looking for and how to get it fixed in place

there are also fairly reasonably priced laundry packages

Pete