Skagway tour?

ccndfw

Looking at booking a bus tour In Skagway to Emerald Lake and wondering which is better... Chilkoot Charters or Frontier Excursions? Anyone have experience with these vendors? How many passengers on each tour bus? They both seem to stop at similar locations... did it feel rushed? Boring?

I'm not even on your cruise, but I took the 12 hour train and bus tour and it was one of the best experiences in my life. I went and found the exact information and hopefully you'll save some time with it. I'm serious, I'm an incredibly conscious spender and was stressing over the cost, but it was the best $229/pp we spent. I'm always bragging about the ever changing beauty on this trip. Good luck. Enjoy.

I'm not even on your cruise, but I took the 12 hour train and bus tour and it was one of the best experiences in my life. I went and found the exact information and hopefully you'll save some time with it. I'm serious, I'm an incredibly conscious spender and was stressing over the cost, but it was the best $229/pp we spent. I'm always bragging about the ever changing beauty on this trip. Good luck. Enjoy.

Did you book this with a company? can you recommend the company?

Looking at booking a bus tour In Skagway to Emerald Lake and wondering which is better... Chilkoot Charters or Frontier Excursions? Anyone have experience with these vendors? How many passengers on each tour bus? They both seem to stop at similar locations... did it feel rushed? Boring?

When is your cruise? We are sailing in Sept and we have looked at Chilkoot - they look very good and we have seen a couple of good reviews of them too.

I just don't know when to book?

We did the Yukon Rail & Bus Tour with Chilkoot Charters https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus/ and really enjoyed it.

So, we took the train up to the Canadian border, then, you get off and get on the bus.

I do remember that it's not a big old tour bus, but, a smaller one. Just checked their FAQs, and, the maximum is 25. So, not a bad size at all. And, not like a van, where you have to crawl in and out, a front door with aisles.

Susan in Anchorage :)

When is your cruise? We are sailing in Sept and we have looked at Chilkoot - they look very good and we have seen a couple of good reviews of them too.

I just don't know when to book?

I just booked with Chilkoot for the Yukon Bus and Rail. if you email them, they will tell you the times that they have travelling on the day you will be in port and they will also tell you how many seats they have, so you can have some idea how soon you should book . I know you are travelling later, but when I asked about Sept. 19 last week , they had 13 seats left and so the bus seems half full already.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a tour with Frontier Excusions - Yukon Discovery & Sled Dog tour last May 2016. It was great and well worth the money. The van/bus holds around 20 people and there was never a rush. Lunch was even included with our tour. They may various stops and sights that you will not see on the train.

These 2 are long time, well run vendors. My style matches better with Dyea Dave, who is another vendor. It's a 150 mile round trip that does keep a schedule. I find the pace is excellent and not rushed.

I'd suggest you take a look at the -details- of each vendor and tour. I always pass on the "touristy" Caribou Crossing with mediocre food, in favor of other stops. :) But many enjoy it. The combo train tours are excellent as well.

Another vote for Dyea Dave. I've gone with his sister and she's great as well. My favorite method of getting to the Yukon is to take the train to Bennett and on to Carcross. From there you get a bus to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway.

I've used Chilcoot Charters at least 10 over the years. So you can tell I have been very happy with them.

If you decide to book with them, see if you can get "James" as your driver, he's the best...[/quot

Yep James from Ireland is excellent.