Baltic Cruise on Viking Sea - Stockholm & Oslo Problems

Ziki

We are booked on this on Sept. 3. We are having reservations about taking this after the recent bombing in Stockholm & bomb in Oslo. We were spending 2 extra days in Stockholm & at the end taking the train from Bergen to Oslo & spending 3 days in Oslo on our own. We have already booked our business class flights.

I believe we have until May 2 to cancel the cruise. The flight may be an issue.

We were really looking forward to it, but now we are feeling very uneasy. Anyone else having reservations about this trip?

We are soon off to the airport, then to Paris for a few days. We then board the Viking Sky which stops in St Petersburg, and then goes to Stockholm where we debark. I will not cancel my plans and hand 'them' an economic and psychological victory.

This question comes up every time something happens like you mentioned. The vast majority of folks reply they will continue to travel. Stuff happens just about everywhere. Read enough news and you would think America is a very dangerous place. (Charleston, Orlando, Denver, San Bernardino, Boston, daily shootings in Chicago, etc etc)

Most of these issues are terrible, but they are isolated and not an everyday, everywhere, all the time occurrences. There are of course some countries that one would think twice about, but surely not Sweden.

Link for more attacks on US soil

Edited by garycarla

Major man made disasters do occur all over the world at all times but the world keeps spinning. If you let things like this, that on the whole effect few people, I am surprised you get in your car everyday. More people are injured in car accidents every year when you tally things up. Granted, it could happen but in all practicality it probably won't. If you feel comfortable about going to the movie or grocery store here you should feel no differently about approaching other areas of the world that on the whole are relatively safe. In this world there are some things you have no control over but you do control how you choose to see things. It's either an unknown fear or unknown knowledge that causes you to choose the paths you take. There's a line about "life's a banquet and most poor SOBs are starving to death". I want to feast on all life has to offer. It sure beats the alternative!

This is my favorite story - as to why you just can't predict how close trouble will/will not follow you on your overseas trip: my sister lives in a town off of the Capital Beltway (I495) near Washington, DC. I guess it's been around 15 years now - they were planning a trip to Israel. Their friends said they were crazy (this was a few years after Iraq was launching scud missiles towards Israel). They went and had a great time - no incidents, etc. Meanwhile, while they were in Israel the Washington DC area - all around the beltway - was on guard because of two nut cases shooting and killing people. A few incidents occurred within ten miles of their house. I presume you can see the analogy here. No one can predict where the next incident will take place - and most likely it will be where no one expects it. This is the world we live in - unfortunately it will only get worse - so just go out and enjoy yourself or become a couch potato and watch the world spin by on TV!

Whatever you do do NOT travel in an automobile. It is indisputable that your highest chances of meeting horrific death or injury are in a statistically more probable automobile accident. You can reduce this possibility by not driving late at night.

Within just the last 3 years we have stood within 50 feet of 3 terrorist attacks, fortunately for us NOT when they were happening. Istanbul airport entrance, Nice promenade (Viking post cruise...excellent) and at the front of the beautiful Hagia Sophia. Oh wait 4, Boston Marathon.

Heading off on our next cruise in May. We'll check out Stockholm & Norway.

I have to agree - you can't let it stop you from living and you can't let them win.

Heck we were in Cairo a few years back and found ourselves in a tour van surrounded by idiots pointing guns at us.....we stayed calm, the police came, and we ventured on..... now that is a place I would not return to btw.

Last year we were in Africa. Following an amazing safari we spend a few days in Cape Town - an area of the world that has been terrorist free.....until one morning at our B&B the headlines said that they were concerned that day about ISIS attacks where we had been the day before....

we are headed up the Amazon later this year, and not too long ago I read about pirates boarding a ship and robbing the passengers. But we aren't cancelling.

This world continues to bring us stories of tragedies brought about by very sick people.....and as was just said......if you let it all impact your decisions you won't leave your home.....and driving your car is infinitely more likely to bring you harm than being impacted by one of these horrific events. And yes, they are horrific.

Your choice and only you can make it....but I wouldn't let it stop me from the trip you are going on.

My wife and I are on the same cruise on September 3 and havebeen noticing the same issues. The attack in Sweden, the bombing in St.Petersburg and the unexploded device in in Oslo in a short period of time arecertainly a troubling coincidence. However, as other posters have said, there are dangerous situations in our dailylives and in many other places. I live outside of Boston a few blocks fromHeartbreak Hill and will walk over and watch the Boston Marathon onMonday. Unfortunately terrorism canstrive anywhere at any time. I think that you weight your options and live yourlife and try not to take too many risks. I agree that there are certaincountries that have to be avoided but in this case we plan on going on thecruise and enjoying ourselves confident that if conditions change Viking willtake that into consideration prior to placing us in danger. Cruise lines are always monitoring developmentsand will change the ports if necessary. I hope to see you in September.

We, too, are on the same cruise with several other friends and family members. We, too, will be in Stockholm a few days early and take the train from Bergen to Oslo. As many of you have already said, be aware of your surroundings. I would add: always identify several exit points from your location: where are the closest exit doors, the routes out of a square or plaza, the spots that appear to be a safe cover if needed. My cousin's daughter survived a nightclub fire in London as she had identified the exit door when she first went into the club and positioned herself near enough to reach it, just in case. The fire started and she reached the exit and got out, but many panicked and died as they didn't know where to go. Be aware and plan ahead, but don't stay home. The odds are in your favor that all will go well and the worst thing that happens is you don't buy that souvenir you really wanted, your camera stops working, or the restaurant runs out of your favorite gelato.

We, too, are on the same cruise with several other friends and family members. We, too, will be in Stockholm a few days early and take the train from Bergen to Oslo. As many of you have already said, be aware of your surroundings. I would add: always identify several exit points from your location: where are the closest exit doors, the routes out of a square or plaza, the spots that appear to be a safe cover if needed. My cousin's daughter survived a nightclub fire in London as she had identified the exit door when she first went into the club and positioned herself near enough to reach it, just in case. The fire started and she reached the exit and got out, but many panicked and died as they didn't know where to go. Be aware and plan ahead, but don't stay home. The odds are in your favor that all will go well and the worst thing that happens is you don't buy that souvenir you really wanted, your camera stops working, or the restaurant runs out of your favorite gelato.

Well said

Ziki, we will also be on that same cruise with extra days pre-cruise in Stockholm. It's normal to feel a bit uneasy when we hear of these horrific events, but I'm not going to let my life be dictated by fear. Then the bad guys win. Looking forward to seeing all of you onboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ziki, we will also be on that same cruise with extra days pre-cruise in Stockholm. It's normal to feel a bit uneasy when we hear of these horrific events, but I'm not going to let my life be dictated by fear. Then the bad guys win. Looking forward to seeing all of you onboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's in God's hands whether you live or die.

So go and enjoy your cruise, and not worry.

"I cruise to stay healthy, and to enjoy a slice of apple pie every day before I die".

No worries... Risk is the same as major US cities and probably less than your local shopping mall. Russia is cash starved and tourism is a major source of capital in St Petersburg so security is probably tightened for visitors. We are on the July 15th Sky cruise with no planned changes.

It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the Department of State travel site (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html). If there is a warning or alert most airlines will not fly and or they will refund without penalty. Not sure of cruise policies but I would think they would atleast by pass ports in the warning area

No worries... Risk is the same as major US cities and probably less than your local shopping mall. Russia is cash starved and tourism is a major source of capital in St Petersburg so security is probably tightened for visitors. We are on the July 15th Sky cruise with no planned changes.

It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the Department of State travel site (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html). If there is a warning or alert most airlines will not fly and or they will refund without penalty. Not sure of cruise policies but I would think they would atleast by pass ports in the warning area

Yes, it is a fact that Viking quickly dropped Istanbul right away from their Med cruises in 2016 when things destabilized in Turkey.

Thankfully, we had just visited there just beforehand in fall 2015.

We are on the May 14 Homelands and doing the pre-cruise in Stockholm and train ride from Bergen to Oslo post-cruise. I had second thoughts after the triple play of Stockholm, St Petersburg and Oslo incidents but I came to my senses and have no more reservations. I will, of course, be attentive to my surroundings but that is par for the course when traveling in any unfamiliar area.

We look forward to meeting you all and excited for this adventure of a lifetime!

Cheers!!

Would love to hear about the cruise as you are doing exactly what we are doing other than we are staying in Stockholm on our own for 2 days. I am curious if Viking has their own buses with Viking printed on them & their logo all over the bus. I know the river boat cruises do. We are worried about the buses really drawing attention to the passengers.

Would love to hear about the cruise as you are doing exactly what we are doing other than we are staying in Stockholm on our own for 2 days. I am curious if Viking has their own buses with Viking printed on them & their logo all over the bus. I know the river boat cruises do. We are worried about the buses really drawing attention to the passengers.

Is it your belief Viking buses and PAX will be targets of terrorists?

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before or on your cruise.

I will let you know but my best guess is that they do not have dedicated buses with Viking Logo on them. On the rivers in Europe, they can drive from port to port easily and so use their own buses. That is not practical on the Homelands Cruise. Regardless, it will be an obvious bus full of tourists. Hopefully, your mind can be put at ease before your trip so that you can relax and enjoy life to the fullest. Cheers!