Food on Viking Embla is horrible

goldenrod

We are on a 23 day cruise Amsterdam to Bucharest so far the food is crap! They had fish and chips tonight it was so strong and foul tasting could not eat it! Food on this tub is total garbage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think we get it! You've already stated you didn't like the cruise. Maybe you could talk to the cruise director and see if you can disembark and head back home.

To each his own, I guess. I don't see why you continue to be so miserable if you feel that strongly about room size, no flex in dining times, no room service and now food quality. For sure river cruising is not like your preferred ocean cruising.

As many people take river cruises and I've never heard someone so dissatisfied. Sorry your cruise isn't what you thought it would be.

Dear goldenrod,

We sincerely regret to learn that a few aspects of your cruise, including the food, have fallen below your expectations.

Your feedback is appreciated and has been noted but, since you are still on board, we encourage you to also discuss your concerns with the Hotel Manager.

If you wish to review your overall experience upon your return home, please send your contact information to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com and we’d be happy to arrange a phone call.

goldenrod, again, we are sorry for your disappointment, but hope there are some other aspects of your cruise that you have found enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We are on a 23 day cruise Amsterdam to Bucharest so far the food is crap! They had fish and chips tonight it was so strong and foul tasting could not eat it! Food on this tub is total garbage!

Dear goldenrod,

We sincerely regret to learn that a few aspects of your cruise, including the food, have fallen below your expectations.

Your feedback is appreciated and has been noted but, since you are still on board, we encourage you to also discuss your concerns with the Hotel Manager.

If you wish to review your overall experience upon your return home, please send your contact information to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com and we’d be happy to arrange a phone call.

goldenrod, again, we are sorry for your disappointment, but hope there are some other aspects of your cruise that you have found enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

No we intend to review it every day!!

Nice you replied and we have spoken to the hotel manager but she can't do anything about the inferior crap your serving we are so disappointed with the low quality of the food!

Dear Goldenrod

I cannot believe how crass you are being over the alleged poor food on viking. I have taken 5 river cruises in all - 3 with viking and have never found the food to be bad as you are describing or anywhere near it. You sound very angry and bitter. If you have an issue talk to the cruise director who will attempt to sort out your issues. However, by the sound of it, you are not interested in sorting this out. Best not to review each day as I fear it will not be a true reflection on your cruise.

Good gosh, while sometimes a meal or entree may not be to your liking, I can't imagine that everything is horrible. I guess we have no taste as we've done 9 river cruises with VIKING, one Oceans and more to come and can truthfully say we've enjoyed the offerings.

Obviously you didn't do your homework prior to booking or you'd have known dining times, no room service and small cabins. It would have been better to try a shorter cruise before taking on such a lengthy river cruise. Only my opinion.

Try to enjoy yourself a bit, if nothing else for your fellow cruise mates tho they're probably keeping a wide berth from your venom. I try not to be negative, everyone is different and while your expectations may be different, what service does it to to be so negative? Hey once this trip is over, you'll never have to return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once onboard a Viking ship I have always heard wonderful things about the ship, crew and food. It's a solid product.

What kind of research did you do? Seems nothing is to your liking and much you should have already known about. But bad food? I think not.

Could you specify what makes the food horrible?

The fish was old? The French fries were limp?

Overly salty - not salted at all - too many spices - no spices

raw chicken - grisly meat cooked to a shoe sole consistency

no vegetables - overcooked vegetables - only raw vegetables

no green salads - limp lettuce

etc.

Interesting comments about the "crap" food on the "Viking tub."

Please keep everyone updated, as you sem to be a very miserable person time on your cruise. BTW, have you been able to find any table partners to join you for dinner?

And, just curious, if this is your first river cruise, why did you decide to do a 23 day itinerary? The reason I ask is, DW and I are considering the same itinerary.

Hope you can find something positive about your river cruise experience, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before your next (ocean) cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and have a slice of apple pie every day before I die"

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Was goldenrod abducted and is being held on this ship against his/her will? If not, it seems likely he/she did not visit these boards and do their homework prior to booking. Doesn't seem like a "make lemonade out of lemons" kind of a person.

Many times, a vacation is what you make of it and the attitude you bring with you. As a person who has sailed more than 20 ocean cruises, some being luxury lines, and 6 river cruises, several on Viking, and also a self described foodie, I am curious as to your complete and total disappointment. I also live in Louisiana, a state with a high bar for good food. I have found the food served on Viking to be of high quality, using fresh ingredients, well prepared and pleasingly presented, with multiple options. At worst, I have always found the food good. And most times, I have found the food wonderful. On our Paris to Normandy Viking sailing in 2016 it was some of the best food I've ever enjoyed while traveling.

The fact that the original poster has taken issue with every aspect of the onboard experience says more about the attitude they have brought with them than about the trip they are on. Just my opinion of their opinions.

Oh, please don't.

Have been considering taking European river cruise in part, hearing that the PAX are more mature and well educated. And researching the river cruise forums to find a river cruise right for me,

So, here I thought river cruise PAX were civil. Guess I was wrong about that.

FWIW, was your comment meant to be sarcastic or just plain rude, and mean spirited? I'm old. Am I missing something here?

Edited by Kingofcool1947