will we sail under GGate Bridge?

If you look at the West Coast Departures board, you will see many threads about Pier 27, and the new Terminal. And the options if the Terminal is already booked. Happens a couple times a year.

You can't dock in SF Bay without sailing under the GGB. There is no docking facilities outside of SF Bay.

If you look at the West Coast Departures board, you will see many threads about Pier 27, and the new Terminal. And the options if the Terminal is already booked. Happens a couple times a year.

You can't dock in SF Bay without sailing under the GGB. There is no docking facilities outside of SF Bay.

great.....thank you so much for the information

I will go check out that board… It's going to be exciting to sail under it… As I have walked across it ..... Will be a totally different viewpoint :D

I do not know where the cruise ships dock in San Fran -- will we sail under the GG bridge?

Unless your cruise is embarking or debarking in SF you will sail under the bridge twice. Even for someone from SF it is a great vista. Be aware it will be windy so hold onto your hat or just leave it in the room. While I know everyone wants "good" weather, one of the best views of the Gate is as the fog billows in so maybe you will get that in one direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an overnight port for us on the Pacific coast cruise...... about how long does it take to get to the dock from the bridge? Trying to figure out how early we need to be out that morning - -of course I know we can ask once on the ship.

Also -- would like to see it before we go to dinner -- so would like the aprox amount of time it takes.

Thank you !

• 3 weeks later...

I have only been under the bridge twice, once on a cruise ship and once on a tour of the bay boat. Both times going out the weather was clear. I would risk the pigeon poop and look up. It is quite a site. Windy as heck though, and cold.

Flying is another story. SFO is the closest airport so I have flown out of there many times. I have yet to see the bridge either coming or going. Either we come into the airport from the wrong direction or, more often, it is so socked in with fog you couldn't even see the tops poking out.

I have only been under the bridge twice, once on a cruise ship and once on a tour of the bay boat. Both times going out the weather was clear. I would risk the pigeon poop and look up. It is quite a site. Windy as heck though, and cold.

Flying is another story. SFO is the closest airport so I have flown out of there many times. I have yet to see the bridge either coming or going. Either we come into the airport from the wrong direction or, more often, it is so socked in with fog you couldn't even see the tops poking out.

Unless you are coming from the Pacific Northwest, or Europe, you are unlikely to fly near the Golden Gate, when arriving at SFO. Maybe an odd weather patttern that happens 10 or 20 hours per year might cause an approach that includes the Golden Gate. That would be rare.

Unless you are coming from the Pacific Northwest, or Europe, you are unlikely to fly near the Golden Gate, when arriving at SFO. Maybe an odd weather patttern that happens 10 or 20 hours per year might cause an approach that includes the Golden Gate. That would be rare.

A large portion of the flights I've been on out of SFO have been to either Seattle, Vancouver or Spokane. Have still never seen the bridge from the air. They usually fly down the center of the state, go just beyond SFO and then hook back up to the airport.

The couple of times I have flown back and forth to Hawaii I'm fairly certain I could have at least gotten a glimpse but it was totally socked in with fog. Guess I'm going to have to settle for the views from Land's End or the Marin Headlands. Pretty spectacular at that.

The couple of times I have flown back and forth to Hawaii I'm fairly certain I could have at least gotten a glimpse but it was totally socked in with fog. Guess I'm going to have to settle for the views from Land's End or the Marin Headlands. Pretty spectacular at that.

The standard approach from Hawaii is to come ashore about 10 or so air miles south of the airport, then turn north over Palo Alto area and land in a northwest direction. So not near the GGB. Again, rare weather patterns can change that approach. We have to Hawaii about 30 times in the last 10-12 years.

Well, it has been 25-30 years or so since I flew to Hawaii. Still I seem to recall that we COULD have seen the bridge had there been no fog. It also seems to me I remember that flight patterns changed at some point, partly due to noise restrictions for the residential areas around the airport and partly because of 911. I could be dead wrong on that, since the memory just ain't what it used to be. Anyway, I KNOW I can sail under it. And will be doing so next April. :D And looking up, pigeons or no pigeons. Weather permitting, of course.