Medications

Kimblizz2

Are you flying to the port?

If so -- I strongly suggest you keep the medications in their original bottles.

My DH takes many, many medications and I keep all his bottles in a special medical bag in my carry-on. Since 9/11 we have had TSA agents check and open that medical bag several times and look at the bottles.

My DH takes many, many medications and I keep all his bottles in a special medical bag in my carry-on. Since 9/11 we have had TSA agents check and open that medical bag several times and look at the bottles.

It might be the large number of bottles that makes it look suspicious, as opposed to someone who just has a 7 day pill box

There is a simpler solution: Get copies of the labels on your mom's bottles (you can get these from the pharmacist - usually they are printed on paper and stapled on the outside of the bag the prescriptions are put into or the pharmacist can print them out for you) and put the pills in the pill organizer. Then bring the printed labels along. In the unlikely event someone wants to inspect your mom's pills, you will have all the prescriptions there. I doubt anyone will look at them when you board the ship as they should be in your mom's carryon. They might want to look when you return but it's unlikely and probably all but maybe 1/2 day to 1 days of medicine will have already been taken anyway so they will know these are her legit prescriptions. What would stand out is if the box is full of medicine on return. At that point customs might suspect that someone bought medications outside the country.

I ask my pharmacy to load up new bottles each containing the number of pills I will need (plus an extra 4 or 5 day's worth in case of travel interruptions or delays) and with the usual labels. It's not a big hassle and deals effectively with any governmental investigators who might get involved.

That said in lots of years (over 40) of international travel (including USSR and China) I have never been asked to have my meds examined at any border crossing.

.... What would stand out is if the box is full of medicine on return. At that point customs might suspect that someone bought medications outside the country.

As I said earlier you should always have a reserve supply of meds in case of travel interruptions or delays.

I ask my pharmacy to load up new bottles each containing the number of pills I will need (plus an extra 4 or 5 day's worth in case of travel interruptions or delays) and with the usual labels. It's not a big hassle and deals effectively with any governmental investigators who might get involved.

That said in lots of years (over 40) of international travel (including USSR and China) I have never been asked to have my meds examined at any border crossing.

As I said earlier you should always have a reserve supply of meds in case of travel interruptions or delays.

Our pharmacy does the same thing for us. I ask them for pills to cover the cruise, then pills for all of our hotel days and then 5 extra days of pills just in case we have problems getting home.

Now that I have medicare my prescriptions get sent to a mail order pharmacy. It is truly convenient to go on line and push the "re-new" button but a little hard for me to go in and get them packaged a certain way or get a print out. Of course, I can use the month before's copy and use it so just takes a little bit of planning. I get the "once a month" prescriptions, I get the mail order catalog (insert the word catalogue here - can't stop using the Canadian spelling on some things no matter how long I've lived in the states. Been to the theatre lately, eh?) ones and then the new ones.

Bottom line, you always get the paperwork with the prescription. Sometimes you just need to do some planning. I don't think anyone cares about your blood pressure medication. They might be a tad bit more interested in those pain meds you are carrying loosely in your wallet. If it has a street value, they probably should be in their original bottle.

My CPAP always get a closer look then my prescriptions. Unfortunately they are packed in the same carry on, in a baggie, so they lift that out to swab down the CPAP then put them all back in so I don't miss my flight. Maybe someone can explain why the careful look at the CPAP. It gets checked for explosives.

We are cruising on Anthem of the seas in 3 weeks!! Yay!!!! Can I bring my Moms medications in a prefilled medication box? I really don't want to have to bother with prefilling it while on board from the bottles.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

I carry meds in a multi pill case and also diabetes injectors all the time and have never had a problem. I do have a note from my doctor on the needles but nobody has ever asked to look at it.

DON

Now that I have medicare my prescriptions get sent to a mail order pharmacy. It is truly convenient to go on line and push the "re-new" button but a little hard for me to go in and get them packaged a certain way or get a print out. Of course, I can use the month before's copy and use it so just takes a little bit of planning. I get the "once a month" prescriptions, I get the mail order catalog (insert the word catalogue here - can't stop using the Canadian spelling on some things no matter how long I've lived in the states. Been to the theatre lately, eh?) ones and then the new ones.

Bottom line, you always get the paperwork with the prescription. Sometimes you just need to do some planning. I don't think anyone cares about your blood pressure medication. They might be a tad bit more interested in those pain meds you are carrying loosely in your wallet. If it has a street value, they probably should be in their original bottle.

My CPAP always get a closer look then my prescriptions. Unfortunately they are packed in the same carry on, in a baggie, so they lift that out to swab down the CPAP then put them all back in so I don't miss my flight. Maybe someone can explain why the careful look at the CPAP. It gets checked for explosives.

My next door neighbor is 63 years old and expressed her desire to take a cruise before she dies next year. She has a multitude of medical problems. Bone cancer. Lots of pain and suffering.

She uses a CPAP. Will the cruise lines provide distilled water?

Thank you.

My next door neighbor is 63 years old and expressed her desire to take a cruise before she dies next year. She has a multitude of medical problems. Bone cancer. Lots of pain and suffering.

She uses a CPAP. Will the cruise lines provide distilled water?

Thank you.

Feel sure they all do. Know for sure they do on Princess. We have a cruise pal who uses one.

Do not put CPAP or any meds or sharps into checked luggage. If something happens and your bags don't make it, your friends life saving equipment and needs need to be with you. If Flight attendants attempt to take your carry ins with medical needs you just need to declare that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do not put CPAP or any meds or sharps into checked luggage. If something happens and your bags don't make it, your friends life saving equipment and needs need to be with you. If Flight attendants attempt to take your carry ins with medical needs you just need to declare that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. We have made note of your advice to ensure medications, CPAP machine, and sharps container are in her carry-on luggage.

DW and I will accompany our neighbor and her caregiver on the cruise. Not sure where, but it will most likely be a short 7 day cruise to the Caribbean.

I'll check with Princess regarding booking adjoining connecting rooms.

Thanks again, and God bless you.

Thank you. We have made note of your advice to ensure medications, CPAP machine, and sharps container are in her carry-on luggage.

DW and I will accompany our neighbor and her caregiver on the cruise. Not sure where, but it will most likely be a short 7 day cruise to the Caribbean.

I'll check with Princess regarding booking adjoining connecting rooms.

Thanks again, and God bless you.

Oxygen

If you will require oxygen supplementation during your sailing, please contact our Fleet Medical Department at (661)753-2680. You will be asked to send a letter or prescription from your doctor. You will also be required to let us know the type of equipment you will be using and whether you will be bringing your own supplies or if you will be having the equipment delivered to the ship.

Special Needs/Access

Princess requires notification in advance if you choose to travel with a wheelchair.

We will request additional information to help us determine how best to meet your needs. Many areas require advance planning to be ready to accommodate wheelchairs and we cannot guarantee your needs will be met in the absence of this information.

We have a department designated to assist you in the coordination of these details so that we can provide you with a quality experience. If you have special requests or questions regarding accessibility, please have your travel consultant contact the Princess Access Office at 661-284-4521. you are required to provide your own wheelchair for travel on land tours.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/staterooms/wheelchair-accessible.html

I carry meds in a multi pill case and also diabetes injectors all the time and have never had a problem. I do have a note from my doctor on the needles but nobody has ever asked to look at it.

DON

I did the same thing and fly everywhere and no one ever asked. I use to carry a letter from my doctor but haven't been in years. I do have photo of all the pills labels and insulin pens labels on my phone in case anyone asked.