Mobility Scooter questions

rfkeith10

I am considering renting a mobility scooter for my next cruise. I am a seasoned cruiser but have never sailed with Oceania. I am looking for some feedback on any issues folks might have experienced with mobility scooters on Oceania ships. Specifically, the ease of maneuverability in hallways, public areas and getting on/off the ship. Also interested in rather or not Oceania has issues with the parking of the scooters in hallways or near elevators.

Thank You,

Ray

The R ships you may have some issues in the hallways they are a lot narrower than the O class ships (Marina & Riveira )

from the FAQ

I have an existing medical condition. What do I do?

Guests with any medical condition(s) or special needs that may require treatment or attention or accommodation during the voyage, or needing to travel with medical apparatus, including wheelchairs, motorized scooters, oxygen therapy, etc., must advise Oceania Cruises in writing at the time of deposit. Please note some ports of call may not be suitable for guests with limited mobility and in such cases, may disallow debarkation with a wheelchair or motorized scooter or for any individual with limited mobility

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

SOLAS does not allow any ships to have scooters in hallways. On the R ships the regular cabins are small and you would have a hard time in most to move around in the cabin with anything extra on the floor.

I would think you would need an accessible cabin or suite.

You should never see scooters in the hallways of any cruise ship. If you do, they are in direct violation of SOLAS:

All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) regulations, it cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Ignoring these regulations can and does impede the safety of others whether disabled or abled bodied moving about the hallways not to mention impedes the safety of all on board the ship in the event of an actual emergency.

-

That said, on the R ships (Regatta, Nautica, etc), there are steep door thresholds on outside doors (to and from pool area, etc), and you may need assistance in maneuvering them. We have seen and traveled with folks who utilize a scooter and booked a HC room, and found it to be fine on the larger O ships. Beware that at some ports, the ramp may be very steep and you may need assistance getting down it, and back onto the ship.

-

You may wish to contact the special needs dept, and confirm the door widths, to verify your scooter will or will not fit in a std cabin. I am not familiar with the door widths, or your scooter width. You may also wish to post this on the disabled forum on CC, you may get more replies ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 )

Thanks to all for your posts. I appreciate your thoughts. I am aware of the SOLAS requirements. It has been my experience in the past on other cruises that it was common to see scooters parked outside staterooms and near elevators. I guess I was curious as to how tolerant Oceania was on the issue. I rented a scooter back in October on the NCL Escape and didn't use it because of hassles associated with narrow hallways and crowded public areas---I was afraid of running over someone. My mobility is not so limited that a scooter is necessary but rather a convenience. Based on the size of the Oceania ships, perhaps I can do without.

Again, thanks to all that took the time to post...

Ray

Quotes: "I have seen scooters parked in the hallways on Oceania, but it is a clear violation of SOLAS. Scooter, wheelchairs, etc are supposed to be in the cabins to keep the hallways unobstructed." AND "On our recent Insignia cruise there was a scooter parked in the hallway a few cabins away from us for the entire 22 nights. I found it hard to believe that Oceania allowed it, as it's a clear violation of SOLAS regulations."

I also have seen scooters in the hallways, those on the Riveria. I walk the halls very early in the morning and they were either in front of someones door or tucked in spaces near cabins. I wondered at the time it if was legal to do so, one was definitely an obstacle.

I have also seen them parked in the short hallways that cross the ship where they do not interfere as much. Looks like O is more relaxed on this but I would not count on it as being guaranteed to be allowed - each captain could set his own standards.

On the pool deck going through the doors leading indoors/outdoors is tough - you need someone to hold those doors, otherwise the rest of the ship is easy to get around. This is standard on other cruise lines also.

Not sure about the O ships but the 4 R ships have an accessible washroom on deck 4 and 9.

Staff will be called to help if you need help on the ramps to get on or off. On the R ships there is no elevator down to the tender area so you need to walk down 1 flight of stairs and be able to walk onto the tender.

Regarding parking scooters in the hallways, whether legal or not ... In Nov '05 I needed a wheelchair when we were on Regatta to get to the venues outside of our room. There was no way my wheelchair could have negotiated the hallway if a scooter had been in the aisle. (Back then I don't think they ever were.)

But the cleaning crews had their equipment in the hallway, and that was hard enough to get around. At least I wasn't totally incapacitated. I had torn my meniscus and walking was very difficult, but it wasn't impossible for a short distance. So if I had to get up and hobble past a blockage, I could.

But not everyone using a wheelchair is able to do so.

Mura

You may wish to check out www.thepreismans.com as they used a scooter on an R ship in 2015 and on Celebrity this past January, with pictures to show how it was stored inside the cabin.

Yes Carol uses the travel scoot but not all rental scooters are that small

some are quite large & do not fit through the doorways

Yes Carol uses the travel scoot but not all rental scooters are that small

some are quite large & do not fit through the doorways

+1, also, those small scooters are designed for passengers who are also on the petite side. :halo:

Most require under 150 lbs.

I use a smRt scoot and just returned from 34 nights on sirena. I do not use on ship. I only need for distances. Everything was a breeze including tendering.

Both smart scoot and travel scoot are rated for 300 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not know what the rules are, but I can't imagine a scooter parked in the hallway. There is not that much room.

SOLAS does not allow any ships to have scooters in hallways. On the R ships the regular cabins are small and you would have a hard time in most to move around in the cabin with anything extra on the floor.

I would think you would need an accessible cabin or suite.

Well, we were on Rivieria in Feb/March and there were in fact motorized scooters in the hallway of not only our deck but 2 others that we saw.

We also had to wait for elevators because they are not large enough to accommodate a scooter and too many other people.

Not only that, once we were in the main dining room and they had so many park in the exit door. Someone said something should something happened and you needed to get out. They spend over 30 mins moving the scooters out.

Darn, maybe they should ban mobility challenged passengers and their scooters from all public areas!!!

Darn, maybe they should ban mobility challenged passengers and their scooters from all public areas!!!

Sarcasm noted but a valid point was made.

We too experienced several scooters parked at the entrance of the Terrace Cafe and even Jaques and it was difficult to get around them. The ship hallways and restaurant entrances are not designed for numbers of scooters and walkers.

I didn't didn't take it the way I said it---You have to think about safety for everyone on the ship. When it's not safe you need to follow the rules-that's why they have exit signs and the area needs to be ready should you need them.

I didn't didn't take it the way I said it---You have to think about safety for everyone on the ship. When it's not safe you need to follow the rules-that's why they have exit signs and the area needs to be ready should you need them.

I understand and agree with you completely. If scooters cause a safety issue in any of the public areas, Oceania needs to work on ways to eliminate/fix the problem.

I understand and agree with you completely. If scooters cause a safety issue in any of the public areas, Oceania needs to work on ways to eliminate/fix the problem.

Well, there are public areas and public areas.

The concern here is where to store the scooters overnight. Leaving them in the hallways is dangerous, inappropriate and illegal (see SOLAS).

The problem then becomes that people who need to use the scooters are often ill or frail. Hard to make them lift it, so who should do it?

Well, there are public areas and public areas.

The concern here is where to store the scooters overnight. Leaving them in the hallways is dangerous, inappropriate and illegal (see SOLAS).

The problem then becomes that people who need to use the scooters are often ill or frail. Hard to make them lift it, so who should do it?

? Between the rock and the hard place.