Live: From Regatta

Artful

New to Oceania and Regatta, here are some first impressions. We are on the way from Charleston to Hamilton, Bermuda. Calm seas, beautiful sunny weather. The ship is lovely. I was pleasantly surprised that the concierge balcony cabin is not as tiny as I had envisioned. It is well layed out, with ample storage for a ten-day cruise. Furnishings in the public rooms are tasteful and provide many cosy seating areas for quiet conversation. The ship is spotless. The food has generally been excellent with a very few misses. Dinner in Toscana last night was excellent - both my rack of lamb and my husband's lobster. The service has been cheerful and willing. Trivia contests are fun. Our tour to Kennedy Space Center was excellent (ships tour). We went to NASA areas not often seen by tourists and were taken into the Apollo exhibit before the public arrived. Most excursions are overpriced, but that one was very worthwhile. All in all, very nice cruise so far.

Since we'll be on Regatta for two sailings next year, when she visited Charleston Monday, I called my DW so she could see the actual ship we'll be on. She called me later to tell me she thought the ship looked beautiful. We'll be in an aft Concierge cabin for the Panama Canal and Alaska.

Here is a picture I took from across the harbor with an iPhone. Sorry for the poor resolution.

Oceania%20Regatta_zps180gybat.jpg

So any details about your cruise or the ship that you wish to share; we'd enjoy that very much. Thankx.

She is just as pretty on the inside as on the outside. Decor is traditional. The Preismans have posted excellent photos from a few years ago, detailing each public room, menus, and pics of food. We see crew members constantly checking for dust and cleaning mirrors, etc. my husband's mattress was sloping to the outside. He told the cabin attendant, and she and her assistant changed it that day. Now it is perfect. The crew seems very responsive to any requests.

Dinner at Polo was good last night. I had a petite filet mignon with bernaise sauce that was done perfectly. My husband had the prime rib which he did not care for as much. It seems they grill each slice to desired temp, so it more closely resembles a rib eye steak. Sides were tasty.

We had a lot of fun at Trivia this morning with other people we recently met. Lots of laughs and very enjoyable.

We have not gotten to the evening entertainment yet, so no firsthand report there. Friends of ours have enjoyed each night's performances.

We are on our way to Bermuda at full speed due to a medical emergency. We will arrive two hours early to get someone to a hospital.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One other comment that might be helpful: We discovered that concierge guests or higher can have the steward keep your welcome champagne bottle to be sent to any dining room for you to drink in the evening if you do not wish to open it when departing.

One other comment that might be helpful: We discovered that concierge guests or higher can have the steward keep your welcome champagne bottle to be sent to any dining room for you to drink in the evening if you do not wish to open it when departing.

Is the welcome champagne decent? The ones you get on Celebrity aren't that good. As a result I usually gifted it to a deserving crew member.

Is the welcome champagne decent? The ones you get on Celebrity aren't that good. As a result I usually gifted it to a deserving crew member.

I don't remember the brand. It's not Dom Perignon, but drinkable.

It is a personal preference

last year we had

i-LQvLcFh-M.jpg

it was fine

I prefer Perrier Jouet ;)

We used to ignore the bottle or give it away to someone until someone we gave it to thanked us and said how much they liked it. We did try it the next time and found that it was quite pleasant. I should have remembered my mom's advice "Try it before you turn your nose up at it"

We just take it with us to the specialties they chill it for you in no time at all :D

To answer your question, Chuck Town, Regatta is our favorite ship. Cozy, like a British Gentlemen's Club. The library is outstandingly beautiful and relaxing. Crew are wonderful. We enjoyed the string quartet each evening, but seldom made it to the theater for night ntertainment. Those we have seen were fine, just not Vegas Glitz. I like having no photographer bugging me, no art auction. Horizons, the forward-facing lounge, is a great spot for quiet conversations and views during the day. Hope you love it, too!

Chucktown Steve, do not miss 4 o'clock tea. It is an elegant treat. Lovely small sandwiches, delightful scones with cream, and an array of pastries served on beautiful china while listening to the string quartet.

Chucktown Steve, do not miss 4 o'clock tea. It is an elegant treat. Lovely small sandwiches, delightful scones with cream, and an array of pastries served on beautiful china while listening to the string quartet.

Thankx. My spousal unit loves those teas. She gets her girlfriends together for them at local restaurants and churches periodically.

Last night following a so-so dinner in the Grand Dining Room I enjoyed listening to the string quartet playing at the top of the Grand Staircase.

Other posters have correctly characterized most passengers on Oceania ships, or at least for this cruise, as 65 or older. Many in their seventies or eighties. I have seen many canes, plus a few walkers or scooters. We are right at home. Fellow passengers are interesting and well-travelled. We have been sharing a table each night at dinner and enjoy chatting. Almost all we have spoken with are returning Oceania cruisers.

We have not seen gotten to the shows, as the offerings have not appealed to us so far or we have been tired from touring.

Had a lovely four-hour private taxi tour with Millard Lightbourne from St. George's today. I would recommend him highly to anyone stopping in Bermuda.

After returning to the ship we had lunch at the Terrace. I am not particularly fond of buffets. I find Terrace has too much "dinner" type food for me. I was wishing for an egg salad sandwich, a BLT, or a grilled cheese sandwich. Not much traditional "lunch" food available.

Tonight we will be repeating dinner in Toscana. We are now sailing toward Nassau looking toward a sea day tomorrow.

get some bread slices cheese, cold meat, tomato slices & make a sandwich

lot of things to make an interesting sandwich ;)

We usually have salad as a "lunch" meal

try Waves for other types of lunch sandwiches or burgers

.Thankx. I'm not a champagne snob. I think Dom is over rated and over priced. I just want something that doesn't have so much sulfates that it leaves a headache behind. :cool:

If you think Dom is $$$$ try asking for Rodier Krystal.... at $300 to 400 a bottle... Its all good... never had a wine that was un drinkable or enjoyable on any level. All wine is good :hearteyes:wine some is better than others from Box wine to Premier Cru.... So no big deal.

I always bring some exceptional bottles for special times... but hey O wine is lovely.

To answer your question, Chuck Town, Regatta is our favorite ship. Cozy, like a British Gentlemen's Club. The library is outstandingly beautiful and relaxing. Crew are wonderful. We enjoyed the string quartet each evening, but seldom made it to the theater for night ntertainment. Those we have seen were fine, just not Vegas Glitz. I like having no photographer bugging me, no art auction. Horizons, the forward-facing lounge, is a great spot for quiet conversations and views during the day. Hope you love it, too!

Thats precisely why I love Regatta.... to me the classiest, and most beautiful decor of a by gone era, I laugh when some call her "dated" You bet your bippi.. she is dated in traditional ambiance that reminds one of where cursing came to be not just a travel mode for entertainment but an elegant experience. Will be on her in 13 days.... :hearteyes:

As my review is not up yet on the main review board, I will just add a few parting thoughts. We had a wonderful lobster dinner in Toscana and an equally fine meal in Polo the following night. Our steak and chops came exactly as ordered. The side and desserts were delicious as well. We finally made it to the evening show the final night they performed. It was spirited and entertaining. In sum, a good cruise on a very beautiful ship with the exception of our stateroom, which was uncomfortable compared to past accommodations on other cruise lines. We would travel with Oceania again, but only on the larger ships with their bigger cabins.

As my review is not up yet on the main review board, I will just add a few parting thoughts. We had a wonderful lobster dinner in Toscana and an equally fine meal in Polo the following night. Our steak and chops came exactly as ordered. The side and desserts were delicious as well. We finally made it to the evening show the final night they performed. It was spirited and entertaining. In sum, a good cruise on a very beautiful ship with the exception of our stateroom, which was uncomfortable compared to past accommodations on other cruise lines. We would travel with Oceania again, but only on the larger ships with their bigger cabins.

Which level of room were you in?