Launch

Now that its almost upon us what does everybody think? Is it best to book in the first few days or wait till later and hope the price falls and maybe save a few bob.Not too fussed about getting the best cabin by booking early more on price i,m thinking.

I have just compared prices for Discovery 2 for this May and roughly the same dates for May 2018. I realise they are different itineraries, but the difference in prices is quite staggering. They are offering the May 14th 2017 sailing with Manchester flights in a Grand Suite for £2172 per couple. The price quoted for the May 18th 2018 sailing in the same category of cabin with similar flights is £3459. I am aware that the 2017 one departs from Malaga and the 2018 from Corfu and I am also aware that cabin availability for this May's cruise is restricted, but at over £1200 difference I think I will wait a while before booking next year's cruise.

I paid £2248 last year for a 14 nighter in May on Discovery from Palma with 'free' AI. the equivalent cruise next year on Explorer including 'all inclusive' is £2406. On Dream, again from Palma it is £2294. The price for Explorer is probably reflecting the newness of the ship. These were single cabins.

About a 7% increase which is not bad given the pounds decline in the last year.

I have just compared prices for Discovery 2 for this May and roughly the same dates for May 2018. I realise they are different itineraries, but the difference in prices is quite staggering. They are offering the May 14th 2017 sailing with Manchester flights in a Grand Suite for £2172 per couple. The price quoted for the May 18th 2018 sailing in the same category of cabin with similar flights is £3459. I am aware that the 2017 one departs from Malaga and the 2018 from Corfu and I am also aware that cabin availability for this May's cruise is restricted, but at over £1200 difference I think I will wait a while before booking next year's cruise.

Think prices are cheap for the 14th May 2017 as it is the inaugural sailing and there could well be teething troubles (not too many we hope as we are on then).

Been quoted a price today for 2 people ...standard .balcony cabin....from Newcastle...July 2018...came to over £5000.

Never paid that sort of price before even with AI ....and that is with 4/5 star cruise companies

Been quoted a price today for 2 people ...standard .balcony cabin....from Newcastle...July 2018...came to over £5000.

Never paid that sort of price before even with AI ....and that is with 4/5 star cruise companies

Hi Janny.

I think i was looking at the same cruise,was it Fire & Ice,,,,to Iceland?

I don't think so!!!

JeanieC

Standard balcony 28th july 14 nights £4812.80 is what the website says.

Does it...the price given was in a Thomson shop plus she said £45 to choose cabin and £59 for coach transport to Newcastle.

Even at that slightly reduced price one would have to drink an awful lot ....and we are not excessive drinkers ...to be worth the price. We usually pay at the most £130pppn and sometimes a lot lot less for an AI balcony cabin.

Looks like prices in general are up, which to be honest is understandable, but they do appear to be higher than we expected, our med cruise this year has risen by £1k for next year and the Adriatic for one week is up £700 so we will wait, I think the cabin reservation fee is now £48 not £45. Will 2018 see us for the first time trying another line for September cruise????

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Looks like prices in general are up, which to be honest is understandable, but they do appear to be higher than we expected, our med cruise this year has risen by £1k for next year and the Adriatic for one week is up £700 so we will wait, I think the cabin reservation fee is now £48 not £45. Will 2018 see us for the first time trying another line for September cruise????

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Us too 😞. We have only sailed with thomson but will be looking elsewhere

Sent from my D5803 using Forums mobile app

Us too 😞. We have only sailed with thomson but will be looking elsewhere

Sent from my D5803 using Forums mobile app

We have cruised with many different cruise lines...including Thomson...I think it gives a more varied experience. Now we can't do fly cruises ...can only cruise from the UK

I think a lot of people will be "shocked" with the Thomson prices and while the Discovery will be a better ship than the Thomson one one we sailed on I don't think Thomson cruise ships are in the same class as a Celebrity cruise ship.

For a similar itinerary ....balcony cabin...July 2018....it is cheaper to cruise with Celebrity and it includes a better AI....speciality coffees/teas are included and " tip"s and they don't charge £45(8) for the privilege of choosing your cabin.....Think I know which I will be choosing

I am also surprised at the pricing strategy.

Thomson have clearly spotted the gap in the market for good mid-sized ships, which has been created by the mega blocks of flats all the major lines have brought into service.

We've been on Discovery twice and much prefer her to any of the ships we've sailed on from P&O, RCI, Carnival etc.

However, while we thought the Discovery cruises were very good value, and expected some increase, I think the hike in the basic cost is excessive and possibly unsustainable.

I question the logic of 'enforced AI' which obviously is one of the reasons for such price increases, instead of keeping the prices reasonable and offering the AI as an option. With such port intensive itineraries many people will not get good value from AI, which they are paying for in the price of the cruise.

I can see some early price reductions in the offing.

As I wrote elsewhere, these price increases are in large part due to the fall in value of the pound. This will probably impact the price UK passengers pay on any cruise line.

The launch prices are not fixed and the fares will vary according to supply and demand as they have always done.

Here's a good one! I am travelling solo and considering 2 weeks on Discovery in January in the Caribbean. To meet up with friends already booked on that cruise.

The website will only offer a single inside cabin - no other options, so I went into the local Thomson shop to ask what they could do. They have to phone up to get an alternate cabin, but checked on their system that there were cabins available - by asking for 2 people.

I said that ideally my prefrence would be for a balcony but if too high then an outside, so they started with a balcony. The online price for 2 people was around £4800 or similar, but the price they got on the phone for 1 person was £5108. The girls questioned this and was told that it was correct!!!

Guess who will not be going to a balcony cabin??? The shop staff suggested booking for 2 people and then just having 1 as a no show.

The price for an outside wasn't too bad in the grand scheme of things as a solo passenger, but I am still 'thinking about it'

Single outside cabins are available on some January '18 Discovery cruises so your preferred dates must be sold out. There are only 15 outside singles on the Discoveries and you have to be quick once the brochure is released.

Personally if I had to go on that particular cruise I would rather have a inside single at about £2500 than spend thousands for a view of the sea at night!.

Standard balcony 28th july 14 nights £4812.80 is what the website says.

Similar cruise with P&O to the Baltic in July from £4998 for balcony cabin

Then P & O is more expensive especially when you add drinks and tips to the overall cost