Are gratuity included on Viking ocean cruises

cowes20

There seems to be some mis information regarding gratuities on Viking ocean cruises. Some literature states they are included and you tip those staff personally that give outstanding service. Is this correct?

I believe it depends which country you are from.....prices are adjusted for those countries where it is included.

They are not included with United States residents.

That said, very rarely there will be a special promotion when additional packages are included, and I have seen - not very often - gratuities as an offered package

I believe it depends which country you are from.....prices are adjusted for those countries where it is included.

They are not included with United States residents.

That said, very rarely there will be a special promotion when additional packages are included, and I have seen - not very often - gratuities as an offered package

Were those offers perhaps being offered by a travel agency and not Viking per se? Not sure I have ever seen Viking offering "gratuities included" in the US market.

I've seen the UK website and there, the pricing does include gratuities and return air. I've not checked out any of the other markets (AUS, NZ and Canada).

Heads up, if you do find a pre-paid gratuities/gratutities included deal from a TA, make sure that it is not given to you as an on board credit because I do not believe that Viking will let you pay the gratuities with an OBC. There was some talk of this on another thread in the last day or so.

Viking does let you put gratuities on your on board account. In fact, they are automatically added to your account on the day before disembarkation. You make ask to have them removed and you increase or decrease the amount. It will be explained in the cruise docs you receive right before sailing.

We mature aged Aussies have not grow up with a 'tipping' mentality. It is just not what we do (although this has changed somewhat and will continue changing over time no doubt). The approach to tipping varies from location to location as well (big city v small town etc). We booked our upcoming July cruise through Viking's Australian office in Sydney - gratuities were included in the quoted price without us needing to ask, and we still get a nice OBC. Exactly how the overall price compares when taking into account exchange rates etc, I am not sure. We looked at the airfare deal and whilst the price was pretty good we would rather have the certainty of selecting our flights, airline and route and did not take it up.

We mature aged Aussies have not grow up with a 'tipping' mentality....

... We booked our upcoming July cruise through Viking's Australian office in Sydney - gratuities were included in the quoted price ....

In those countries where folks do not generally tip, I believe it is common for it to be included in the price.

One source of confusion could be USA Viking promotions for Viking River cruises where they offer a choice of bonus items one of which is tips included. Again a USA market river cruise promotion.

Our cruise documents from Viking Ocean describes a $15 per person per day charge added on board to your final invoice. It says "To make changes to the gratuity amounts or pay in cash, stop by Explorers’ Desk."

When ordering from the bar onboard, the tip is automatically added.

If all these countries US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zeland only spoke different languages, there would be less confusion on this issue.

I blame the Brits for this problem.

One source of confusion could be USA Viking promotions for Viking River cruises where they offer a choice of bonus items one of which is tips included. Again a USA market river cruise promotion.

Our cruise documents from Viking Ocean describes a $15 per person per day charge added on board to your final invoice. It says "To make changes to the gratuity amounts or pay in cash, stop by Explorers’ Desk."

When ordering from the bar onboard, the tip is automatically added.

If all these countries US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zeland only spoke different languages, there would be less confusion on this issue.

Well, yes, very true. Contrary to what my compatriots would like to believe, English is the world's "second language" not because the US is "the most powerful nation in the world" but because "the sun never set" on the British Empire. English had spread around the globe long, long before the US became a global player.

However, Phil, the tipping thing, that is squarely on our shoulders! There is no shifting blame on that one.

I totally missed a very short promotion that Viking offered some Oceans itineraries last year in the spring that offered the drink package or prepaid gratuities.....we were in the midst of finalizing details for a big trip and I didn't jump in time!:(:(

Haven't seen it again... it sure would have been nice to have for the upcoming Amazon trip. Darn.

If only the colonials would speak the Queen's english properly that would save even more confusion[emoji6]

Love the username too, philw1776 - and hope that shows that even after over 240 years our nations still have a dry sense of humour in common!

Sent from my mobile using the CC forums app

If only the colonials would speak the Queen's english properly that would save even more confusion[emoji6]

Love the username too, philw1776 - and hope that shows that even after over 240 years our nations still have a dry sense of humour in common!

Sent from my mobile using the CC forums app

It's the zip code from my former town Sudbury, MA. Sudbury pissed off snooty neighboring Concord & Lexington by somehow snagging the 01776 zip code when they were first issued.

I totally missed a very short promotion that Viking offered some Oceans itineraries last year in the spring that offered the drink package or prepaid gratuities.....we were in the midst of finalizing details for a big trip and I didn't jump in time!:(:(

Haven't seen it again... it sure would have been nice to have for the upcoming Amazon trip. Darn.

Not wishing to rub salt in the wound, but when I booked my 2018 cruise in February of this year, the promotion from Viking in the UK was:

£500 pp discount, included gratuities, and included upgrade to the Silver Spirits Drinks package.

On the initial 2018 World Cruise promotions all gratuities and service fees, plus the Silver Spirits beverage pkg, were included. (Plus onboard medical services, full-service laundry and Business Class air). Additionally there were OBCs for excursions, spa services and shopping. I haven't looked recently to see if these OBCs have changed.

It's the zip code from my former town Sudbury, MA. Sudbury pissed off snooty neighboring Concord & Lexington by somehow snagging the 01776 zip code when they were first issued.

I didn't grow up around here so I always wondered how Sudbury lucked out. Now I know.

On the initial 2018 World Cruise promotions all gratuities and service fees, plus the Silver Spirits beverage pkg, were included. (Plus onboard medical services, full-service laundry and Business Class air). Additionally there were OBCs for excursions, spa services and shopping. I haven't looked recently to see if these OBCs have changed.

Currently the OBC's for US residents is 1/2 the original offer back in early 2016.

(And they appear to be gone for the 120 day cruise!)

Edited by Tom.in.nc
120 day update.

Good for Sudbury MA!

Despite the joshing that we sometimes exchange I certainly do relish the common history we share and I am glad that Americans don't usually hold the events of those times against us brits..... in hindsight taxation without representation was a really bad idea!

Also sorry for having taking this thread off on a bit of a tangent.

Currently the OBC's for US residents is 1/2 the original offer back in early 2016.

(And they appear to be gone for the 120 day cruise!)

Not surprising. We are booked on the 120-day cruise and the WC is pretty well sold out. That may all change once final payment is due.