Potential booking

jstuartys

Hi Oceania-ers:)

My wife and I are looking to book a Alaskan Cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary in 2019. Obviously it's too early to book now, but I assume the 19 summer cruises will start booking later this summer.

We are looking at HAL, Celebrity, and Princess... but our travel agent is suggesting we look at Oceania as well. We have only cruised Disney in the past, but without the kids we want to try something different. TA thinks we may like the smaller ship experience of Oceania because we are a pretty laid back couple and we are a little turned off my huge crowds and crazy night life.

For those of you that have traveled with other lines, is Oceania a little calmer and more laid back? I got a quote today for a 2018 sailing for reference, and while it does cost a little more, it was less than I expected so my interest in peeked.

Are smaller ship cruises all that different?

I apologize if this get asked all the time... I just like getting opinions from people who have lived it!

Thanks!

I think you'll enjoy it. Alaskan Cruises are a great way to see a lot, but still have the comfort of you cabin. We've cruised Alaska before-but it's been awhile. WE did just book an Alaska cruise for 2019 but on Regent-it starts in Tokyo and works its way down to Canada.

Sorry forgot, it should be easy going with no some many kids as other lines will have. We don't like a lot of tours so to us when everybody gets off--it's pretty nice. We'll walk around town a little and just see what we want than back on the ship and sit back and enjoy.

There is a whole different feel to a smaller ship

less crowds, less line ups no formal nights

a more relaxed atmosphere than the main stream lines

Some of the Alaska cruises are promoted to families so if you want less children around (not that there are lots) just avoid those specific sailings

I would give them a try & see if Oceania fits your wants/needs

Lyn

I think Oceania would be an excellent choice - more relaxed atmosphere and best food and service among those cruise lines you mention.

Generally speaking, also fewest children except as mentioned above by Lyn - avoid those cruises.

Another thing to consider is that Princess ad HAL have best itineraries to Alaska due to the fact that they have access to some areas that other cruise lines do not (have been grandfathered those rights). Also, Princess has excellent pre/post land packages to Alaska. Oceania is the most inclusive of those lines but also most expensive.

Which of these factors is most important to you?

For food there isn't a comparison, Oceania is easily the best.Total cost of the cruise should be taken into account. Oceania includes all non-alcoholic beverages, air, as well as O life benefits in the fare. Another factor are the ports. Sitka is a a very artsy community, quaint, that also has a bear rescue organization. You can see black and brown bears there.

Thanks all! Lots to consider!

And just so I don't sound like a total sourpuss... I don't mind kids. I just don't want mine around for this one;)

I found it interesting that a 7 night on Oceania is actually less expensive than a 7 night on the Disney Wonder for the same week...and that's before adding air for the Wonder. Apparently I am already used to sailing on luxury lines. Haha

One sailing on Oceania and you'll be spoiled. We went on our first Oceania cruise in the Med to celebrate our 50th anniversary last November. We felt we were in the minority; as we had never sailed Oceania before. Most fellow cruisers had sailed multiple times with Oceania. We booked Alaska for August 2017, before we disembarked. It's quite low key; but everyone was friendly. Service and food were beyond reproach. Go for it!

We're booked on a June 2018 10 day round trip cruise on O out of Seattle that goes to Hubbard. We sailed O for the first time in 2014. To date it has been the best food we've encountered at sea to date. If food and service are worth it to you, O is superior to the mass market, larger ships IMHO.

If you're booking early on the Regatta, consider an A2 Concierge aft cabin. We are booked in 6093. Plus when you go Concierge class, you'll double the free specialty restaurant reservations in addition to the category's other perks.

My wife and I are looking to book a Alaskan Cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary in 2019. Obviously it's too early to book now, but I assume the 19 summer cruises will start booking later this summer.

We are looking at HAL, Celebrity, and Princess... but our travel agent is suggesting we look at Oceania as well. We have only cruised Disney in the past, but without the kids we want to try something different. TA thinks we may like the smaller ship experience of Oceania because we are a pretty laid back couple and we are a little turned off my huge crowds and crazy night life.

For those of you that have traveled with other lines, is Oceania a little calmer and more laid back? I got a quote today for a 2018 sailing for reference, and while it does cost a little more, it was less than I expected so my interest in peeked.

I apologize if this get asked all the time... I just like getting opinions from people who have lived it!

Thanks!

You have a HUGE surprise... the small ships are, in Alaska 1000% better, getting on an off with only 500-600 is way different than 3000. No nickel and dime, no soda cards, no extra cost restaurants, no coffee cards, free bottled water, no art auctions, no ship photo guys, no waiters hustling drinks No formal night all casual. No faux elite class system...everyone treated the same. Meals the others... lobster night is the height of their 7 day cruise....On O you can order lobster in every restaurant, every day along with grilled meats and fish... The pool grill has Lobster and filet sandwich and Kobe beef burgers ( none of this is extra charge) want a 32 oz rib steak or Prime rib...no problem.

Best of all are the well mannered low key passengers, no silly pool games, drive in movies, ....its all like being in a upscale British country boutique hotel.... The Regatta is maybe the most elegant and classy ship I have ever been on:hearteyes:. Princess, Disney, Celeb HAL are not even in the same league !

A word of caution Book early May or September before or after school vacations....Alaska is the one time O invites children:loudcry: to their adult theme ships... The SF to Vancouver or the Vancouver to SF ( 10-11 days is their best cruise value.)

Speaking of value I did a check comparing a HAL cruise and a O cruise on a veranda, all charges, etc... the difference was on O it was about $84 a day more....

;p The value being without crowds and hype and nickel and dime....is priceless

Yes, at the risk of cutting the hand off that feeds me as a Disney stock holder, Disney is the highest price cruise you can take....great revenue and they are building 2 more ships for 4000... You pay a lot to be in a floating disneyland... with a thousand little girls dressed as princesses it can get....well....hectic.( One reason they dont allow people to brings guns and other weapons on board)

Edited by Hawaiidan

You have a HUGE surprise... the small ships are, in Alaska 1000% better, getting on an off with only 500-600 is way different than 3000. No nickel and dime, no soda cards, no extra cost restaurants, no coffee cards, free bottled water, no art auctions, no ship photo guys, no waiters hustling drinks No formal night all casual. No faux elite class system...everyone treated the same. Meals the others... lobster night is the height of their 7 day cruise....On O you can order lobster in every restaurant, every day along with grilled meats and fish... The pool grill has Lobster and filet sandwich and Kobe beef burgers ( none of this is extra charge) want a 32 oz rib steak or Prime rib...no problem.

Best of all are the well mannered low key passengers, no silly pool games, drive in movies, ....its all like being in a upscale British country boutique hotel.... The Regatta is maybe the most elegant and classy ship I have ever been on:hearteyes:. Princess, Disney, Celeb HAL are not even in the same league !

A word of caution Book early May or September before or after school vacations....Alaska is the one time O invites children:loudcry: to their adult theme ships... The SF to Vancouver or the Vancouver to SF ( 10-11 days is their best cruise value.)

Speaking of value I did a check comparing a HAL cruise and a O cruise on a veranda, all charges, etc... the difference was on O it was about $84 a day more....

;p The value being without crowds and hype and nickel and dime....is priceless

Yes, at the risk of cutting the hand off that feeds me as a Disney stock holder, Disney is the highest price cruise you can take....great revenue and they are building 2 more ships for 4000... You pay a lot to be in a floating disneyland... with a thousand little girls dressed as princesses it can get....well....hectic.( One reason they dont allow people to brings guns and other weapons on board)

This one pretty much sealed the deal for me:) haha. thanks.

Yeah, it totally seems worth it. I risk spoiling us a bit.. but it's a big anniversary and it will be the honeymoon we never got. So, it's worth it. I looked a couple of the other luxury lines. Most of the others seem to include the alcohol. We don't drink much (me at all, the wife an occasional glass of wine), so not having it included is actually a benefit for us. Don't want to pay for what I am not using.

Haha. We do love Disney.. but for the kids sake, not for ours. It's very nice and a lovely family vacation. But this one is about US;)

Thanks again all!

This one pretty much sealed the deal for me:) haha. thanks.

Yeah, it totally seems worth it. I risk spoiling us a bit.. but it's a big anniversary and it will be the honeymoon we never got. So, it's worth it. I looked a couple of the other luxury lines. Most of the others seem to include the alcohol. We don't drink much (me at all, the wife an occasional glass of wine), so not having it included is actually a benefit for us. Don't want to pay for what I am not using.

Haha. We do love Disney.. but for the kids sake, not for ours. It's very nice and a lovely family vacation. But this one is about US;)

Thanks again all!

You have worked your whole life for others and your kids. It is only reasonable that you take time for yourselves. I had kids, all well and good, Now that is the reason i switched from the likes of HAL/Celeb Regent etc... People on O dont hate kids its just that feel they too need a place to vacation without the demands placed on them by their kids. I love O for that reason

Oceania, and specifically the Regatta is the epitome of an adult themed refuge from the world. You wont be spoiling yourselves, so much as enlightening your selves....pretty much like Charles Coleman in Shangrila as he passed through the pass and into the valley..... a whole new world before him.;);)

Thanks!

Hi. I havnt yet cruised with oceania. However do have upcoming bookings with them. I have briefly been onboard one of there ships.

This was my vibe.

On the mass market lines you usually find areas that are nice and areas you try to avoid. All the areas on oceania looked nice and eager to experience every one of them.

In regards to cost. I think it reasonable. I also doubt I will need to spend anymore than the obc ive received with each cruise. Ill most likely be indulging!

I think Oceania would be an excellent choice - more relaxed atmosphere and best food and service among those cruise lines you mention.

Generally speaking, also fewest children except as mentioned above by Lyn - avoid those cruises.

Another thing to consider is that Princess ad HAL have best itineraries to Alaska due to the fact that they have access to some areas that other cruise lines do not (have been grandfathered those rights). Also, Princess has excellent pre/post land packages to Alaska. Oceania is the most inclusive of those lines but also most expensive.

Which of these factors is most important to you?

Depending on where OP is flying from and which amenities are desired, the "net daily rate" of the trip may be about the same. And, in that case, Oceania should be the right choice in terms of food, service and it's reputation for "up close and personal" at the Hubbard Glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on where OP is flying from and which amenities are desired, the "net daily rate" of the trip may be about the same. And, in that case, Oceania should be the right choice in terms of food, service and it's reputation for "up close and personal" at the Hubbard Glacier.

On my last Regatta Alaska cruise we got to within some 800 feet to the face of the Hubbard and remained there for 3 hours.....watched the larges calving I have ever seen sections 400 ft high by maybe 100-200 ft long went crashing, Too towering pinnacles 300 ft high by 50 ft went crashing. This sort of display went on for 2.5 hours. The captain did NOT rotate the ship as we were surround with chunks of ice the size of 2 story houses.... right to the hull!!! as it totally covered the entire bay. With all this ice it was impossible to safely use the screws , so the captain wisely let the outgoing tide gently drift us out.... Spectacular.

The deck crew put out their RIB and recovered a huge chunk of ice which was winched up and placed on the pool deck... pretty wild. You wanted to be on the port side at all times

I'm flying from North Carolina... but you are right... depending on what special perks I get from my agent or Oceania, it will be VERY close to being the same net rate as HAL. Fascinating! My agent is looking at some Silverseas options as well, and I know those will cost more... but we shall see. Definitely a heavy Oceania lead right now!

Glad this thread keeps going... and thanks again for all the advice and insight!

I'm flying from North Carolina... but you are right... depending on what special perks I get from my agent or Oceania, it will be VERY close to being the same net rate as HAL. Fascinating! My agent is looking at some Silverseas options as well, and I know those will cost more... but we shall see. Definitely a heavy Oceania lead right now!

Glad this thread keeps going... and thanks again for all the advice and insight!

I once bought an 8 cyl. MB SUV. When I compared its included options to the 6 cyl. version (which would not be as good for towing needs regardless of price/mileage), many of my desired options on the 6 cyl. were extra cost items. At the bottom line, the 8 cyl. was only $200 more despite a "base price" sticker difference of $1000+ between the two.

When looking at lines like HAL or Celebrity or even Princess, particularly if international flying is involved, always compare to Oceania. And, when you add the quality and service differences, choosing O is the right choice for most comparison shoppers.

I personally love Oceania, but recently my neighbor booked a Celebrity cruise to Alaska. I was helping her with tours and they had a very extensive list of tours. I don't know what you are interested in, but when we went last year on Crystal the tours were slim to none. I was happy we had been twice before and saw everything. Alaska is fabulous.

Speaking of flying and excursions:

If you do any excursion, make it a float plane ride with a remote water landing and make sure you do it in an old dehavilland beaver (before they all disappear). Also skip any helicopter-to-a-glacier ride - boring. Save that money for a helicopter ride along the NaPali coast when you someday visit Kauai.