NY Airports

Alicomp

The quick answer to your question is that LaGuardia is a domestic airport and JFK and Newark are the international airports that serve New York City.

However, if you are trying to second guess what routing Viking will give you, it is impossible. That is one of the reasons that we always use custom air if it is available, so that we can have some say over the routing. Viking does not use one specific airline or consortium when it books flights. It depends on where you are leaving from, where you are headed to, if you have upgraded to business, etc.

For example, when we flew out of Boston last June to meet "Into the Midnight Sun" in London, we met another couple who were also on the same cruise. We flew direct from Boston to London. They flew on Icelandic with a stop in Iceland. Viking does not do custom air for itineraries that include Bergen, Norway and so we had no choice. But you can see that even folks starting from the same gateway might not have the same routing.

And I prefer EWR, Newark, that's my routing in June.

We flew through here for our most recent trip. The downside of connecting through EWR is that once you pass through customs, no matter where you are flying to, you have to pass through security again. So make sure that you have plenty of time between flights. Those who have checked luggage, you will have to collect it and then hand it over for transfer to your next flight.

We flew through here for our most recent trip. The downside of connecting through EWR is that once you pass through customs, no matter where you are flying to, you have to pass through security again. So make sure that you have plenty of time between flights. Those who have checked luggage, you will have to collect it and then hand it over for transfer to your next flight.

Same is true for Dulles(though not a continder here) We had 3 and a half hours and got to plane 10 minutes before take off. I thought it was poor scheduling there but this may be true many places.

Get global entry card, in and out within ten minutes

Yes, but Global Entry can't protect you from long lines elsewhere, like at security, even if you are PSA Pre-Check. Or slow baggage handling when you have to retrieve bags before you can proceed on your way.

Peregrina, very true, unless you have both. Pre- tsa checking for domestic flights, global for international. They may be extending it to other nations, hopefully

The problem is that TSA-Pre doesn't guarantee that you won't have to wait in line; it just means you don't have to undress. And, there is still baggage handling to contend with if you have checked bags. Better to be safe than sorry and make sure that you have plenty of time to make connections.

Wait, what? We are flying next month from Denver to EWR (first time in EWR for us), and then on to Stockholm. Are you saying that we will need to get our luggage and go through security again before our next flight to Stockholm? Yikes. We could be in serious trouble with only 1 1/2 hour layover (don't ask, airline changed times on us). I can see that happening if we were flying from another country but we aren't. I definitely understand this is the way when returning to the US from another country. Please set my mind at ease that I am misunderstanding your post.

BTW, we are Global Entry and LOVE it.

Wait, what? We are flying next month from Denver to EWR (first time in EWR for us), and then on to Stockholm. Are you saying that we will need to get our luggage and go through security again before our next flight to Stockholm? Yikes. We could be in serious trouble with only 1 1/2 hour layover (don't ask, airline changed times on us). I can see that happening if we were flying from another country but we aren't. I definitely understand this is the way when returning to the US from another country. Please set my mind at ease that I am misunderstanding your post.

BTW, we are Global Entry and LOVE it.

Not on your way to Stockholm but when you come through Customs & Immigration on the way home.

The downside of connecting through EWR is that once you pass through customs, no matter where you are flying to, you have to pass through security again. So make sure that you have plenty of time between flights. Those who have checked luggage, you will have to collect it and then hand it over for transfer to your next flight.

Her post was about coming back to the US and passing through customs and then get your checked luggage and recheck it and then go to your connecting flight.

You will see you checked bags when you get ot Stockhom.

You will see you checked bags when you get ot Stockhom.

Hopefully. But that's another issue altogether. :evilsmile::D

I think that on each of our last two cruises, there have been people who arrived on board without their luggage, because the luggage was mishandled by the airlines.

Save

Phew, I am feeling much better now. Thanks all. I was seriously in a panic. From researching just now it looks like there is a possibility of a TSA check point IF we switch concourses. I will just pray we arrive and leave in C.

Sorry for the confusion. In return, let me try to pass along a bit of luck. When we flew through EWR, it was Terminal C. With United's app, we were able to submit our passports via our smart phones and get our boarding passes before we left the house (and thus walked right to the security line; passports were checked at the gate). I checked our landing gate and and departure gate and saw that they were in different corridors of Terminal C. It would be a bit of a walk to our next gate but we had plenty of time to kill. Well, it was a good thing that we double checked our departure gate before we went very far because our departure gate had been moved and was right next to where we had just landed. So, I wish your our luck and may your departure gate be in the same corridor as your landing gate, if not right beside it.

Awww, bless your heart. Thanks for the extra hints. We usually fly United and knew of the app but never installed it. I figured I wouldn't know how to run it, LOL. Guess I better get it done on this trip! Thanks again.

I'm not an apps fan but I will take any chance to eliminate a line at the airport. The photograph and upload was fairly simple and you can do it ahead of time so that you will be read to rock and roll. As it turned out, one of our passports was already uploaded. Sadly, our next international flights are not on United since it seems they have discontinued the flight we used last year to get to Barcelona.

I'm not an apps fan but I will take any chance to eliminate a line at the airport. The photograph and upload was fairly simple and you can do it ahead of time so that you will be read to rock and roll. As it turned out, one of our passports was already uploaded. Sadly, our next international flights are not on United since it seems they have discontinued the flight we used last year to get to Barcelona.

I guess we all need to get with the times. I see people checking in with their phones all the time. That has to be better than me fumbling around with a piece of paper.

We prefer to fly out of EWR - for us JFK is a hassle but we can use either. I booked our Viking Flights from Newark through Viking Air Plus so I could pick. We wanted United, but Viking doesn't have as good an arrangement with them so the price would have been above the Viking allowance. The agent suggested Delta and we checked the flights and there was one from EWR that worked for us. The return flight from Zurich, however had a plane change in CDR/Paris with only an hour and a half window. I'd heard horror stories about that airport and people missing flights, so I looked around on my own and found a direct, non-stop Delta from Zurich to JFK. I called Viking back and they said no problem - a few minutes and we had a better flight. Long line at customs and much traffic on the way home, but it was so worth not changing planes!

It's so worth it to pay that $50 for Air Plus