Silver Spirit Rome to Barcelona Questions

coldfingers

Hi. I'm new to SilverSea and have a few questions about our upcoming cruise from Rome to Barcelona.

1) How formal do we need to dress on formal night? I've read the official blurb, but will we feel out of place if we're not wearing a gown/tux? Or if we do?

2) Any recommendations on what to do at Antibes, Monte Carlo, Calvi, and Marseilles? We're more interested in cultural experiences than touring old buildings. And we're open to non-Silver Sea experiences if any can be recommended.

3) Is it too late to make choices on restaurants/excursions once on the cruise?

4) Weather in late May/early June?

5) Are the main rooms air conditioned too much? Other cruises we've taken I always needed a sweater or wrap inside.

6) Is it likely that we'll get to know fellow cruisers, or are people more "keep to themselves" on these smaller ships?

Thanks for any tips and advice!

Hi,:) I recently booked my first cruise on Silverseas too and am going in the opposite direction.......Barcelona to Rome:D

I have found the folks on this forum are very helpful with answering questions. As for formal night, I don't own any

"formal gowns" and don't plan on buying any. I am wearing a very dressy pair of pants with a pretty top and I am quite

sure I will be appropriately dressed.

And from what folks have told me on here, I think the other passengers will be friendly. I am very outgoing and very much

looking forward to this awesome experience:)

Hope you have a great cruise too:)

1) ...will we feel out of place if we're not wearing a gown/tux? Or if we do?
Nope. Either is fine, just follow the stated dress codes and nobody will make you feel bad for your choice.
Nope, though you may have more choices if you book in advance and you can cancel and/or rebook after boarding. One or two limited-capacity excursions might sell out before sailing, but that's rare.
5) Are the main rooms air conditioned too much? Other cruises we've taken I always needed a sweater or wrap inside.
YMMV, including from room to room. In the main restaurant, some people find it's significantly cooler right at the sides of the room.
6) Is it likely that we'll get to know fellow cruisers, or are people more "keep to themselves" on these smaller ships?
If you want to keep to yourselves, that's fine. To meet others, tell the Maitre d' in the main restaurant that you're happy to share a table. And/or go to trivia.

Hi. I'm new to SilverSea and have a few questions about our upcoming cruise from Rome to Barcelona.

Welcome aboard. (y)

1) How formal do we need to dress on formal night? I've read the official blurb, but will we feel out of place if we're not wearing a gown/tux? Or if we do?
The formal approach on formal night for men is Tux or dark coloured suit. Most do comply and everyone in the MDR would be wearing a jacket and tie as a bare minimum. I dont think there would be an atmosphere if you didnt comply, though on my last trip I did see a gentleman given a jacket and tie to put on at the MDR entrance. I cant honestly say I really noticed that much what the ladies were wearing, but there certainly were many dressed to the nines, but not everyone. I'd say its more noticable what the men are wearing than ladies in the formal stakes.

2) Any recommendations on what to do at Antibes, Monte Carlo, Calvi, and Marseilles? We're more interested in cultural experiences than touring old buildings. And we're open to non-Silver Sea experiences if any can be recommended.
Id probably recommend looking on the board for options at these ports to get ideas of what they have available and I'd certainly look at the non SS options as you will save a packet.

Absolutely not. Right up to the day before you can make a booking (and probably on the day), though if they are full, then they are full. I always do book and make a guess on the port and times where Id like to dine based on the experience I may have had on the day in question.

4) Weather in late May/early June?
Nothing guaranteed obviously, but generally you should have very pleasantly warm weather without the highs of July / August where it can get too hot when walking about. A good choice IMHO.

Not that I noticed, though I did pretty much always wear a jacket. I found the Air Con working well, though as you will see elsewhere, on some trips, there were issues with Air Con, but that seemed to be cabin specific.

I always found the SS passengers on the cruises Ive been on to be very pleasant and friendly. Some keep themselves to themselves, but generally its very easy to have conversations and sit together with people you've now met or new to you by the MD at lunch and Dinner. Generally, Ive found passengers on board to be very sociable. I'm relatively new to SS too.... and have two more already booked in the pipeline.

Thanks for any tips and advice!
You are very welcome. You will have a ball. :D Edited by les37b

Welcome to the SS forum! I hope your cruise is all that you hope it to be.

Assuming you are on one of the traditional ships that isn't the Muse then how you will feel in the attire you choose will really depend on where you want to dine on a formal night. For instance, if you want to have pre-dinner drinks in the bard, dine in the main dining room or Le Champagne, then men need to wear at least a dark suit with tie, but women don't need to be in a gown. If you would prefer to dress more casually, then you can enjoy La Terrazza or The Grill. You'll have plenty of dining options available to you and won't feel out of place regardless of how you would like to dress.

You will have as much an opportunity to meet folks as you wish. Just let the Maître D' of the restaurant know you would like to be seated with other folks.

I would suggest booking the dining options as soon as you can online and not waiting. Med cruises often are full and if you want your choices to happen, for example La Terrazza, then a reservation is important. Obviously the MDR always accommodates you.

As well, excursions often fill up, so if you want to take one, I would suggest booking in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

While Monte Carlo is an easy place to walk around, I highly recommend going to Eze and La Turbie for spectacular views over the Mediterranean. You can get there on the local buses or take a SS tour.

The town of Calvi is interesting, and there is a great deli - Annie Traiteur in town. There was also an interesting SS tour out into the hills and to a vineyard when we were there last time.

In Marseille, walk through the Old Town and up to the Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde for great views and then over to the Cathedrale La Major. Both are quite interesting. If you don't feel like walking, take a boat to Cassis and the Calanques nearby for beautiful vistas.

It sounds like you have a wonderful itinerary is a great part of the world. Hope you enjoy it.

You had asked about weather.

Like most places, weather can vary year over year but to me this is one of the best times to visit these places and we've done just that during this time frame and also a few weeks earlier. The weather will be a lot milder then in the summer months when it can get very hot and humid and the areas will have far less tourists then the summer.

You might not need a jacket in any of the locations or you might need a light jacket particularly early in the day.

Keith

the areas will have far less tourists then the summer.

A hugely under rated bonus!

August = too many people and too hot and humid...... May = Just right on all counts.... and cheaper too usually! :cool:

Oh well, I live in an area of the country that is hot and humid. So my August cruise will have the same type of weather.;p

Lois I am sure you will have a great time. We always have to travel to the Med in July and early August due to our schedules. We always have a great time. Like you we live in a hot and sometimes humid area and can cope with the heat. Just make sure you take water with you when you leave the ship.

That's a question I hadn't thought off before. Do Silversea have bottled water available in your room or just as you leave the ship?

Julie

Oh well, I live in an area of the country that is hot and humid. So my August cruise will have the same type of weather.;p

Lois, the good news is that you are used to heat/humidity. I always look at the glass as being half full. LOL but true.

As long as we are cruising we are just happy.

We do prefer visiting the Med in April and May and mid September into October for the reasons I mentioned. However, I would rather be visiting in August then say the alternative of being home.

Enjoy as I know you will.

Keith