Federal Shutdown and closing of National Parks, what if?

Nhsaltshaker

I know I'm am going to get bashed repeatedly for this, but here goes...

IF, and it's a big IF, United States shuts down the federal government, will this affect Denali National Park, Glacier Bay National Park, Kenai National Park, etc.???

I'm concerned about my cruise tour next month and am awaiting my lashings while you all get out your whips. :)

I know I'm am going to get bashed repeatedly for this, but here goes...

IF, and it's a big IF, United States shuts down the federal government, will this affect Denali National Park, Glacier Bay National Park, Kenai National Park, etc.???

I'm concerned about my cruise tour next month and am awaiting my lashings while you all get out your whips. :)

Short answer is that it will. National parks are not considered essential and they will likely be closed.

You’re in good company. These threads pop up every time there is a threated federal shutdown. Here’s one from 2011 that answers some questions. Although it would have an effect, it’s unlikely as they’ve had these issued resolved before the season it too far underway.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1394085&highlight=shutdown

Can't see how you could close Glacier Bay, you sail in and sail out, no facilities are used. Also, Alaska might do what Arizona did regarding the Grand Canyon when park was shutdown. Arizona paid the furloughed park employees to open and run the park.

Good luck! I would be disappointed if this happened to me.

Would they close just the visitor center at Mendenhall or all of it? Just curious.

I always suggest people book 2 glaciers - though it is usually because other glaciers are often inaccessible.

I just got off the phone with Park Headqjuarters, Park Staff and Offices (907) 697-2230 and the representative that I spoke with said the ships will still be able to enter the park, there just won't be any rangers going out on the ships for the interpretative talks. All non-essential employees will be off until resolved, however there will be law enforcement there in case someone gets in trouble while in the park. I wished her luck, because I realized then that she won't be working if it happens. She did say that it is absolutely gorgeous up there right now.....hope we get to see it!

I just got off the phone with Park Headqjuarters, Park Staff and Offices (907) 697-2230 and the representative that I spoke with said the ships will still be able to enter the park, there just won't be any rangers going out on the ships for the interpretative talks.

Thank you! I had tried to call a bit ago and couldn't get through. We are sailing very soon, so it could be an issue for our cruise. Not having the rangers would be a disappointment, but that would be much better than not being able to sail in at all.

Would they close just the visitor center at Mendenhall or all of it? Just curious.

Mendenhall is part of the National Forest Service, so it would be affected. I'm not sure yet if just the visitor center building would be closed or if no one would be able to visit at all. I couldn't get through on the phone, so I sent an email. If I get a reply, I'll share it.

Mendenhall is part of the National Forest Service, so it would be affected. I'm not sure yet if just the visitor center building would be closed or if no one would be able to visit at all. I couldn't get through on the phone, so I sent an email. If I get a reply, I'll share it.

Thanks. While smaller in scale, this affects the Park Service free tours in Skagway also.

I would also be concerned if bear control will be present. Bears were on the photo point trail when I was there in mid-August. They had three officers present to control the crowds.

I would also be concerned if bear control will be present. Bears were on the photo point trail when I was there in mid-August. They had three officers present to control the crowds.

Bears don't usually show up until later in the summer when the salmon are running.

It's a great question, OP, and I can't imagine anyone being upset by it. Well, sadly I guess I can, but glad all here are not.

I had not even thought about this. Wow. Denali.....the only way in are on NPS buses.

I proudly have my ALT NPS sticker on my car. But even they can't help in a shutdown.

If a shutdown were to occur, I would not expect it to last more than two weeks (maybe three if they are really ornery).

I was on a cruise leaving out of San Juan in early Oct. 2013 when the government shut down. It was kind of an "a-ha" moment - "Let's go check out the forts. Oh wait, we can't, they are closed. How about the rain forest - oh wait, that is closed too." Lucky for me I've been back to San Juan twice since then.

(and unknown to me at the time, we could have still done the rain forest, just not the visitor center or the lookout tower)

Moral of the story - if they shutdown the parks and you can't go, it just means you need to book another cruise later. :D

If a shutdown were to occur, I would not expect it to last more than two weeks (maybe three if they are really ornery).

My cruise leaves this Sunday, and we are scheduled for Glacier Bay next Friday. So this is no comfort for me, no offense. [emoji4]

But, I honestly am not too worried. I'm hoping that they will reach at least an agreement for a one week extension. At worst, we won't have a ranger onboard and I won't get a stamp in my National Parks Passport book. At least we will still sail through the bay. That's all that really matters to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My cruise leaves this Sunday, and we are scheduled for Glacier Bay next Friday. So this is no comfort for me, no offense. [emoji4]

Yea, that was my exact feeling when I was in San Juan. You make the best of it that you can and still have fun.

Good luck! I would be disappointed if this happened to me.

I always suggest people book 2 glaciers - though it is usually because other glaciers are often inaccessible.

Ok I just stumbled on this thread subject and now im scared. I booked on an NCL cruise tour and am

Scheduled for Denali national park in July. is here some threat going around or something? I'm looking forward to Denali the most!

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). We are doing a northbound 7 nighter on June 2nd. Slightly concerned about Mendenhall but more worried about Denali.

Good news (I think) is that I read an article that said they passed a temporary funding measure last night (Wed night) to keep funds going through May 5th. So that just pushes things out a week.

My thinking right now is that we should be safe in early June. If there is a shutdown on May 6th, they should resolve it before June. The other side is even if they delay a couple more times and then shutdown, they should still resolve it before we arrive in Denali on June 10th. Now if they really push things out, it could affect us - which would really suck as Denali is planning a party on June 10th (with cake!).

Ok I just stumbled on this thread subject and now im scared. I booked on an NCL cruise tour and am

Scheduled for Denali national park in July. is here some threat going around or something? I'm looking forward to Denali the most!

I would say July you should be fine. It's just the problem that the US Government is trying to pass a funding bill and one side wants certain things and the other side wants other things and each side doesn't want some of the things that their opposing side wants. It's all stupid politics, no actual bad thing happening.

Because it costs government employees paychecks during those times, it is very unpopular to either side to not pass a spending bill in a timely manner.

I'm sailing on May 6th, so I had hoped that they would have gotten their crap together by today. I doubt that there will actually be a shutdown, but the possibility that close makes me a little tense. I think the only way we would be affected is no rangers in Glacier Bay, which would be disappointing, but not too horrible. I have lots of maps and I've read a lot. The other would be Mendenhall Glacier, which again, a little disappointing, but I can handle that. It's mainly frustrating. This isn't a trip that I'm going to be able to ever do again, so I'm probably putting too much pressure on it to be wonderful. I am going to try to go with the flow no matter what happens, though.

July will be fine. It is the next 2-3 weeks that people need to watch closely.

I would say July you should be fine. It's just the problem that the US Government is trying to pass a funding bill and one side wants certain things and the other side wants other things and each side doesn't want some of the things that their opposing side wants. It's all stupid politics, no actual bad thing happening.

Because it costs government employees paychecks during those times, it is very unpopular to either side to not pass a spending bill in a timely manner.

After the last government shutdown all laid off employees got reimbursed for lost pay fortunately. If we have another shutdown, federal employees laid off will get another paid vacation.