Pre Dinner Drinks

JerryInIL

Apparently wine and beer are included with dinner/lunch, but if you want a glass of wine before dinner, say you are waiting for your party, or just want to sit in the lounge for a few minutes before dinner, will they serve you?

It would help if you mention which line you are cruising. Some include drinks at all times while others are at meal time only. On Viking pre dinner drinks would not be included but since they will top up your glass at the end of dinner a post dinner drink is basically available.

No line in particular. Just wanted to know if the lines have differences in this regard. Thanks !!!

Yes, big differences between lines. I had a travel agent tell me that one line was "all inclusive" when wine and beer was only included at lunch and dinner. On some lines the included meal time wine is a choice between red or white. If you want a choice or better quality you have to pay extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SuiteTraveler, it has definitely changed on Uniworld. All drinks, all day if you want.

As we were told on our 3 Uniworld cruises in 2015 and 2016 the bar was open from 8 or 9 am until the last passenger went to bed. They also had champagne for make yourself mimosas at breakfast in the dining room.

Yes, big differences between lines. I had a travel agent tell me that one line was "all inclusive" when wine and beer was only included at lunch and dinner. On some lines the included meal time wine is a choice between red or white. If you want a choice or better quality you have to pay extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And it can vary between cruises, even on the same line. Our Vantage cruise was supposed to include wine (only) at dinner. But on the trip they told us it was also included for lunch.

Apparently wine and beer are included with dinner/lunch, but if you want a glass of wine before dinner, say you are waiting for your party, or just want to sit in the lounge for a few minutes before dinner, will they serve you?
Of course they will - the question is will they charge you for it.

And it can vary between cruises, even on the same line. Our Vantage cruise was supposed to include wine (only) at dinner. But on the trip they told us it was also included for lunch.
Further complicated on Vantage chartered (versus owned) river boats. On the Vantage Irrawaddy beer, but not wine, was included 24/7. On the Vantage Mekong local spirits were included 24/7 - the only discernable difference between a Bloody Mary with local (made in Vietnam by a French company) versus call brand was $9 versus no cost (and snob value).

Avalon (wine & beer free only at dinner when we cruised Dec 2014- I think lunch is free now?) had a lovely 1/2 price happy hour in the lounge before dinner - nice large German beer for 2 euro;p Wine & cocktails also half price (not sure if all cocktails or just their specials). Many people would go to the lounge for a drink, stay through the port talk for the following day, then head to dinner....

Avalon (wine & beer free only at dinner when we cruised Dec 2014- I think lunch is free now?) had a lovely 1/2 price happy hour in the lounge before dinner - nice large German beer for 2 euro;p Wine & cocktails also half price (not sure if all cocktails or just their specials). Many people would go to the lounge for a drink, stay through the port talk for the following day, then head to dinner....

Yes free at lunch, too now as on Avalon Luminary right now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User "Exbiologist" had it right, on CroisiEurope's regular season cruises, we have an open bar policy - this includes a great selection of house wines, beer, and spirits throughout the day and night. We find it is more enjoyable that guests don't have to worry about small items like this, while they enjoy their cruise along Europe's famous rivers.

Wow, that's a first for GCT. How was the cruise? I'm taking it later this year.

Barrheadlass - the cruise was absolutely FANTASTIC. My wife and I really loved it. It was our first time in France, and we did the Paris extension prior to the cruise. The 5 days in Paris were great. Being a real oenophile, one of the high points for me was the wine tasting and lunch at Chateau Chassagne Montrachet prior to boarding the ship in Macon. Also Viviers was really like taking a step back in time in this little (very non-commercial) French medieval village.

I wrote a review a couple of days ago in the Review Section, but I don't see it posted yet.

For us, this cruise was 2 big thumbs up.

On our recent Grand Circle cruise down the Rhone on the M/S Provence, the house beer and wines were available all through the day and evening.

I think this is new, and on all ships, for GC this year.

Good to know! Still half price drinks at happy hour in the lounge? Don't want to give too much outdated info in this thread :*

Yes 1/2 price on Avalon at happy hour. Last night I ordered Drambuie for $2 & change, Dewar & soda about $4 & change.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Barrheadlass - the cruise was absolutely FANTASTIC. My wife and I really loved it. It was our first time in France, and we did the Paris extension prior to the cruise. The 5 days in Paris were great. Being a real oenophile, one of the high points for me was the wine tasting and lunch at Chateau Chassagne Montrachet prior to boarding the ship in Macon. Also Viviers was really like taking a step back in time in this little (very non-commercial) French medieval village.

I wrote a review a couple of days ago in the Review Section, but I don't see it posted yet.

For us, this cruise was 2 big thumbs up.

Thanks so much! I've been to Paris several times for lengthy stays so am not doing the pretrip. I usually travel with OAT but this is my 4th GCT river cruise. I'll look for your review.