Haines to Skagway Options?

Cabunit

Sorry about not posting the "why."

The Fast Ferry is totally booked at the time we want to travel to Skagway - so we're looking for alternatives. The next run is too late.

I found that there is an Avis rental car office in Haines and the driving time to Skagway is 1.5 hours which is a lot longer than the 45 minutes via ferry.

I found that there is an Avis rental car office in Haines and the driving time to Skagway is 1.5 hours which is a lot longer than the 45 minutes via ferry.

Ha-ha... that is actually a local joke. Don't believe Apple or Google maps -the distance by water is 20 miles and the road distance is 350 miles.

The fast ferry is the only feasible way to get between the two.

Sorry about not posting the "why."

The Fast Ferry is totally booked at the time we want to travel to Skagway - so we're looking for alternatives. The next run is too late.

You can take a ship excursion. The reason it's booked is because the cruise lines buy the seats for their shore excursions.

Not sure where you looked this up, but it's usually about 6 hours, since there are multiple scenic areas not to miss. Doesn't sound like you've been or driven there. The Haines Highway is actually a very nice run with a Haines port visit. Murray has an informative guide to print out on his explorenorth website.

Not sure where you looked this up, but it's usually about 6 hours, since there are multiple scenic areas not to miss. Doesn't sound like you've been or driven there. The Haines Highway is actually a very nice run with a Haines port visit. Murray has an informative guide to print out on his explorenorth website.

Since I have never driven from Haines to Skagway, I relied on Google for the driving time:

https://www.google.com/search?q=driving+distance+haines+to+skagway&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If I provide a link to my copyrighted photographs of Haines, will you believe that I have been to Haines?

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/haines/

Thank you for all the replies. The excursions to Skagway are all booked up as well - not even taking wait-lists. We are looking into Mountain Flying Service.

I did the deluxe Glacier Bay tour with Paul a couple of years ago. I'm hoping to hook up with him again this year from Skagway if he has a spot for me. I'd do the flightseeing tour and save visiting Skagway for your next trip, not that many ships call on Haines.