Back from Liberty of the Seas April 16th sailing

My wife and I had a great week of relaxing on the Liberty of the Seas. We left Galveston on Easter Sunday. Got to the port at about 12:25. We were on board and dropping of carry-ons at 1pm at our stateroom. We've sailed with RCCL before- but it has been about 8 years. Just for background sake- been on NCL, Princess, Carnival, Costa and Celebrity. Most recent cruises have been Carnival and NCL. Had heard from here on cruise critic, the increased sales pitches for the specialty dining and spa services. I have to admit- there was a lot. However, there was not as much "pushy" sales of alcohol, as say Carnival.

Will try to make this brief! Overall, the staff were genuinely friendly and kind. Most of them seemed to enjoy what they do a lot. We had a great stateroom steward, Meninho. Top notch! 👍🏼 We had done the first night $15 specialty dining- and ate in Chops. It was fabulous! I'm not sure I would pay the $39 extra-- but it

was well worth the $15. Excellent service and food.

Both my wife and I are constantly dealing with people in our jobs, we enjoy just spending time with each other. The maitre d on Sunday took my name down, but could not promise me a table for 2. However, on Monday night he delivered! We had an awesome waiter, Frank from Jamaica and his assistant, Lanfang from China. Great service and passionate! The food overall was very good- not super duper... but very good. We enjoyed it. We ate one breakfast and a couple of lunches in the dining room. The service and food was good too. The made to order salad bar was great-- and sushi too.

Other breakfasts and lunches were at the buffet. They never seemed as crowded as Carnival or NCL- and the way they have waters, lemonade and tea already served-- sped things up. Lots of variety... never went hungry! 😀 We had late seating for dinner-- but would have Sushi at the buffet at 6ish. It was great!

Also noticed so many staff clearing the tables and also offering beverages- water, tea etc. Sorrentos had great pizza without a wait! Also, other Italian items. Promenade Cafe had delicious sandwiches and little desserts.

The coffee in buffet was not the best.... I'm not a coffee snob, but some days it was pretty bad. They did have Starbucks for sale at the Promenade. (Only bought it once, as there's a perk for Platinum level of a one time buy one get one free.)

Never did the $7.95 room service!

The ice show was amazing. I was impressed. Wasn't expecting it to be so good! Lol You will want to see it. The "In the Air" show was postponed. Technical problems. We waited about 45 minutes and they just had to apologize. It happens. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the rescheduled show.

The ports: been to all of them more than a few times. Didn't do a whole lot! The weather was fabulous.

I believe they said there were 4,299 passengers... only a few occasions did it seem congested... on the promenade in the evening-- as they have all sorts of selling going on. Also, on sea days by the main pool area. You definitely could find chairs though- we went up one deck and there were plenty. Lots of children! Some were very well-mannered-- others were not! I was shocked how many would be sitting in the hallways at night seemingly not chaperoned. They announced 800 passengers from Mexico, so they would do all announcements in Spanish too. I am guessing the Mexican schools were on vacation. We enjoy all the various cultures.

Not sure when this started, but life guards at all the pools. 👍🏼

Soft serve ice cream machine by the pool-- I believe 11am to 6 or 9pm??

We had a 10:55am flight out of Hobby. We did the self-assist. Got off at 7:30am. Took a taxi and made it in plenty of time. It was $100. We used Uber going to the ship- it was $46.... however, you can't use uber leaving the port.

All in all, a great cruise! Would go on the Liberty again! Happy to answer any questions that I can! Sorry- didn't save the Compasses!

Hi- we thought we would be assigned and given some kind of card in our room. However, at about 3:30, I just called Chops- and asked. They told me what time they had available-- and we were all set.

Re: drink cards. Probably around day 4 or 5, I noticed they had them for sale. 10 for $75 plus 18% gratuity.

Jamrenjer -

Thanks for your review! I'm glad to see that we were not the only ones who were happy with the food on Liberty! I agree that despite it being a full ship that rarely did things FEEL crowded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm taking Liberty this weekend I'm so excited (first time newbie but cruising with bf and family who are not).

Stupid question, we are not big snackers but LOVE our popcorn. Is there a microwave in the dining area to pop our own?

Hoping our ship is fairly child-free. My idea of a vacation is a nice quiet retreat with a book and a beer! Hopefully I won't have to hide out in the fitness room. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I'm taking Liberty this weekend I'm so excited (first time newbie but cruising with bf and family who are not).

Stupid question, we are not big snackers but LOVE our popcorn. Is there a microwave in the dining area to pop our own?

Hoping our ship is fairly child-free. My idea of a vacation is a nice quiet retreat with a book and a beer! Hopefully I won't have to hide out in the fitness room. Haha.

Did you join roll call? This is 4th year in a row leaving last week in April normally not many children, wife also loves popcorn but not aware of any microwaves

No microwaves available to passengers. You'll have to do without your popcorn. We always bring a can of cashews for a salty snack. Do not count on buying chips or nuts on board. WAAAY to expensive. Tip, there are usually almonds or walnuts at the oatmeal station in the Windjammer at breakfast. Those can be a tasty treat as will

Hi- we thought we would be assigned and given some kind of card in our room. However, at about 3:30, I just called Chops- and asked. They told me what time they had available-- and we were all set.

Re: drink cards. Probably around day 4 or 5, I noticed they had them for sale. 10 for $75 plus 18% gratuity.

Hmm, so you never got a card or call or anything? We are hoping for Chops as well. Was it a hassle to call or did you just tell them you have the first night done right package? Did you have to show anything to them?

No microwaves available to passengers. You'll have to do without your popcorn. We always bring a can of cashews for a salty snack. Do not count on buying chips or nuts on board. WAAAY to expensive. Tip, there are usually almonds or walnuts at the oatmeal station in the Windjammer at breakfast. Those can be a tasty treat as will

That's what mom said, we do have some snacks we will be bringing aboard.

I have not joined roll call, yet.

The week after Easter is a holiday week in Mexico. There are always a LOT of Mexican citizens onboard. We've seen special activities for them and also customs will take a bit longer which can affect the following cruise embarkation. And yes more children on this cruise since it is a holiday there.

How does the first night done right work? Did you get to choose the Chops or does the restaurant get randomly assigned?

The restaurant is randomly assigned but usually the mystery dinner is the first night in Giovanni's so it is not available. IF you go the specialty restaurant on embarkation day and ask for any discounts they will usually (but not always) take $10 to $15 off the posted price. Usual RCCL sale tactic. If the specialty restaurant sales are going slow they may even offer a larger discount during the cruise.

Sorry I am just getting to reply! Thanks for the comments... some of the questions others have answered- thank you! Cel-Cruise- you did a great job reviewing!

Re: popcorn- we love popcorn while watching movies- and were surprised they didn't have any for their movies like other cruise lines do. Speaking of movies- didn't feel they had a good selection overall.

As mentioned, the first night specialty dining was really confusing. It was quite easy to call Chops. I simply requested to eat there- and the guy said okay- and stated the available times.

Re: cruise director-

He was okay-- my wife thought he was a little annoying- but it was no biggie.

The captain was quite nice-- and seemed approachable and friendly.

Re: pizza. Everyone has different tastes- I'm pretty easy going-- I've had better crusts before.... but what we appreciated was how fast we would get it... never had to wait more than 3 or 4 minutes tops.

Also loved the water slides- and as I believe Cel-Cruise mentioned - the guys were great assisting newbies on the flow rider.

We got through customs really fast doing the self-assist... I know not everyone can do it- but it was really fast. Our waiter suggested going down at 6:30am- so we were pretty close to the front.

We definitely recommend Liberty of Seas!

I had a hard time with some combination of the movie selection and the movie times. My kids would have loved to have seen Moana or Boss Baby (in 3D and a new release! Score!) but the times were during dinner.

I am sure that neither of these movies would have been a big draw for an adult who might have been able to watch them before late dinner?!

I had a hard time with some combination of the movie selection and the movie times. My kids would have loved to have seen Moana or Boss Baby (in 3D and a new release! Score!) but the times were during dinner.

I am sure that neither of these movies would have been a big draw for an adult who might have been able to watch them before late dinner?!

We totally agree! Most families would have chosen early dining... we thought it was odd.

Oh well! 😀