luggage

Kikosheart

From the Carnival website:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1373/~/embarkation---luggage-information

Luggage Information

Checked Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest. Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and should not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide, laying flat (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. We suggest that all luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.

Carry-On Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest. For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. Anything larger, must be checked-in with a curbside porter. We suggest that all luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.

Way I read it--and I had to read it carefully several times--as long as the depth of the bag when lying flat does not exceed 16 inches, and the smaller of length or width is no more than 24 inches, the longest side of the case can be essentially infinity ("not a factor" in Carnivalspeak).

So it seems like you are fine: the smaller of your two bags should easily fit through the scanner as your carry on, and the larger might even as well. Enjoy your cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

You are fine. The measurements given by Carnival are when the luggage is laying flat. So, translating, it can be absolutely any height, but must be no more than 16" deep and 24" wide. Those are the requirements for carry-on luggage. If you are checking with the porters, no problems even with items that are bigger.

I agree with above posts.

Aside from measurement, we sometimes also consider the weight. When our carry-on becomes heavy after pre cruise activities and for onboard needs, we hand to the terminal porter our carry-on, together with our check-in luggage, to spare ourselves of heavy lifts during the check-in and boarding process. We just put our valuables, including medications, in our personal bag.

I've never had a cruise line measure a check in bag. Keep in mind there's no charges for this, simply hand to a porter at the curb and it's waiting in your room. Personally I check everything except for a bookbag/tote bag because you have to carry it with you until the rooms open up around 1:30-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The earlier you get to port the sooner the bags will be at the room. We had FTTF so we got our bags when we boarded and our room was ready. But there was also a lot of other bags that was by the doors also. So maybe the sooner you get to port the sooner you get them. Also we left out of New Orleans and the waiting area didn't have much room so I'm glad we have them to the porters to deal with and once we started walking the gangway to board people was everywhere.