Oceania newbie- What is the boarding process on Marina like? Is the 1:00 boarding

stipmom

time just a guide? Will they allow us to board earlier? Are we better off going later to miss the crowds? We sail at 5:00 on Monday .Thanks

Per the website:

Guests are required to be on board the vessel at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure time. Early boarding is available to guests booked in Concierge-level staterooms and above.

Regatta, Insignia and Nautica:

• Penthouse Suites and above - 11:00 a.m.
  • Concierge Verandas - 12:00 p.m.
  • All other staterooms - 1:00 p.m.

Marina and Riviera:

• Oceania, Vista and Owner's Suites - 11:00 a.m.
  • Penthouse Suites and Concierge Verandas - 12:00p.m.
  • All other staterooms - 1:00p.m.

A lunch buffet is served from 11:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

you can show up earlier you may or may not get to board depends on the day & the people in charge ;)

We usually go about 1:30pm & just get to walk on after check in ..no lines

I would not show up before noon unless you are in a PH or Suite though

JMO

What about luggage drop-off? I've seen/read there's a luggage holding area you can drop your luggage off and they'll bring it to your room. I wouldn't mind walking around Civitavecchia but not if that means lugging our luggage around.

What about luggage drop-off? I've seen/read there's a luggage holding area you can drop your luggage off and they'll bring it to your room. I wouldn't mind walking around Civitavecchia but not if that means lugging our luggage around.

Most ports have a drop off area where you can leave your luggage usually after 9am when the disembarking passengers have left

Have not been to Civitavecchia so hopefully someone will have the answer for you

time just a guide? Will they allow us to board earlier? Are we better off going later to miss the crowds? We sail at 5:00 on Monday .Thanks

No they have between 0800 and 1200 to basicaly totaly clean the ship the top tier suites Ownere, Vista Penthouse get 11 am because there are so few to clean....

Personaly, I prefer to board between 2 to 3:30 for a 5 pm sailing. Its never much of a problem even if you get to the 1pm poarding for regular cabins...

You dont say what ship? The R ships only have 600 and the O ships have 1200, It goes very fast and is very much different than the 3000 4000 mass market boys.

I like to miss the Terrace cafe/ Waves frenzy of people trying to get in that first meal... Hey, you can eat dinner 1.5 hours after they sail !!! Why ruin a beautiful first sit down dinner fighting for a table in the Terrace? Rather relax by the pool or in Horizions, have a cool drink and enjoy just being there. Trust me there will be more than ample food on your cruise...... ;p

There is a drop area.... and you have to take a port bus to the ship about a mile through a busy Italian industrial port.....WITH ITALIAN truck drivers and forklift operators every where like a grand prix, ( you can not appreciate fully what I am saying till you experience italian drivers in Rome):rolleyes:

There are 2 things to do in Civitavecchia.....and one is to LEAVE;)

We always fly in at least a day early if not more. The hotels, and/or their concierge, always look after our luggage until we are ready to depart.

Why leave Rome early to sit on any ship? Spend the morning further sightseeing in Rome, have a nice lunch in a street cafe. Take the train or a car down for a 3:30 arrival at the ship. You'll check in quickly and go straight to your cabin. Getting there at 1:00 is dumb. Getting there before 1:00 to just sit around is stupid! Having a beer or a glass of wine watching people roam around Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps is far superior to sitting on board, in an industrial port, having to lug all your carry on around, fighting all the clutter from everyone else's carry on, while waiting for your deck to be called!

Depends on the port. In Europe, we never had a problem boarding earlier. We did not have access to our cabin but Oceania will take your luggage. There is a luncheon buffet available and you can lounge/swim at the pool. If this is your first time on an Oceania ship than you can walk around after lunch and get a feel of the ship. Enjoy.

We arrived at 11am at the dock in Seattle because of the timing of our early morning flight. We had thought about just dropping off luggage and then going sightseeing but there were lots of staff and virtually no lines when we arrived so we were able to complete boarding immediately. Because the dock is in an interesting area and easy to leave and return to the ship, no need to stay on board until sail away.

On another cruise, don't remember which one, I think out of Dover, we got there at our appointed time and found some suite cruisers still waiting to embark. Not sure what the problem was but everything was backed up for awhile. Then they got started and things went very fast.

Mary

I like to miss the Terrace cafe/ Waves frenzy of people trying to get in that first meal... Hey, you can eat dinner 1.5 hours after they sail !!! Why ruin a beautiful first sit down dinner fighting for a table in the Terrace?

This is one thing that bothers us when we read about Oceania. On one hand we are told what a wonderful reserved atmosphere it is for ladies and gentlemen, and on the other hand we are warned about the situation described above and also happy hour at the bar(s). Which to believe?

Dan sees frenzy at Terrace on the first day, but we've never encountered that. We usually arrive on the early side (but not always) and have lunch at Terrace. Sure, it can be crowded but we've always gotten a table and our food easily. Not at all a frenzy.

He may not have intended to do so but the impression I got from his description was of people elbowing their way to the front of the line. I just haven't seen that on O.

Mura

This is one thing that bothers us when we read about Oceania. On one hand we are told what a wonderful reserved atmosphere it is for ladies and gentlemen, and on the other hand we are warned about the situation described above and also happy hour at the bar(s). Which to believe?

In our experience between boarding time & about 2pm it is busy in the Terrace because everyone wants to get on early & start enjoying the cruise

HH sometimes it is busy sometimes not but there a couple of bars to choose from so just go & enjoy

1st day bars are not usually busy until after Muster drill

Sometimes it differs on some sailings

we have done B2B where the 1st cruise is busy in the bars & the next segment there is hardly anyone there

Just a reminder in the event that you are unaware, May 1 is the annual Labour Day holiday in Europe and some attractions may be closed and public transport is on a reduced schedule. The shops certainly will be closed, and there my be street parades. Lisbon is a great city just to walk about, sit and enjoy great coffee and of course Pasteis do Nata which are delicious. Enjoy your cruise,

We always fly in at least a day early if not more. The hotels, and/or their concierge, always look after our luggage until we are ready to depart.

Why leave Rome early to sit on any ship? Spend the morning further sightseeing in Rome, have a nice lunch in a street cafe. Take the train or a car down for a 3:30 arrival at the ship. You'll check in quickly and go straight to your cabin. Getting there at 1:00 is dumb. Getting there before 1:00 to just sit around is stupid! Having a beer or a glass of wine watching people roam around Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps is far superior to sitting on board, in an industrial port, having to lug all your carry on around, fighting all the clutter from everyone else's carry on, while waiting for your deck to be called!

+1 Yes....wise words:cool:

Look in the mirror.... your living in a vacuum.. people, till they get settled, tend to obey crowd mentality. the same with Happy hour it brings out the worst personalities.... eager to get their fill. THEY are not the whole ship... they are the transplants from mass market lines, maybe first time or just intrinsic squeezers. maybe 2% of the ship Thats why I avoid those times and places. You see it on Regent and others too.... people who squeeze the nickel till the indian is riding on the buffalo...maybe in Maui too?:confused: Dosent matter the venue there are always these people.:loudcry:

Not necessarily. We've done it both ways. When in a port where we want to see as much as we can before boarding the ship (Rome, Barcelona, for example) we come late. When in a port where maybe we've seen enough ... we're happy to board early, have some lunch and wait for our room to be ready.

Departure time is another consideration ... if the ship leaves late at night (which has happened a time or two for us, and will next spring) then we're not in a hurry to get there, as long as we're in time for the boat drill. If the ship leaves late afternoon, we'd just as soon get there for lunch.

For us it's not a deal breaker. Maybe it is for you. It obviously is for Dan!

Mura

• 7 months later...

Any boarding tips for cruising Oceania out of Papeete Tahiti. We arrived on a early morning flight and would like to drop our luggage off at the ship around 8:00 then do a little sightseeing before we board at 2:00 or 3:00. Does anyone know if there is a early luggage drop off area? We cruise on the Marina March 7th. and have booked a direct shuttle from the airport to the cruise port. Our group did not book a early morning island sightseeing tour as we will be staying on Tahiti for 3 days after we get back from the cruise. We just need to store our luggage somewhere so we can poke around before we board. Thanks Jack