Buying fine art on Princess?

Kingofcool1947

Greetings,

DW and I will be sailing on next Princess cruise July 2017.

We were thinking of purchasing several Peter Max paintings, and a Peter Max sculpture on this cruise. Maybe other art as well, DW wants to buy a Thomas Kincaid painting. We have never purchased art at an onboard ship auction, or for that matter, from a land based auction house. Basically we are "newbies" to collecting fine art.

Just wondering, does the fine art auctioned, and sold, on Princess cruises represent good value? Is it possible to get a "good deal" on the art?

I understand, Park West provides a certificate of the art's Appraisal Value. Is the appraisal value what the art would be appraised for by an independent art appraiser back home?

Any tips for the best strategy to purchasing art at the auction? Best deals in art during the auctions?

Thanks.

I understand, Park West provides a certificate of the art's Appraisal Value. Is the appraisal value what the art would be appraised for by an independent art appraiser back home?

Any tips for the best strategy to purchasing art at the auction? Best deals in art during the auctions?

If you are looking for an appraisal value for insurance purposes, keep in mind most insurance companies will only insure what you actually paid for the artwork. If you later get an appraisal from one of their recognized appraisers then you can get it insured for that value.

We have not purchased from Park West (having only bought from the previous Princess internal Princess Fine Arts prior). But for any art I suggest you research land based galleries first for current comparable pricing.

Aww. You beat me to it. I was gonna say "Fine Art?" surely you jest.

So, just curious, why is it that the art auctions are always standing room only, with PAX bidding and buying the art. Are they all fools?

I think I'll pass on the art auctions as all here have recommended.

So, just curious, why is it that the art auctions are always standing room only, with PAX bidding and buying the art. Are they all fools?

Because passengers can't believe what they are seeing.

It's like a train wreck. Can't look away. :o

I guess not everyone there have learned the sad experiences of others here on CC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've bought art on cruises

I buy it because I like how it will look in my house. Thinking of it in those terms I've never felt ripped off. It's the price of the framing...

Spending big $$ for art like you would on a PeterMax, just check out land prices before you go

I wouldn't say it's for sure crap, just don't get ripped off, and do your homework

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even in "Fartsville USA" [OP's home town] they must have occasional art shows in the summer -- buy something direct from the artist = you are supporting a US family, and you are buying something you like and is real. Win win.

Princess and Fine Art should not be used in the same sentence.

Like others here I was going to voice a similar feeling. I don't think I've ever seen any "fine art" on a Princess ship.