Amawaterways Danube cruise

F19810

I just received the information for my Danube cruise in May. I am interested in doing the Passau castle hill hike, Durnstein Fortress hike and the Bratislava castle hike. For each of these hike, it says that I need hiking boots. Is this really necessary?

Thanks,

Judy

If by the Passau castle hike they mean Veste Oberhaus, then it's a well-maintained gravel path through a forested area up a hill. We did it in regular shoes. No way do you "need" hiking boots. There is a short way up and a long way up the hill. The long way is only about 1 km.

The Durnstein fortress is probably even less of a hike. I'm still envious that Robin got to do it. We didn't have time.

The Bratislava castle is totally in town, and you walk on streets and sidewalks. It took us about 5 minutes. Why they would say that you need hiking boots for that is beyond me.

Edited by jpalbny

The Durnstein fortress was actually quite a bit more strenuous than the Passau castle hike. The elevation change in Durnstein was close to 400 ft, from town. There are two routes to Durnstein. There is a more gentle, but longer cobblestone, then dirt/gravel path, which has educational markers along the way-very interesting. Also, strategically placed, so you can take a quick breather. The shorter way, which we took down, is through the forest, steeper, and more treacherous. Still not necessary to have hiking boots, though.

Here are pictures of the more forgiving way7c90583d6ce289a0f03a3c299d7ec090.jpg

e34b082948b22470a142f3599bc7c583.jpg

And, the more treacherous way

3b6a4d18639ce0ebdeb5711768f1a63d.jpg

If you go to Schoenbrunn Palace, in Vienna, and have time, walk to the top of the Gloriette-also a very rewarding view!

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums