Enough! of the rough seas, weather, rocking boats, etc etc

Hlitner

Since this is the First Time Cruisers forum I thought it might be helpful to dispense with these questions. Some new cruisers (and even those who have previously cruised) ask about the weather and expected sea conditions (months in advance).. There is a recent thread on this blog asking is many days of rough seas are normal! So lets dispense with all these questions in a single post :). Ships sail on the sea. Nobody can forecast sea conditions more then a few days in advance...just like nobody can forecast the weather more then a few days in advance. So please understand that anytime you go on vacation (anywhere) it might rain, be stormy, be gorgeous, etc. And if your vacation is on a ship it might be very smooth sailing or your ship might rock and roll. In fact, your ship might rock an roll because of a big storm a thousand miles away (which caused long swells which can rock the largest vessels). So please understand that when you travel anywhere in the world (on land or sea) you are rolling the dice about the weather (or sea conditions on a ship).

Hank

Amen...never have understood why people getting on a ship expect the seas to be flat calm 99.99% of the time.

Thanks Hank!

LOL Bruce, Another fellow long term cruiser lurking here on the First Time board. The most fun we ever had on an Atlantic crossing was several years ago on the Jewel of the Seas when a big storm (it was a Noreaster that moved off towards Europe) stayed with us for 6 days while we crossed over to Ireland (and it followed us ashore). For one 3 day stretch we had seas of 20-30 feet all day long. They not only drained the pools but even had to empty the hot tubs. When the seas finally settled down to about 15 foot they decided to fill the indoor pool...and we quickly saw what 15 foot seas in a pool could do to a deck (everything and everyone was socked). Those of us who hung out at the indoor pool area were laughing so hard it hurt. Much more fun then the smooth crossings we usually get. DW and I had a cabin up near the bow and it was often hard to walk in our cabin. Sleeping was a riot and redefined "rock a bye baby."

When we are on long cruises where seas are glassy we often wish for some sea action to make it feel like a cruise ship. And when it does get a bit rough it is interesting to hear some cruisers blaming the Captain and cruise line for the bad weather...with a few asking if they can get some kind of compensation. ARGH!

ank

LOL Bruce, Another fellow long term cruiser lurking here on the First Time board. The most fun we ever had on an Atlantic crossing was several years ago on the Jewel of the Seas when a big storm (it was a Noreaster that moved off towards Europe) stayed with us for 6 days while we crossed over to Ireland (and it followed us ashore). For one 3 day stretch we had seas of 20-30 feet all day long. They not only drained the pools but even had to empty the hot tubs. When the seas finally settled down to about 15 foot they decided to fill the indoor pool...and we quickly saw what 15 foot seas in a pool could do to a deck (everything and everyone was socked). Those of us who hung out at the indoor pool area were laughing so hard it hurt. Much more fun then the smooth crossings we usually get. DW and I had a cabin up near the bow and it was often hard to walk in our cabin. Sleeping was a riot and redefined "rock a bye baby."

When we are on long cruises where seas are glassy we often wish for some sea action to make it feel like a cruise ship. And when it does get a bit rough it is interesting to hear some cruisers blaming the Captain and cruise line for the bad weather...with a few asking if they can get some kind of compensation. ARGH!

ank

Well said Hank; any day at sea is better than a sunny day on land!

And to add to all of the well stated information regarding the unpredictability - by time of year or otherwise - of sea conditions (which can an do change daily), hurricane season which runs from June through November, does not mean there will be hurricanes - only that the conditions are favorable for these types of storms to develop. It should also be noted that during the height of the season is one of the most popular - and expensive - times to cruise.

And to add to all of the well stated information regarding the unpredictability - by time of year or otherwise - of sea conditions (which can an do change daily), hurricane season which runs from June through November, does not mean there will be hurricanes - only that the conditions are favorable for these types of storms to develop. It should also be noted that during the height of the season is one of the most popular - and expensive - times to cruise.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is considered the height of the season?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is considered the height of the season?

That is a great question and we would say the answer depends on what part of the world. Keep in mind that cruise ships operate all over the earth and cruise to, and around, all 7 continents. So, for example, the season in Alaska is from May into October. In the Caribbean there are several "seasons" including the Christmas/New Years season, and from late January through April. Then there is another smaller summer season (when school is out). In Australia/NZ the season is from about November through March.

Hank

That is a great question and we would say the answer depends on what part of the world. Keep in mind that cruise ships operate all over the earth and cruise to, and around, all 7 continents. So, for example, the season in Alaska is from May into October. In the Caribbean there are several "seasons" including the Christmas/New Years season, and from late January through April. Then there is another smaller summer season (when school is out). In Australia/NZ the season is from about November through March.

Hank

Wonderful information. Thank you!

I was on a very small ship sailing (80 pax) and we were tied at the dock overnight in Charlette Amelia.

Two pax left the next morning because they found the boat too rocky ... my gosh, we were tied at the dock! :D

Actually, in a bad storm, or with otherwise extreme sea conditions, the last place you'd want to be is tied to a dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One benefit of a cruise ship v. a land vacation is that a ship can change course. Do a search and you'll find TONS of posts across all cruise lines about ports being changed because of weather conditions. For some, this can be a bummer since they may be looking forward to a port, but for me, any day on a cruise ship is a good one. If this means missing one port and going to another, well if the alternative port has sunny skies then I'm ok.

Note, if you booked an excursion with the ship and they missed the port they will refund you. Most land based excursions follow the same policy (I guess they are afraid of bad reviews).

Happy Cruising!

I was on a very small ship sailing (80 pax) and we were tied at the dock overnight in Charlette Amelia.

Two pax left the next morning because they found the boat too rocky ... my gosh, we were tied at the dock! :D

Not totally unusual. A few years ago we took a cruise on HAL's Rotterdam from Rotterdam to NYC. The port of Rotterdam is located in a river several hours from the sea. We were tied at the dock (until late at night) having dinner with a young German couple. During dinner, the German lady started to turn green and got quite sea sick and had to leave dinner. Her husband was not pleased and told us she gets sea sick just looking at water. That poor lady had to endure the 9 day cruise (which crossed to the USA) because they were actually moving to the states. We never saw her out of her cabin after that first night...although her husband was out an about.

Hank

I was referring to the North America hurricane season, which again runs from June through November, and during which June through August is a peak cruising season.

July to August isn't a peak sailing season in the Caribbean...in fact there are few cruise ships in the Caribbean in peak hurricane season.

One benefit of a cruise ship v. a land vacation is that a ship can change course. Do a search and you'll find TONS of posts across all cruise lines about ports being changed because of weather conditions. For some, this can be a bummer since they may be looking forward to a port, but for me, any day on a cruise ship is a good one. If this means missing one port and going to another, well if the alternative port has sunny skies then I'm ok.

Note, if you booked an excursion with the ship and they missed the port they will refund you. Most land based excursions follow the same policy (I guess they are afraid of bad reviews).

Happy Cruising!

Yes and no. We think this "advantage of cruising" is overrated in practice. Yes, a cruise ship will change their itinerary to avoid a hurricane or major storm. But they do not generally change itineraries or courses because of typical bad weather (rain, T-storms, moderately rough seas). They have a schedule and obligations, If safety is an issue they do adjust....but otherwise probably not. And I would add in our forty or so years cruising we have cruised right into a hurricane (the weather forecast was not accurate) and had some cruises with very rough (30 foot plus) seas. This is unlikely on a Caribbean cruise but it does happen on Repositioning cruises. But you have lots of cruisers who will turn green at the thought of 10 foot swells...and this is not something for which a ship will divert.

We have seen many posters (especially those who have not cruised an awful lot) that post things like "do not worry, they will avoid bad weather" which is simply not true. But in the Caribbean if you have a tender port and its a bit rough...you will likely miss that port. Cruise ships can easily handle most sea conditions...but tenders can not! And passengers getting in and out of tenders in rough seas is a major safety problem.

Hank

July to August isn't a peak sailing season in the Caribbean...in fact there are few cruise ships in the Caribbean in peak hurricane season.

I beg to differ - look at RCI's and Celebrity's summer schedule - there are many summer itineraries on a number of ships in the Caribbean. Both cruise lines sail the Caribbean 12 months a year. We have been on many and will be on two this July and August. It is a peak sailing schedule for families with children off school.

I beg to differ - look at RCI's and Celebrity's summer schedule - there are many summer itineraries on a number of ships in the Caribbean. Both cruise lines sail the Caribbean 12 months a year. We have been on many and will be on two this July and August. It is a peak sailing schedule for families with children off school.

Well....compared to, say, January or February, in July/August there is less than 50% of the ships present. HAL is gone (7 or 8 ships), Princess is gone ( 6 or 7 less ships-bringing one ship back for 2018). I think Carnival only has 1 or 2 ships, NCL similar. Far fewer ships. Certainly not high season.

To me, it seems this might a "peak season" created by a decrease in supply, and a perceived higher demand. Remember, during this time frame, the ships go where the higher per diem is. If it were in the Caribbean, many more ships would be there.

...When we are on long cruises where seas are glassy we often wish for some sea action to make it feel like a cruise ship. And when it does get a bit rough it is interesting to hear some cruisers blaming the Captain and cruise line for the bad weather...with a few asking if they can get some kind of compensation. ARGH!

ank

Our first cruise, 4 years ago, was in the Caribbean. I was ok with the overall experience to the point that I agreed with my wife that we would cruise again. But my biggest disappointment was that I could never tell whether the ship was moving or not, it was just too calm! On cruises since then we have had occasional rough weather during which "for safety" most outside areas were closed to passengers. Thank goodness for smokers! If the lines are going to maintain a "no indoor smoking" policy, they need to allow access to some part of the outside for the poor smokers. And I'll gladly join a gaggle of smokers in order to experience the conditions outside.

Stan

Well....compared to, say, January or February, in July/August there is less than 50% of the ships present. HAL is gone (7 or 8 ships), Princess is gone ( 6 or 7 less ships-bringing one ship back for 2018). I think Carnival only has 1 or 2 ships, NCL similar. Far fewer ships. Certainly not high season.

To me, it seems this might a "peak season" created by a decrease in supply, and a perceived higher demand. Remember, during this time frame, the ships go where the higher per diem is. If it were in the Caribbean, many more ships would be there.

You are correct that there are cruise lines with fewer or no ships operating at that time in the Caribbean. But there are also many that do. As example, RCI has 7, Celebrity has 5, and (please double check) Carnival has 10 or more with itineraries then. There are other lines as well with ships there at that time.

My original point was that this time frame is a peak cruise time with families during the height of the hurricane season with many itineraries in the Caribbean. I was not simply trying to define the demand side of the annual seasons. I think we are both correct in our view. :)

Oh my. Carnival with 1 or two ships in the Caribbean in the summer? Carnival has 25 ships. One is permanently downunder. In the summer, two go to Alaska, and two more do short cruises from Long Beach. That leaves 20 ships to sail the Caribbean in that time frame. EM

I agree with you. Summer is peak season for families. RCI leaves many of their largest ships in the Caribbean and Carnival still has the majority of their ships in the Caribbean during these months. Heck, Carnival seems to cruise out of every port, river, creek and ditch on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. ;p

Ships go to Alaska and Europe during those months due to weather and $$$$. It doesn't mean summer in the Caribbean isn't peak season for vacationing families.