Juneau Tips

tee_harbor

With the first cruise arriving in Juneau next week, I wanted to give a couple of head's ups for cruisers.

Bad news first. The opioid addiction crisis is in Juneau too. So far, it hasn't reached the level of purse snatching or muggings, but the thieves will take anything they can, right down to the coat hanging the back of your chair.

Lock your rental cars at all times. I'd recommend shopping at the end of your day, rather having the bags in even a locked car. Windows are broken out at the trailheads and other isolated parking areas like the Shrine or Eagle Beach.

If I were a crazed drug fiend, I'm afraid that cruisers would be a prime target; distracted, loaded down with electronics and cash, and gone in a few hours and thus unlikely to follow up on any charges. Review tips for avoiding travel crime. I expect Juneau PD to put foot patrols downtown as they have in the past seasons.

On a better note, for those interested in taking great pictures in Juneau, or just enjoying better pictures than most of us can take, I'll recommend the Juneau Photo Group Facebook page. It's public, so it's not necessary to join or be a member of Facebook to view the pictures. There's a strong, talented group of photographers in Juneau and the surrounding communities sharing their work.

Thanks for a reminder to be cautious. A sad reality in today's world I'm afraid.

Also...thanks for sharing about the Juneau Photo Group...such beautiful photos. I was surprised to see that the Northern Lights have been out this past week. I know it is highly unlikely, but wouldn't it be great if we could see them next month on our cruise!!!

I couldn't get your link to work, but found the page by doing a search. I tried to post a new link, but it didn't work either. CC must block Facebook links?

Also...thanks for sharing about the Juneau Photo Group...such beautiful photos. I was surprised to see that the Northern Lights have been out this past week. I know it is highly unlikely, but wouldn't it be great if we could see them next month on our cruise!!!

I couldn't get your link to work, but found the page by doing a search. I tried to post a new link, but it didn't work either. CC must block Facebook links?

I wondered if the link would work. Yes, search on Juneau Photo Group and you should find it.

I've been surprised at how late in the year the Northern Lights are going. By watching this group, you can see when the lights are out. They will start posting as soon as someone spots them, and the photographers are posted around town, waiting every clear night. As it's not dark until midnight by June/July, it'll take some tenacity!