Amtrak/Cape Liberty advice please

cooncat_mom

Hi! My husband ('NO, I really DO like to cruise!") and I are doing the Anthem out of Cape Liberty in March 2018. We are 65 and 69 and driving would be possible, but I'd prefer to not be in jail for this cruise after 6 hours in the car with my husband driving...! Consequently, we'll do Amtrak out of Boston with 2 suitcases, a tote/briefcase each and probably a side-folding walker (arthritis in hip & spine).

From what I've read, I'm thinking the EWR station and AirTrain to the hotel shuttles would probably be easier than NJ Penn for us. I've read inconsistent reviews on the Ramada, so am thinking the Airport Marriott and car service to Cape Liberty the next day...?

While I'm very familiar with the Boston and NYC port areas, I have NO knowledge of NJ! Does this sound like a feasible plan?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi! My husband ('NO, I really DO like to cruise!") and I are doing the Anthem out of Cape Liberty in March 2018. We are 65 and 69 and driving would be possible, but I'd prefer to not be in jail for this cruise after 6 hours in the car with my husband driving...! Consequently, we'll do Amtrak out of Boston with 2 suitcases, a tote/briefcase each and probably a side-folding walker (arthritis in hip & spine).

From what I've read, I'm thinking the EWR station and AirTrain to the hotel shuttles would probably be easier than NJ Penn for us. I've read inconsistent reviews on the Ramada, so am thinking the Airport Marriott and car service to Cape Liberty the next day...?

While I'm very familiar with the Boston and NYC port areas, I have NO knowledge of NJ! Does this sound like a feasible plan?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Realistically how well can you manage your luggage? What exact date would you be doing this? What would be your target time to arrive in Newark?

Both Boston and Newark Penn Station have red cap service if that makes a difference. At EWR you will be managing your luggage by yourselves from the train to Airtrain to the P4 station.

Thank you for the quick answer! We're looking at probably 8 PM on Friday the 16th arrival (Being part Irish, I'm thinking I should book fairly soon since the 17th is big in the NY area!). Thank you for letting me know about the Red Cap service - I appreciate them very much. Realistically we can handle the luggage, but the Red Caps make it easier. I had read on another forum that NJ Penn was tougher to navigate, but with Red Caps that would be different.

I know there's a HIlton attached to Penn, so that would be an option too and probably easier for a car service to get to!

Thank you for the quick answer! We're looking at probably 8 PM on Friday the 16th arrival (Being part Irish, I'm thinking I should book fairly soon since the 17th is big in the NY area!). Thank you for letting me know about the Red Cap service - I appreciate them very much. Realistically we can handle the luggage, but the Red Caps make it easier. I had read on another forum that NJ Penn was tougher to navigate, but with Red Caps that would be different.

I know there's a HIlton attached to Penn, so that would be an option too and probably easier for a car service to get to!

Good - you already know about the Hilton. I found this number for Newark Penn Station - tel:(973)491-8792. I would call to verify that there would be red cap service at 8 pm on a Friday. I would also consider taking a cab to the Hilton even though it's right there.

There is an elevator from the platform down to the station. When I came in from Boston, I had trouble finding it. Arriving southbound, it's at the rear of the train at the end if the platform. Signage was poor.

Perfect! Thank you! And thanks for the hint about the elevator - I do like them better than stairs or escalators! I'm guessing that the Hilton is actually nearby but not attached and not walkable? Or just not walkable at night?

I'll make the reservations and we'll be good to go. I appreciate the help :D. !

Edited by cooncat_mom

Perfect! Thank you! I'm guessing that the Hilton is actually nearby and not walkable? Or not walkable at night?

I'll make the reservations and we'll be good to go. I appreciate the help :D. !

It is walkable. There is a skywalk from the station to the hotel, but I haven't used it since the 80's. Use the money you save on the train fare by not going to the airport to take a cab and tip him well for helping with the luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

NWK Penn does not have many Red Caps...usually only 1. Alert the.conductor that you desire one, they will try and call ahead. The hotel is connected, I have done the walk and IIRC it was not too bad...

Sent from the cat's Galaxy S8