Live From May 1 2017 Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise

pkt1976

I'm getting ready to go to the airport, hours away from an amazing trip!!

I found so much helpful information on this itinerary fromothers on Cruise Critic so I’d like to pay it forward and do a live from onthis trip.

A bit about me. I’ll be travelling solo on this trip. Somefriends expressed interest but the cost and amount of time out of country makesit tough to find a travel buddy. In my early 30’s in 2009 I had nasty stage 3cancer and went through Chemo, radiation and multiple surgeries. It tookseveral years to get my strength up and pain down but now I want to see theworld and I’ll go if someone can join me or not. Traveling has provided aneducation without compare. Cruising makes it so easy to travel and see manyplaces in one trip with minimal logistical challenges. If you can, just do it,you never know what tomorrow holds.

I’d been stalking this itinerary for several years so I knewwhat time of the year I wanted to go and what the average price was. Theweather and precipitation seem to be best in May/June which works as the busytime for my work is during the summer.The contacts I’ve made over the years also recommended that time frameso that is what I aimed for.

I’d read everyBritish Isles review on Cruise Critic and taken notes and bookmarked pages forwhen time and money would allow me to visit the places I’ve dreamed of goingfor as long as I can remember.I knew Iwanted to spend a few days in London prior to or after the cruise and that Iwanted a central location with easy access to the tube.

2016 was a benchmark birthday but the timing didn’t work so2017 became my target year. I looked at the itineraries, the costs and theoptimal schedule to have a minimum of vacation days needed but with recoverytime when I returned if possible. The May 1, 2017 was the best match for what Iwanted.

In the summer of 2016, the cost of this cruise was very highbut I knew that it would likely drop.Iused one of my future cruise credits to reserve the inside cabin I wanted inearly September. I had also been watching flight itineraries and costs withBritish Airways and Virgin Atlantic. I really wanted premium economy as Iintended to book a red eye flight for April 27th and want some hopeof sleeping and I wanted a non stop flight both ways.On September 14 2016, I saw a price drop thatI’d been waiting for and got an exceptional deal on a round trip from SFO toLondon Heathrow. I decided in the unlikely event the cruise cost didn’t drop toa reasonable level, I would book a land tour or visit that area on my own.

In December 2016, theprice d-ropped to an excellent price and lower than I thought it would dropto.Oh yes, this trip was a go!I kept checking the price and got anotherhuge price drop in January 2017. I like to book directly with the cruise lineso I have control of the booking and can jump on price drops without having togo through a third party. There was yet another price drop 5 days before finalpayment. It pays to keep checking!

I knew what I wanted to do in each port and started lookingat what the cruise ship offered and what I could book on my own. I’m doing acombination of ship tours, DIY, tours through Viator and a private tour I setup.I booked some through Viator as Icould pay in USD and they have a 7 day cancellation policy.I have the travel insurance but wouldn’t wantto deal with more than I had to.Also,if you don’t see your date at first, keep checking. The last port I wanteddidn’t show a tour for the date until early January.

Travel Insurance- I always buy travel insurance so I’mcovered if I have to cancel, have medical issues lose my luggage or many otherproblems that can occur during travel.I’m relatively young and relatively healthy, but things happen and Iwant to know I’m covered.Since I wasvisiting London 3 days pre cruise and booked several 3rd partytours, I purchased travel insurance through Nationwide. Their cruise specificinsurance is very comprehensive.Itcovers more for me and actually cost less than Princess’ insurance in mycase.

Here’s my plan-

April 27- Red eye flight SFO to London. I’m going to takeUber or Lyft for cost efficiency and ease.

April 28- arrive London 1:40pm. I’m staying at the BestWestern Victoria Palace, which is right near Victoria Station and the theatrewhere Wicked is performed.

April 28-30 touring London

May 1- Princess transfer from Victoria Coach Station toport. I looked at other options and don’t often book transfers through Princessbut did in the case. I did look at bus and train on my own to the port but wentwith Princess so I won’t need to worry about strikes, taxis and logistics whileI haul luggage around.

May 2- Guernsey (GBP)- DIY. I plan to explore on my own andtake the 1 GBP bus around the island and likely visit the Castle Cornet. Thisis a tender port.

May 3- Cork/Cobh (Euro) -Booked through Viator for a tourwith Paddywagon. The tour visits Blarney Castle, Cork, Cobh and Kinsale and thecost included entry to Blarney Castle. In port 0730-1800. Tour time is0800-1500

May 4- Dublin (Euro)- Booked through Viator for a tour withPaddywagon. This tour visits Wicklow, St. Kevin Monastary, TrinityCollege and other sites. Entry fees are notincluded in the cost. In port 0730-1745. Tour time is 0800-1700.

May 5- Belfast (Euro) Booked through Viator for a tour withOdyssey Coach Tours. This tour visits Giant’s Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Carricka Rede Bridge and other sites. Entrance fees are included. In port 0800-2100.Tour time is 0830 to about 1700.

May 6- Glasgow (GBP) Booked through Viator for a tour withTimberbush Tours.This tour visits Douneand Stirling Castles, Troussachs Natl park, Aberfoyle and Loch Lomand. Porttime is 0700-1800. Tour time is 0900-1630.

May 7- At sea….at last a rest day!

May 8- OrkneyIslands (GBP) I booked the Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae & Skaill House

tour through Princess. This port is subject to high winds andsometimes the ship can’t dock. Porttime is 0700-1700, tour time is 1330- 1630 so I’ll have time in the morning tolook around.

May 9- Invergordon (GBP) I booked a private tour for up to 8 withInvergordon Shore Excursions. I chatted back and forth with Nigel who was veryhelpful and answered all my questions as I had them. Pre payment was notrequired and I am to pay him the day of. The tour visits UrquhartCastle, Loch Ness, Inverness, Culloden, Cawdor Castle. The entrance fees arenot included and there is an optional Loch Ness cruise which our group is doingwith Jacobite Tours. Port time is 0700-1800, tour time is 0830- 1630.

May 10- Edinburgh (GBP) TENDER PORT. I booked a tour throughViator with Timberbush Tours. This tour visits Edinburgh Castle, HolyroodPalace, the Britannia, the Royal Mile and other sites. Entry fees were notincluded. Port time is 0700-1900, tour time is 0900-1700.

May 11- another sea day!!!

May 12- Le Havre (Euro).This one was tough. I decided pretty early on that the Paris tour justwasn’t worth it. I’d rather go to Paris on my own at some point to have morethan a few hours there. Instead I booked the Monet’s Home and Rouen throughPrincess. I’ll be able to see a lot more and be less rushed. Port time is0700-2000, tour time is 0815-1845.

May 13- Return to Southampton…the day we all dread when thevacation is over.I booked a Princesstransfer and have a 1410 flight time.

I hope you enjoy!

That freaking nasty, evil, vile, contemptible, (etc.) word Cancer. GAH! If there is something in the world that I absolutely despise that is it. Glad you have whooped it's butt and are now getting out to see the world. There's nothing quite like realizing you might miss out on the rest of forever to make one take notice of what is out there to be experienced.

I'm happy you are going for it and wish you all the very best in the future. Do it NOW. Don't wait.

So first story already!!! My carry on was pulled for inspection by TSA[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I had 20 little boxes of jelly bellys for the crew on the ship. Poor guy had to swab ALL of them [emoji23][emoji23] it didn't even occur to me it would look like a ton of pills [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really looking forward to your live report. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I'm on a British Isle cruise on Vision of the Seas later in May and am taking my first Princess cruise next year, so I'm interested on two counts.

I've booked the same tour for Dublin and am planning on taking the bus in St. Peter Port as well, so any tips you could pass along would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boy, we have a lot in common! I also went solo in May a few years ago. I also flew non-stop in Prem. Economy but from SAN. I wanted to go so badly that there was no way I was going to wait around until my friends or sisters decided this trip was important enough to set aside money for it and DH couldn't go due to lack of vacation days. I had an inside cabin and it suited me perfectly. So nice to have it all to myself!

It looks like you have everything planned out nicely and I totally agree with your choice not to go to Paris. It's just too long of a distance. I'm looking forward to following you on your travels. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did or even more if that's possible! Bon voyage! (y)

May 5- Belfast (Euro) Booked through Viator for a tour withOdyssey Coach Tours. This tour visits Giant’s Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Carricka Rede Bridge and other sites. Entrance fees are included. In port 0800-2100.Tour time is 0830 to about 1700.

Just FYI I noticed you put Belfast down as Euro, don't know if it was a typo or what you paid for the tour in. But, Belfast is part of the UK and therefore GBP. You may well be able to spend Euros in Belfast, but the exchange rate won't be great.

Hope you have a great time in the UK.

Enjoy your cruise - and it's not always accurate 😉😉 but the weather actually look promising for the next week. Sunshine and temperatures up to 60F. OK - so not Caribbean hot but good for the UK in May !!

We are on the 10 Sept, so we will be following closely. We have not booked any excursions yet so very interested in your reviews here. It is our first Princess cruise. We are mostly HAL cruisers, but except for the very expensive Prinsendam, HAL has ceded the BI itinerary to their sister line. We are looking forward to the freshened Caribbean Princess.

Dennis

Really happy you have recovered and able to take this voyage. Enjoy the refurbished CB and your itinerary. We visited a lot of the ports you will see last year and we'll be on the CB for her TA back to Port Everglades in September then the BTB on her as she does the Caribbean Circle Tour.

We are looking forward to your reviews.

Happy travels...I am anxious to hear about your adventures...and your impressions of the changes made to the ship. I sailed on her in 2009 and am booked for next March, 2018...all the pictures I've seen so far look wonderful.

Enjoy.

Susan