Rhine river cruise May or mid October

snowskimom1

We are looking at a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. May 1 or Oct 19, which would be better weather?

We leave may 28th on Vantage. Picked May as weather will probably be springtime, with less rain. In October it could be chilly and damp. But with the global warming, there could be an Indian summer.

We did the first week in May. If you go then, out of Amsterdam, you can go to the Keukenhoff prior to the cruise (so worth it!) Our cruise had mostly mild sunny days, although the day we cruised the castles, it was overcast, chilly and drizzling - which was PERFECT for getting atmospheric photos of the castles. I threw on my raincoat (which has a hood) and hung out topside. The chef on our ship (Uniworld's SS Antoinette) put on a mini-Octoberfest that day so we could sit up top and have German food - it was a GREAT experience!

Starting on 1 May you will "sail into the nice season" and you could well encounter a change from cool weather to lovely Spring days. Leaving on 19 October "you will sail out of the nice season" and are close to November when you leave Budapest. The best time for autumn foliage is 10 to 25 October, you would be a little late. I would prefer May.

notamermaid