I have never done WJ for dinner.

I am not, by nature, a buffet person. I do WJ for breakfast or solarium bistro, but never dinner. After reading the forums, I may just give it a go on a solo cruise in Sept on Anthem. How does the drink package work? I like to start with a cocktail and then a glass of wine with dinner. Do I have to wander around to make this happen?

There are roaming bar servers, though it seems there are fewer now than before the drink packages. If you cannot find one, ask one of the dining staff in Windjammer to get you a bar server.

We enjoy the Windjammer for a night each cruise. It's quiet at night...much quieter than the MDR and we like being able to wear shorts. Food is hit or miss...Royal is not my favorite buffet at sea, but it will do for a quiet evening.

There should be a bar in the WJ and I would imagine the wait staff would find you a bar server to take your order.

Guest maddycat

There is a bar in the Windjammer on the Anthem. On our last Anthem cruise in Oct. at dinner there was also a bar cart set up by one of the entrances with selections of wine and beer.

My wife is completely against buffets in general, and they are not high on my list normally either. We did wj at lunch and were never really impressed, but the last night of our cruise on jots in February, we did wj for dinner on the last night to meet several friends, and my wife was sad we had not done it more. She had been disappointed in the desserts all week in the mdr, and she was very happy with the selection of both desserts and the other food in wj. She is even planning on doing the wj more than the mdr on our allure cruise next year at this point.

We had no problem getting drinks in the wj at lunch or dinner.

We eat in the Windjammer 90% of the time and the other time in a specialty restaurant. We are not the 'sit for hours and eat' type of people and the only time we do is when we go to Giovannis. We much prefer to choose from the large selection in the buffet and not have to dress for dinner. We are on vacation and don't want to be on a schedule :cool:

We had never eaten dinner in the WJ until our January cruise. We decided to go one evening and just see how things were. People who say it is quieter, are correct. They had a sushi chef making sushi that was decent. There were ham & turkey carving stations. The Indian food was awesome (it always is, IMO), and some of the food selection were items I knew were also being served in the MDR. I always choose a salad in the MDR, so I enjoyed putting my own together, my way. I'm not a huge fan of MDR desserts (too foamy & mushy) so I appreciated the ice cream station with dipped ice cream. There were sauces & fruit for it, and of course, sprinkles, and paired with a cookie...best dessert of the cruise. We are not food snobs, and we were really surprised at how decent the dinner was in the WJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

^ CCC3, nice description for those who have not tried WJ for dinner.

We love it - are converts now. We go to the MDR on Formal Nights but it's WJ for us the rest of the cruise. Fabulous. Some ships are better than others but needless to say, we have never left hungry or unsatisfied. :D

We have not used the MDR for some time now. We really enjoy the atmosphere in the Windjammer for dinner. However, lately it seems that more and more people are getting the same idea so it is not always as quiet as it used to be.

I've even done the WJ on formal nights when I've been all dressed up. It's nice! They turn the music down so it's not blaring, the lights are dimmed, and you can see the ship lit up with the evening decorative lights, which makes for a really pretty view.

We have not used the MDR for some time now. We really enjoy the atmosphere in the Windjammer for dinner. However, lately it seems that more and more people are getting the same idea so it is not always as quiet as it used to be.

This is your fault you know.

Get yourself into MTD. That way you can check the dining room menu and check out the WJ before you decide where to eat. I finally got DH on a cruise and we ate every night in the WJ except for one night in Giovanni's. Always found something tasty, particularly the Mongolian stir fry. Atmosphere was quiet, calm and relaxed. I also liked the dessert choices better.

We are have been converts of the WJ for some years now. If we had to wait in line for our MTD dining reservations very long, I would politely let the hostess know we have chosen to go to the WJ instead. We walk in with a glass of wine and find a nice quiet spot in the corner. Very nice!

We are not heavy eaters for dinner anyway, so we can take just what we want, and enjoy

sampling dishes I have not had before. We go late, when most of the officers have come in

for dinner. They know good food. :)

Lately I have not made reservations for MTD, since we are enjoying the WJ so much now, and

yes...as already stated....even on formal night. ;)

So then all you WJ converts, don't complain when the MDR on the Icon class is smaller because RCI assumes many folks don't want to go there.

Biker, who thinks just as the MTD numbers are going up (away from traditional) so are the WJ numbers.

Go the night after the MDR serves Lobster...someone I, uh know, may have eaten 6 lobster tails once.

Do they serve Lobster in the Windjammer? We thought they only served Lobster in the MDR? That's probably the only reason why we go to the MDR, because we like the Lobster Tail. We have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. Is the food pretty comparable?

Do they serve Lobster in the Windjammer? We thought they only served Lobster in the MDR? That's probably the only reason why we go to the MDR, because we like the Lobster Tail. We have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. Is the food pretty comparable?

Lobster has been reported in Windjammer on one or two ships.

So then all you WJ converts, don't complain when the MDR on the Icon class is smaller because RCI assumes many folks don't want to go there.

Biker, who thinks just as the MTD numbers are going up (away from traditional) so are the WJ numbers.

And Island Lady agrees. ;)