Just returned from Tauck ... Questions?

AirGorilla

This is a thread about Tauck, why is everybody piling on about AMA?

Do they have "gentle walker" groups on excursions?

Post #13 made a mis-statement about AMA itineraries, which caviargal corrected in post #23. And yes, AMA does have "gentle walker" groups on all their excursions.

Post #13 made a mis-statement about AMA itineraries, which caviargal corrected in post #23. And yes, AMA does have "gentle walker" groups on all their excursions.

I'm talking about Tauck, not AMA. If I wanted to ask a question about AMA, I'd start a new thread, or ask in an appropriate one.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm talking about Tauck, not AMA. If I wanted to ask a question about AMA, I'd start a new thread, or ask in an appropriate one.

Hi Wendy, I was going to mention the Tauck Q&A at the top of the River Cruise page but then noticed you found it;-). We are on our 1st Tauck river cruise from Budapest to Prague Spring of 2016 and are very excited because we have only read wonderful reviews about Tauck. Hope you get your answer soon or another "experienced" Tauck cruiser will chime in.

Hi Wendy, I was going to mention the Tauck Q&A at the top of the River Cruise page but then noticed you found it;-). We are on our 1st Tauck river cruise from Budapest to Prague Spring of 2016 and are very excited because we have only read wonderful reviews about Tauck. Hope you get your answer soon or another "experienced" Tauck cruiser will chime in.

Yes, I did. I don't really have many questions, since I know it's going to be top-notch. but once in a while I have some idle speculations. :D

This is a thread about Tauck, why is everybody piling on about AMA?

Do they have "gentle walker" groups on excursions?

I've cruised twice with Tauck and to my knowledge they did not have an "advertised" Gentle Walker group but as Tauck have 3 TD's they always had someone to look after those who didn't walk as fast as others. Tauck are a class above the the rest and everyone is treated special.

We were on Tauck for two trips in France earlier this year. They had gentle walking tours every day. They usually were smaller groups which was good. When we visited Monets gardens, they had a short cut that allowed our group to walk a shorter distance plus the entire Tauck group was able to enter the gardens at 9:00am, one hour earlier than the public. They also had an alternate trip in two other stops that had lots of steps. We really enjoyed the slower pace.

• 11 months later...
Hi folks --

Just returned from a Tauck river cruise on the Esprit from Amsterdam to Basel, including the Moselle. Had a great time, and will be pleased to answer questions.

My best,

AG

AirGorilla,

Not sure if you're still active here but how did you like the food on board Esprit? We've sailed Uniworld only and really enjoyed the jars of candy and snacks, coffee and tea always available. Does Tauck have that?

What type of cabin did you book? Was it comfortable?

Was there much free time in ports?

thanks

AirGorilla,

Not sure if you're still active here but how did you like the food on board Esprit? We've sailed Uniworld only and really enjoyed the jars of candy and snacks, coffee and tea always available. Does Tauck have that?

What type of cabin did you book? Was it comfortable?

Was there much free time in ports?

thanks

Have done one additional trip on Esprit since my original post, in July 2016. Liked the food very much. Yes, there is always food and beverages available in the restaurant at the stern of the boat. In addition, you can order from a list of snacks which are deliverable to your stateroom, or the location of your choice.

We had a stateroom on Ruby Deck, which is on the second level. It was quite comfortable. Small, but well-designed for space usage.

There was free time in every port.

Hope this is helpful!

AG

• 4 months later...

One other question regarding food. One aspect we really enjoyed on Uniworld was the regional dishes and wines offered. While on the Moselle we were served some wonderful Alsatian Reislings and of course some great Rhine wines on der Rhine. We are hoping that Tauck would serve some Gruner Veltliners and Tokaji on the Danube! I read somewhere that Tauck menus are very American style. Did you find that to be the case?