AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

Valley Girl of VA

Thanks for your comments on your (positive) experience with transfers.

It turns out the AMA rep I initially spoke with was incorrect, and subsequently the AMA VP clarified their policy - which does allow transfers from/to hotel to ship even if you do your own Pre or Post cruise tours.

Post #94 has the details (from AMA).

• 1 month later...

We booked the "Port Wine & Flamenco" on AmaWaterways. We're excited to visit this part of Europe.

I know the river cruise Roll Calls are not typically very active, but I hope to meet others who will be on this cruise. Anyone else on this Douro river cruise that embarks on July 25, 2017?

We're doing the pre-cruise in Lisbon and the post-cruise in Madrid.

I would love to hear from others who are going on the Douro River, on AmaWaterways.

Thanks!

Good morning to all,

Have a "hold" on this sailing-just have to schedule with work & DH ( I usually tell him where and when about 48 hrs prior-see my previous posts & review). This will be our 2nd AMA cruise. We sailed July2016 Barcelona Spain & Provence. Was very impressed by the AMA product. So.. if there is anyone out there who has/will do this itinerary would love to share suggestions ,tips etc.

Thx

Carole

Good morning to all,

Have a "hold" on this sailing-just have to schedule with work & DH ( I usually tell him where and when about 48 hrs prior-see my previous posts & review). This will be our 2nd AMA cruise. We sailed July2016 Barcelona Spain & Provence. Was very impressed by the AMA product. So.. if there is anyone out there who has/will do this itinerary would love to share suggestions ,tips etc.

Thx

Carole

Hi Carole,

My husband and I did the Paris & Normandy cruise with AmaWaterways. It was our second river cruise with AMA and it was a wonderful cruise.

The itinerary is very good, the ship and crew were attentive, food was great, other passengers friendly and well-traveled.

We especially loved visiting Monet's house and gardens. Just beautiful! Also, we very much enjoyed visiting the beaches of Normandy and the cemeteries. It was a very moving experience, and made us even more grateful for the sacrifices made by the valiant soldiers and sailors.

We spent several days in Paris (on our own) before the cruise. So much to see and do there. After the cruise, we took the Eurostar (chunnel) to London. We stayed in London for a few days, then took the train to Edinburgh, saw the military tattoo. Then we rented a car and drove all over Scotland, then through the Cotswolds and back to London. It was an amazing adventure.

The Seine river wasn't as scenic as the Danube, but there are certainly beautiful sights. The evening sail-in to Paris was really pretty with the Eiffel Tower aglow.

Have fun planning and if you have any questions, I can try to help.

Bobbie

We're booked on the Amakristina. The Rhine Basel to Amsterdam departing Basel on May 6th. First River cruise!!!

Hi Jane, I'm also booked on this cruise! I booked the pre-cruise hotels in Lucerne and Zurich and I've booked Hotel Brouwer on the Singel canal in Amsterdam. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that spring is late in 2017 so I don't miss the masses of tulips.

I've already been working on this trip. It has turned into a much bigger trip than I originally planned. I figured this could possibly by my last Europe trip/cruise so going for the gold. I'm arriving in Paris 4/21/17, staying in a timeshare exchange, then heading to London for 5 days, then train to our pre-cruise hotel in Switzerland. I'm staying in Amsterdam till 5/18 when I head back to MD. Just shy of a month of traveling solo. I contacted AMA about their fly program and although they don't have that out yet, they did give me a pretty good hint how much r/t would cost. I ended up getting a great deal, $200 cheaper than the price on the airlines website; I had to call the airline for a question and they quoted this lower price. Who knew that calling them would be cheaper than their internet price! I must've hit the right time, right day.

I did great on my Ireland 3 week trip. I actually enjoyed being able to spontaneously change plans, go on a tour, walk around the city, etc. I met tons of friendly people.

Where are you coming from? This is my 2nd river cruise. Just got off a 9 day cruise of New England and Canada with my husband. It was great.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Linda

Hi Linda! I see you have been on many cruises! We tend to like the smaller ships, and slower pace. So I think the river cruise will be perfect.

My husband and I live in Florida. We are looking forward to meeting you and others.

We just completed the Enchanting Rhine itinerary on the AMACerto on October 12th. This was our 2nd river cruise with AMA and 3rd overall. We cruised on the Danube w/pre- and posts from Prague to Budapest October 2015 on the AMALyra. We are booked to sail on the AMALyra Paris & Normandy cruise March 30th. We love AMAWaterways and cannot say enough about the service we have received. I had a group of 26 on this last cruise and AMA bent over backwards to make sure that our group was having a wonderful time. We are all in our early to mid 50's so I think it was really refreshing for them to have a younger demographic. Our cruise director, DeJan, had great entertainment for us (a Motown duo, ABBA tribute band, Musical Theatre songstress, and a young classical string trio). With a younger group, the bike tours, hiking tours and choices of tours made everyone happy and appealed to a wide variety of personalities.

If you are on the fence about AMA, jump off and book. You will not be disappointed.

Hi Carole,

My husband and I did the Paris & Normandy cruise with AmaWaterways. It was our second river cruise with AMA and it was a wonderful cruise.

The itinerary is very good, the ship and crew were attentive, food was great, other passengers friendly and well-traveled.

We especially loved visiting Monet's house and gardens. Just beautiful! Also, we very much enjoyed visiting the beaches of Normandy and the cemeteries. It was a very moving experience, and made us even more grateful for the sacrifices made by the valiant soldiers and sailors.

We spent several days in Paris (on our own) before the cruise. So much to see and do there. After the cruise, we took the Eurostar (chunnel) to London. We stayed in London for a few days, then took the train to Edinburgh, saw the military tattoo. Then we rented a car and drove all over Scotland, then through the Cotswolds and back to London. It was an amazing adventure.

The Seine river wasn't as scenic as the Danube, but there are certainly beautiful sights. The evening sail-in to Paris was really pretty with the Eiffel Tower aglow.

Have fun planning and if you have any questions, I can try to help.

Bobbie

Thx so much for your response. Just getting pricing quotes so will most likely do Paris on our own as I have status with Marriott and have been to Paris 15+ times-no need for a "panoramic tour" following the cruise portion. A few questions:

1. Did you write a review?

2.Approximately how much actual free time (as opposed to 15 minutes and then get to the vessel) did you have in Giverny and Rouen?

3.In Conflans di you get into the town or just the "stroll along the riverbank" ( I do love brochure talk).

Any other hints suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Carole

Thank you doktor for making this post! We are booked on the same trip that you are, however, we have booked it through the Silvestryn winery in Napa Valley. Just a few extra wine dinners and tastings. We have also cruised many ocean cruises but never on a river. We are flying on Thursday the 14th from Detroit to Prague to have three nights on our own in a Marriott as we had points to cash in. I was able to find a private driving company that quoted me US$170 in a town car to pick us up at our hotel and take us to the ship. Did this to say we booked that! I would be happy to pass information along if anyone would like it.

Enjoying all of your posts! Does anyone have any idea what to expect for weather in mid April?

Glad Carmel your onboard. We also fly on the 14th. We fly Orlando to Frankfurt and then on to Prague. We are staying in AMA hotel(have to look up name). AMA is also providing transportation to hotel with a cost, but I think, less than you are paying. We will also stay 3 nights in Budapest at the end.

Weather to us wii be chilly. It has been awhile sense I have looked at what I have planned and the details. If I remember correctly weather will be anywhere from high 30's to low 70's. My direct email is Jim816@aol.com. We live in North Melbourne, Fl. Looking forward to chatting!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you doktor for making this post! We are booked on the same trip that you are, however, we have booked it through the Silvestryn winery in Napa Valley. Just a few extra wine dinners and tastings. We have also cruised many ocean cruises but never on a river. We are flying on Thursday the 14th from Detroit to Prague to have three nights on our own in a Marriott as we had points to cash in. I was able to find a private driving company that quoted me US$170 in a town car to pick us up at our hotel and take us to the ship. Did this to say we booked that! I would be happy to pass information along if anyone would like it.

Enjoying all of your posts! Does anyone have any idea what to expect for weather in mid April?

Carmel:

Are you on the AMASerena or the AMADante? We are on the AMADante. The river sailing starts April 20th from Nuremberg. We have 3 nights in Prague with AMA prior to the sailing. Are you on this cruise or the April 17th sailing which sails from Vilshofen?

Sandy

Good morning to all,

Thx

Carole

Hi,

General question does anyone know the (approx) departure time from Paris on the Paris-Normandy itinerary? Trying to plot day 1 with flight, luggage drop off & seeing friends.

Thx

Carole

Hi,

General question does anyone know the (approx) departure time from Paris on the Paris-Normandy itinerary? Trying to plot day 1 with flight, luggage drop off & seeing friends.

Thx

Carole

We did the Paris - Normandy with AMA in April 2014. It was our first river cruise and just wonderful! If I remember correctly, they sail around 4 or 5, but you'll want to confirm that with AMA. We got stuck in a traffic nightmare in the city and were the last ones to embark, just before sailing!! And just before dinner...phew! AMA is a wonderful company.

We have sailed with them 3 times, and are planning our next one for 2017!

Enjoy!!

Terri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you have booked an AMA sailing in recent months or are considering one, you might want to call and speak with one of AMA's reps. Since we booked the first of February, they have changed their web site on a least three different occasions. There are some great and reasonable optional tours they offer which are not showing in the itinerary section of their site. When we booked, the optional excursions were listed. They still offer most of them, but do not list them.

Tea Bag

I can understand. The only way I was aware of the optional tours was because when I booked Feb 1st they were listed on the detailed itinerary. I have called twice as well as my TA with questions about excursions. We are on the land and sailing on the Amadante (legendary Danube) April 17th. The optional tour I wanted, and they still offer are the following:

Prague-Folklore Dinner and to city of Terezin

Passat-Linz-Trip to Salzburg

Melk-Vienna-Mozart Strauss Concert

I believe there is also one in Vienna, and there may be one in Budapest.

Call AMA question what they will offer on your sailing. They should be able to tell you. I really wanted to go to Salzburg. It is a sham they have removed the excursions. You cannot book them until you arrive.

Thank you doktor. I will try nearer the time. I don't even know what is offered for free. Would really like to see a concert in Vienna but we might just go there before we board the ship as we will be in Budapest for 10 days prior.

Thank you doktor. I will try nearer the time. I don't even know what is offered for free. Would really like to see a concert in Vienna but we might just go there before we board the ship as we will be in Budapest for 10 days prior.

Hi,:) when I sailed AMA in April all the excursions except 1 were included

in the price of the cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time.:)