Vantage, Burgundy, Beaujolais, & Provence

zogrand

i will try to post every so often. At the moment we're cruising down the Soane. So far everything is wonderful. Our flight from Boston to Frankfurt via Lufthansa was on time. We had a 3 hour layover in Frankfurt which was more than enough time. The biggest problem was the very long walk from our arrival gate to our departure gate. Travel through Lyon airport was quick and efficient and upon exiting the immigration/luggage area we easily found the Vantage rep. There is another long walk to the bus, towing our luggage. The bus ride to Chalon sur Soane was almost exactly 1 hour 45 minutes, all highway, no traffic.

The ship was docked at the Port du Nord. The ship is very long and lovely. The cruise director came onto the bus to welcome us on arrival and by the time we got off the bus our luggage had been unloaded and within 10 minutes was in our cabin. The cabin is lovely. The is lots of storage and suitcases fit under the bed. There are two big umbrellas in the cabin but no walking sticks. The bathrooms are big, also lots of storage, nice hot water, and the shower is big.

It's about a 15 minute flat walk to the center of Chalone sur Soane. It is a beautiful town, lots of half timbered houses and a big Church.

This morning we toured to Beaune to see the Hospice de Beaune. Enroute we got a wine lesson, stopped in a vineyard, and travelled through several beautiful villages. About 1:45 we left the dock to travel South.

Dress warmly! There is quite a breeze and it is definitely chilly! Right now it's sunny but rain is coming I'm afraid.

The tour director is Ana but she is getting off the boat at the end of this trip.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them if I can.

Thank you for posting (keep it up, if possible!). We are doing this cruise in just a few weeks- our first with Vantage, although we've had many with GCT.

There have been a few posts about walking sticks. We hadn't planned on taking ours but will do so if recommended. Please let us know if any of the normal walking tours are very hilly.

Did you walk to Chalone sur Soane on your own or on a guided tour with someone from the ship? If on your own, did they give you a map or should we download one before we leave? I try to stay awake (and active) on my first day; it helps me adjust to the time change. We should be arriving on the ship right at lunch time (assuming no flight delays) and will need to find a restaurant (and wine!) asap. Then, we'll tour the town for awhile.

Thanks again, Lynn

Chilly and rainy today. Had our choice of two tours - Cluny Abbey or Chateau Cormatin. We chose the chateau. It is a restored chateau and very lovely. The gardens too have been restored and if it hadn't been raining would have been delightful. Everyone we were with enjoyed the tour. Later those who traveled to Cluny we also very pleased with their choice.

Yesterday and today we cruised along for the river for a few hours. The river is lovely, very bucolic. We see lots of birds, swans, cormorants, herons. Cattle and cows are also grazing along the banks.

Food has been very good. There's a buffet breakfast every morning. Offered are lots of breads, pastries, eggs, potatoes, fruit, smoked salmon, an egg station, cereals, all the good things you like for breakfast. On the first day lunch was also a buffet since everyone was arriving at different times but since then lunch has been a sit down meal with 3 or 4 choices plus a salad bar and pasta choice. The evening meal is usually at 7. We have 3 choices of entrees, 2 or 3 desserts plus an appetizer and soup. Servings are small but we are filled at the end of the meal.

All is staff are pleasant and friendly. So far we are. Really enjoying the trip.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your travelogue...very interesting and informative.

We are on this starting 10/30, and are interested in the weather you are experiencing - especially the temperature, so we know what to pack (still about 80 degrees today in NC - shorts and t-shirt weather for me!).

Also anything you might share about evening activities on the ship.

Thanks and keep having a great time!

Stan

The onboard electrical current is 220v; in addition to European two-pin sockets, each cabin has a useful 110v socket for U.S. plugs. There is a 120/230v shaver socket in the bathroom. The sockets next to the desk/dressing table are well situated for using the hairdryer and recharging phones and personal devices; however, the two situated close to the floor beneath the shelves of the bedside tables are hard to reach.

Could you do me a favor and take a look at electrical plug locations? I use a CPAP and usually have it on the bedside table. Are the plugs mentioned close to the beside table, within 8-10 feet? If they are reasonably close, I can leave my extension cord home.

Thank you for posting (keep it up, if possible!). We are doing this cruise in just a few weeks- our first with Vantage, although we've had many with GCT.

Thanks again, Lynn

JerseyGem,

When are you going on this? There are 7 of us (3 groups) going on the October 30 sailing, and 5 of us flying from Philly and one couple going from JFK.

Stan

CPT Trips - there is one plug on each side of the bed under the bedside tables. They are 220, 2 prong plugs. Across from the foot of the bed is a desk with two plugs. One is 220 and the other is 110. If your machine can only use 110 then you will need an extension cord, probably an 8-10 feet one. You should be fine without one if your machine is duel voltage and can use 220.

Car-Stan - The weather has been very chilly, low 50's with wind. Sweaters, scarves, layers are best. We have also had 2 very rainy days. Umbrellas are available. There is very little activity at night. Last evening we had an accordionist who was very entertaining but that's it. There are games and puzzles available. There are free movies available on the TV. During the day we have had a Creme brûlée demonstration and a talk about French waterways. That's about it!

Today we had a wonderful trip to Beaujolais. We went to George du Beouf and enjoyed a Disney like entertainment about the area as well as a wine tasting. There was a great wine gift shop but not enough time to really explore it all. We're now enroute to Lyon, have been through a lock, and aren't due to arrive until after supper. All is good!

I will say we were told this is only one of two cruises this season uninterrupted by water levels. We were happy to be on this cruise when I heard that.

yes, thank you for taking the time.

I am finally getting excited about our trip, which starts on the 20th.

Just today we got a cabin assignment.

I had read stories about some of these ships overbooking and people getting bumped at the last minute.......but thankfully, that worry has been resolved.

yes, thank you for taking the time.

I am finally getting excited about our trip, which starts on the 20th.

Just today we got a cabin assignment.

I had read stories about some of these ships overbooking and people getting bumped at the last minute.......but thankfully, that worry has been resolved.

Glad you are all set and getting excited. Hope you have a fantastic time!!

Be sure to save some wine and beer for us poor folk who follow you on the 30th!

Stan

Zogrand,

Thanks for taking the time to check and respond.

Stan,

JerseyGem is with me ;).

Cool. My wife's name is Carolyn. We are looking forward to meeting you at the airport. I am about 5'10" with graying hair and she is 5'1" with white hair. One of us may be carrying a Vantage sign or logo I can print off.

We are probably taking a limo, and will probably be there a bit early.

Stan

Lyon was wonderful. The tour brought us to the market place which was amazing and the old city. We chose to stay in the old city to have lunch and take the funicular up to the Basilica. We highly recommend this! The view is beautiful and the basilica interior is stunning - all mosaic, gold and turquoise. The old city has lots of great little shops to see, along with vendors. The way back to the ship is a hike but either flat or downhill so is doable. This morning we took the optional tour to Perouges. The village is authentic and beautiful. We left Lyon about 2 pm and arrived in Vienne about 5 pm. Tonight was the captain's dinner - delicious!! We also had great entertainment tonight, a singer, guitarist, and drummer. They were wonderful.

The chef came by and told us, tonight, that if you want bigger portions, you can order a double portion. Good to know if you think the portions are too small.

Yesterday and today were warmer and there was no rain - temps up to middle 60's. Rain is promised again for tomorrow.

More to follow as we are expecting to leave Vienne early tomorrow afternoon and not arrive in our next port until late tomorrow night.

Zogrand, it seems like each post you make leads me to a question.

We too are planning lunch in Lyon, I read about a place up near the Basilica and want to make a reservation. So, about what time did your morning tour finish, and how long did it take to get up to the basilica? That will help us time the reservation.

Did you also go to the Roman museum and ruins while up the hill?

Thanks again.

Zogrand,

Thank you so much for your posts. I was so happy to find this thread just now. My husband and I will be on the trip starting on Oct 30 as well. This will be our first trip to Europe and our first river cruise as well. We have been on ocean cruises before and feel comfortable about those but this is totally new to us. We have been trying to plan what to pack, so any tips will be appreciated. Can you tell us what most people are wearing during the day and in the evening?

My husband is Malcolm and I am Karen. We live in Lincoln, NE and will be flying from Omaha. Our flight is scheduled to go through Paris before Lyon and we are somewhat apprehensive about the connection. Vantage booked our flights and so we are hoping the time will be adequate. Is there anything we should be researching ahead of time like things to do on our own at any of the stops? I t is somewhat hard to tell from the itinerary as no times are provided. (We are used to ocean cruises which publish the arrival and departure times at each port).

I hope you continue to have a good time! We will be watching for future posts and are looking forward to meeting other travelers on our trip. Thanks again.

... Can you tell us what most people are wearing during the day and in the evening?...
I did this trip in early April 2015, so temps would be approximate those of early November. Even here on the quite civilized River board there can be dress code "disagreements", but November pretty well precludes discussion of the appropriateness of shorts. LAYERS should be #1 in your packing consideration, as temps could vary 30 degrees or more. For November I (a guy, but you can extrapolate to women) would take some long sleeve shirts, a fleece jacket, a good rain / wind coat and a watch cap/toboggan cap and wool gloves (these last two take up little space or weight and give me an additional 10-15 degrees of warmth). If the Mistral is blowing a coat to break the wind is very worthwhile (and if there is any accompanying rain an umbrella is useless in that wind). Cobblestones are common on walking tours, so functional footwear is recommended. I take my mid-weight waterproof hikers (you would be correct if you have guessed that I was an Eagle scout who would much rather be warm and dry, than unprepared and complaining). If you have good lucky with weather most of this will be overkill, but I try not to be at the mercy of luck.

For dinner most men will be in docker type pants and a nice shirt (think casual Fridays at an office). A sport coat is not needed at any time, but some will wear them for the Captain's Dinner - I would never take one for summer river cruises, but do take one early spring or late fall as it can also function as an addition layer of warmth. More often than not after a day of touring, I take a shower and put on fresh clothes for dinner - not required but it makes ME feel better. With liberal use of laundry I travel only with carry on.

River Boats ( and Vantage) tend to be relaxed and a minimum of fashion police. Function tends to predominate over style, but people still dress nicely. ENJOY your cruise!

Thom

CPT Trips - We left the morning tour in the Old City of Lyon about 11:45 and it took about half an hour to get to the Basilica. The tour continued on for a little longer but leaving the tour when we did was an offered option. The ride up the funicular was 2.80 euros per person and the ticket machine takes CC's. Ours is a chip card so I'm not sure if that is the only kind it will take. It will also take exact change. The basilica is right in front of you as you exit the funicular. We didn't go to the ruins but they are about a 5-10 minute walk from the basilica. The ship overnights in Lyon so no rush to get back. We walked back but it is a hike. Also, dinner on the ship is usually about 6:30 - 7 so if you hope to have dinner on the ship you will need to get back. That is the only dinner time, and the only food available in the evening.

Cruising quilter - I know what you mean about trying to plan. Most days we have left the port shortly after arriving back from the morning tours, no later than 2pm. There is free time when the optional tours are offered. There is a WWII Deportation museum in old Gestapo headquarters near where the boat docks in Lyon. We didn't get to it but would have liked to. Clothing is much more casual on river boats. Many wear jeans during the day and some even for dinner. The dressy dinner is casual too. I saw a couple of jackets and ties on men but not many. Some women wore dressy long skirts but otherwise nice slacks and blouses. They will do laundry if you bring things good for washing - no dry cleaning.

General things - there is soap, face cloths, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and shower gel provided. The hair dryer is fine for me but doesn't have lots of power. The shower is much bigger than on big ship cruise ships with glass door. The is a clothes line in the shower. One bottle of water is provided. After that you pay for your own or use the ships water. They give us each a portable water bottle to fill for taking if needed. Not sure what to say about your layover in Paris. How long is it? Paris is not my favorite airport so we try to avoid it.

Currently we have left Vienne and are cruising along having gone through 2 more locks. Our balcony door is open and we aren't cold. Vienne has a few old homes and some Roman ruins which are interesting. There aren't many shops. We're about to head to the lounge for a wine, cheese and bread tasting - the "French Trinity" we're told!

Great. Thanks so much for the information, exactly what I needed!

If I understand the guidebooks, we plan to visit the ruins and then take the other funicular down to head back to the ship. The plan is to get back for dinner ;).

...There is a WWII Deportation museum in old Gestapo headquarters near where the boat docks in Lyon. We didn't get to it but would have liked to...
We spent well over an hour in that museum, and would recommend it for anyone interested in history of the period, or who just enjoy history museums in general. It was probably less than a 10 minute walk from where we were docked.

http://www.chrd.lyon.fr/chrd/sections/fr/pied/english_1

Thom

Zogrand,

Thank you so much for your posts. I was so happy to find this thread just now. My husband and I will be on the trip starting on Oct 30 as well. This will be our first trip to Europe and our first river cruise as well. We have been on ocean cruises before and feel comfortable about those but this is totally new to us. We have been trying to plan what to pack, so any tips will be appreciated. Can you tell us what most people are wearing during the day and in the evening?

My husband is Malcolm and I am Karen. We live in Lincoln, NE and will be flying from Omaha. Our flight is scheduled to go through Paris before Lyon and we are somewhat apprehensive about the connection. Vantage booked our flights and so we are hoping the time will be adequate. Is there anything we should be researching ahead of time like things to do on our own at any of the stops? I t is somewhat hard to tell from the itinerary as no times are provided. (We are used to ocean cruises which publish the arrival and departure times at each port).

I hope you continue to have a good time! We will be watching for future posts and are looking forward to meeting other travelers on our trip. Thanks again.

Hi, Karen and Malcolm,

There are now 9 of us on this river cruise leaving 10/30. This seems like an amazing number of CCers on the same river cruise, because usually I have not found more than one other couple, if that!

I posted a question on a new thread I started on the CC Cruise Air boards and got some very specific information for our transfer of flights in Madrid. You may want to do the same re your change in Paris. This may address any concerns you have about making the second flight to Lyon.

Looking forward to meeting you in Lyon!

Stan

Thom...shouldn't you be packing?

Have a great trip....

We may pass in Viet Nam somewhere....when we get off and you get on!

I hope you love Myanmar as much as I did.

I don't leave for Bangkok and then Myanmar until tomorrow so I still have lots of time to pack:p! I hope that you find the RV Mekong Navigator terrific and that you leave it in great shape for me. You'll be gone from the boat before we get there, but maybe we'll meet at a rest stop between Kampong Cham and Siem Rep ( I've had similar happen before). You can leave that bottle of scotch at the front desk, and I'll pick it up there:D ENJOY

Thom