Did we make a mistake with Uniworld?

calteacher

Our TA highly suggested a river cruise with Uniworld. This is our first river cruise after about 15 "ocean" cruises, all but one on Holland America. Her feeling was that since we were accustomed to HAL, Uniworld would best fit our needs.

Now, however, I find almost not reviews about Uniworld cruises, and Uniworld is MORE expensive than others. If anyone can comment about Uniworld cruises, and particularly the Rhine/Moselle cruise, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Uniworld is wonderful I will be taking my seventh and my husbands' sixth cruise with them in December. We are foodies and highly appreciate attention to details. Also I am now gluten free and dining is a pleasure! Before Uniworld we had taken close to 40 ocean cruises over the years. I might not like the decor for my home but I like the high end bedding I have at home. I hope this helps.

Second seating

There are not nearly as many reviews for ANY river cruise line as for the ocean cruises. This is directly related to the number of passengers aboard the river ships.

We have been on 13 river cruises, one with Uniworld. We found the cruise to be very good for us in overall experience.

I would be excited, and not at all concerned.

Edited by caviargal

We just booked our 4th river cruise with Uniworld on their "Legendary Rhine and Moselle" trip. Take a look at this year's cruise companion for the trip. The itinerary sounds wonderful. Lots of options for excursions. We have always felt that Uniworld offered us a wonderful experience. We took a Viking Rhine river trip in 2014. Some of the itinerary is the same, so it will be interesting to compare. Although Uniworld might seem expensive, they are all-inclusive, where some of the less expensive cruise company deals are not. Gratuities for crew, guides and bus drivers and bar tabs and transfers add up if they aren't included. Just something to consider when deciding on a river cruise.

I have read very positive reviews about the Moselle river, and my husband and I are very much looking forward to this trip! When are you taking your cruise?

We board the River Queen April 21, 2017. We picked April as we want to see the tulips in Amsterdam before we leave. At the time we booked I did not realize that spring flooding could possible prevent our cruise from being able to sail the entire distance. Here's hoping that we don't need to stay in one position for several days and just travel by bus to various locations for other days.

We also arranged our own airfare on AA using miles (and $$$) just before I discovered that Uniworld was actually providing free air for various cruises. But, we will enjoy it anyway.

We loved our first cruise with Uniworld last year so much that we immediately booked a second one right after we got home. We leave for that one (Christmas Markets) in a little over a month. Can't wait!

Everything, from service to food and beverage selections, etc., is top of the line, and we love having pretty much everything included.

Please let me know how you enjoyed your cruise in April.. We sail the end of August on River Queen..Third cruise with Uniworld. Booked air with Uniworld great fare and I also had miles to pay for one ticket.. Past Uniworld clients get one free laundry a week .. A real bonus...enjoy... You will love it..

We board the River Queen April 21, 2017. We picked April as we want to see the tulips in Amsterdam before we leave. At the time we booked I did not realize that spring flooding could possible prevent our cruise from being able to sail the entire distance. Here's hoping that we don't need to stay in one position for several days and just travel by bus to various locations for other days.

We also arranged our own airfare on AA using miles (and $$$) just before I discovered that Uniworld was actually providing free air for various cruises. But, we will enjoy it anyway.

Too bad your TA, knowing that this is your first river cruise, didn't explain about the various situations that can affect a river cruise and didn't tell you about the dates offering free airfare. We had a TA like that and ended up having to handle a lot of details ourselves. Needless to say, she lost our business. Fortunately, there are many posters here that will offer help and answer your questions.

Calteacher, as you can see below, we have sailed with HAL and Regent, as well as Uniworld several times. I would say Uniworld is more equivalent to Regent than HAL, an almost all-inclusive, luxury experience. Bon voyage!

We went on 3 Uniworld cruises in a 10 month period and loved them all. Here are my reviews/comments:

Yes, we are arriving in Amsterdam the afternoon of April 18 and have a room booked near Schiphol as we think we will just take that afternoon/evening to get adjusted to the time change. Since we can cancel our room, we may decide closer to departure to try to get into Amsterdam in case we want to do some sightseeing yet that day However, the cost of the room for Amsterdam is more than twice what it is near Schiphol, so we will decide before we leave Chicago. If we are exhausted, trying to tourist activities may stretch us, so a relaxing evening in a hotel may be just what we need.

Then we will have 2 days in Amsterdam and have a tour scheduled for Keukenof Gardens Friday morning before boarding the River Queen. We are taking a few days after disembarking in Basel to rent a car and drive through the Black Forest and end up flying home from Zurich.

Thanks to all for your input. There are very few contributors who discuss Uniworld.

Cappricio, did you post pictures anywhere? Anyone else have pictures?

Yes, we are arriving in Amsterdam the afternoon of April 18 and have a room booked near Schiphol as we think we will just take that afternoon/evening to get adjusted to the time change. Since we can cancel our room, we may decide closer to departure to try to get into Amsterdam in case we want to do some sightseeing yet that day However, the cost of the room for Amsterdam is more than twice what it is near Schiphol, so we will decide before we leave Chicago. If we are exhausted, trying to tourist activities may stretch us, so a relaxing evening in a hotel may be just what we need.

Then we will have 2 days in Amsterdam and have a tour scheduled for Keukenof Gardens Friday morning before boarding the River Queen. We are taking a few days after disembarking in Basel to rent a car and drive through the Black Forest and end up flying home from Zurich.

Thanks to all for your input. There are very few contributors who discuss Uniworld.

Capriccio, did you post pictures anywhere? Anyone else have pictures?

Capriccio, did you post pictures anywhere? Anyone else have pictures?

Unfortunately no.

Given that you are in Amsterdam in April with lots of other tourists visiting Keukenhof I have two more recommendations for your couple of days in Amsterdam: if you want to visit the Anne Frank House get your timed tickets on line ASAP. If you are planning to visit the Rijksmuseum (one of the best museums in the world with the best audio guide we have ever experienced) and/or the Van Gogh Museum (spectacular art, mediocre audio guide) you can buy admission tickets on line.

Keukenhof was on my bucket list since I was in elementary school and saw a picture of the tulip beds. We were lucky enough to visit a couple of times when we lived in Germany and Belgium. Enjoy your cruise and I know you'll enjoy Keukenhof - it is jaw droppingly gorgeous!

Most of my ocean cruises have been on HAL, and I took my first river cruise on Uniworld last year at the suggestion of my TA. Absolutely loved it, and have another cruise booked on Uniworld for September of 2017. Relax and have a good time. You've made a good choice.

Roz

calteacher,

lavendereye was on the Uniworld River Queen a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. I do not know if she has posted anything in the review section.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480 post #57.

notamermaid

I have sailed on the River Queen twice in the past year, in April from Antwerp to Amsterdam and in September from Basel to Amsterdam. I think that it's a fine ship and Uniworld is my choice of river cruise lines. I certainly don't think that it would be a mistake to choose Uniworld for a river cruise.

I'll be happy to answer any particular question about the ship or the Legendary Rhine and Moselle cruise.

BTW, I am a he, not a she. My screen name is derived from the great explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye.

Edited by laverendrye