Help!!!! Need transport help and totally confused!

misseulalie

This is our first cruise out of the UK. We are departing from Southampton. This is where we are stuck...

We will arrive by Eurostar from Paris early in the morning and arriving to St. Pancras Station. How do we get to Southhampton?

I see there are private shuttles ($335 for the 5 of us!!! Too costly) and I know there are trains and public coach buses. I am confused where to start. What is the best and most cost effective way to get to Southampton from St. Pancras Station?

Can you provide links to websites that we can buy tickets in advance?

We are traveling with 3 kids, 2 teenagers and a 5 year old. So it needs to be kid friendly.

We are also concerned about time. We want to make sure we get to the ship by 2pm at the latest.

Thank you in advance!!

Hi

I haven't actually done this transfer myself but as no-one else has replied yet I'll try to help.

Here is a website I found that gives an overview of the options

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

The Traveline website http://www.traveline.info/ allows you to check out specific train times and other options such as coach or bus. But it doesn't give fares or allow you to book tickets. You might want to check out the number of transfers involved in each option (between trains/underground/coach/walking) as you may prefer to minimize those with, particularly, the five year old.

The Trainline https://www.thetrainline.com/ allows you to book train tickets. I'm not sure when you are traveling but tickets are only bookable about 6 months in advance (until the end of July at the moment). For coaches you will need to contact the relevant website - Traveline will give you the name of the company.

I hope this helps.

Beth

Edited by FirstCruiseBeth

Yes you may have to go with the more expensive option of either a private direct transfer, or a shared one if your cruise line offers one direct from St Pancras. For any alternatives you have to consider the time and effort of loading and unloading luggage for five between the different modes of transport--plus having in tow a 5 year old likely none too happy about how much more travel awaits even after the pre-dawn train journey. (Heck, I wouldn't have been too cooperative even as a teen).

Normally I would recommend the fast train from London Waterloo to Southampton Central. Takes 1 hour 20 minutes--half the time of by road--for about 38 GBP per person. Add a taxi before and after and it should be just under $300 but much faster than a shuttle. If time is less a factor there are "stopping" trains from both Waterloo and Victoria Stations; advance purchase tickets can be had for under 10 GBP, so easily under $100 before the taxi fares.

One other thing to consider: how early is "early"? Because if arriving before or during morning peak you may have to wait a couple hours at St Pancras for either a coach or train at the fare you wish to pay.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. It seems it may actually be cheaper (and maybe easier) to take a flight from Paris to London instead of the train. Faster, too. So maybe now I am looking at direct transport from Heathrow to SouthHampton.

This is more tricky than I anticipated. Yikes!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

May I suggest that you post your query in the Ports of Call section for the Britsh Isles here on Cruise Critic Forums, you will get some excellent help there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

As Ray66 says note the spelling of Southampton, it has only one 'H' in it, Southhampton is somewhere different in the world, and it will make Googling information for the right place a little easier.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

Yes you did, one problem is that some of the booking sites for National Rail, National Express coaches etc, only accept the correct spelling when trying to book a ticket.

I think that when American Cruise lines describe Southampton as a cruise port for London, it does not quite come across that it is a major port city in its own right, with all the facilities an Airport, Hospital, University, Shopping areas that you might expect for a place of that size.