Pesos or Dollars ?

Sailor1959

I understand lots of vendors and businesses accept U.S. dollars but at a slight disadvantage over using pesos.

With the recent drop in Peso vs Dollars ratio, would it now be advantageous to purchase pesos for a 7-day cruise ?

TIA

Just back from the Mexican Riviera. Paid USD in Cabo and at Walmart in PV (21-1 exchange)

Used pesos in the smaller cities-La Paz and Loreto.

The worst exchange rate was in a Cabo restaurant - (17-1). Meal was less than $20, we lost less than a dollar on the transaction.

Just back from the Mexican Riviera.

The worst exchange rate was in a Cabo restaurant - (17-1). Meal was less than $20, we lost less than a dollar on the transaction.

Howdy Sadie :)

In situations such as this, I take it out of the tip and explain it to the wait-staff. :D

It's the principle that bugs me.

In situations such as this, I take it out of the tip and explain it to the wait-staff. :D

I find your attitude (take it out on the lowest paid workers) interesting for somebody from the "Left" coast :). So if I came to your city, ate in a restaurant, and paid in Pesos or Yuan....should I "stiff" the waiter because the restaurant would refuse those currencies? In Mexico, many vendors are simply doing a favor for their customers by accepting foreign currency. If you do not like the exchange rate...simply pay in Pesos or use a credit card (if possible).

Shame on you :(. The UGLY American is certainly alive and well in CA.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I find your attitude (take it out on the lowest paid workers) interesting for somebody from the "Left" coast :). So if I came to your city, ate in a restaurant, and paid in Pesos or Yuan....should I "stiff" the waiter because the restaurant would refuse those currencies? In Mexico, many vendors are simply doing a favor for their customers by accepting foreign currency. If you do not like the exchange rate...simply pay in Pesos or use a credit card (if possible).

Shame on you :(. The UGLY American is certainly alive and well in CA.

Hank

Ohhh... you're in a good mood this morning, TSK, TSK !

Bringing up the area of the country I live in... REALLY ???

I'm guessing you're a water, huh ?

No shame in that... just don't take it out on anyone who has a different opinion.

BTW:

Unsolicited advice and a dollar, will buy you a dollar candy bar.

Edited by Sailor1959

Since the Peso is the mexican currency, accepting US$ is a favour of the restaurant or vender. So if you donot agree with the exchange rate bring Pesos! (and still give a tip to the staff)

It's not the wait staff's fault. They still did their job.

For the sake of a couple of bucks, you take away their tip? Sad.

.....ask beforehand what the exchange rate is. The US80c that we lost wasn't a deal breaker for us.

Of course you are right. I donot understand however if persons spending (some of them a lot) money on a cruise can make trouble re the exchange rate. In general it is peanuts on their total budget. Why let a staffmember suffer for that by not giving a tip. Salaries in Mexico are still very low.