Passport for toddler?

kbset

Does a toddler need a passport for a cruise to the Caribbean? She's 2 1/2. We were told that her birth certificate would be sufficient enough, but now some family members of ours are telling us different. Just wanted to double check.

I believe that if both parents are travelling and its a closed loop cruise then your BC will be fine (obviously you are aware that in the case of an emergency you could not fly home). However, if only one parent is travelling, then I believe a passport is required.

Does a toddler need a passport for a cruise to the Caribbean? She's 2 1/2. We were told that her birth certificate would be sufficient enough, but now some family members of ours are telling us different. Just wanted to double check.

On a closed loop cruise to Caribbean all you need for US born toddler as well as for any child to age 16 born in US is official birth certificate, not hospital copy.

For US citizens over 16 a govt issued photo id plus official birth certificate is needed. No US citizen needs passport on Caribbean closed loop cruises unless the cruise line demands one and most of mass market cruise lines don't.

I believe that if both parents are travelling and its a closed loop cruise then your BC will be fine (obviously you are aware that in the case of an emergency you could not fly home). However, if only one parent is travelling, then I believe a passport is required.

Actually a notarized statement from other parent is needed, not passport.

I knew I'd read it somewhere. From the Princess FAQs:

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

All of this also depends on your comfort level.

We will be cruising with a 21 month old in a few months and I wanted her to have her own passport. Part of the reason is that we'll be departing from Vancouver, BC (driving to port) and it is just easier to have a passport for everyone as we drive through the border and then when we get to the pier and check in. The passport is also universal photo identification, so it isn't questioned no matter where you go or what mode of travel you are dealing with. A passport book is also more convenient to carry around than a letter sized, government issued, birth certification (at least WA birth certificates are issued on letter sized paper).

You might want to call Princess and determine what they require for your specific sailing.

Edited by jeromep

I know it was mentioned previously in passing, but use caution if travelling without a passport. While it may not be needed for the closed loop cruise, if something unexpected happened (injury, illness, ship mechanical, weather, etc) that forced you to have to FLY to or from the US, you'd need a passport to do so. Remember the "Be Prepared" BS motto (Boy Scout, not Bull S**t :eek:, even though both could actually apply here :D).

Thank you :) Next cruise we will definitely get a passport for her!

Definitely. You never know what might happen when you are in a foreign country. We got all the kids passports when they were infants. They deed to be renewed every five years because those little baby pictures change!

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

That is a Princess rule not the same for most lines.

Thank you :) Next cruise we will definitely get a passport for her!

Just for reference, it only took 2 weeks for us to get a passport for our daughter. We went to the county auditor to apply, and it appears that the passport office in Seattle was responsible for issuing it. For comparison purposes, I did a by-mail renewal of my passport which was about a year out from expiring and that goes through Philadelphia. It took nearly 6 weeks to receive my new passport.

So if you have enough time, between now and your cruise, it may be possible to get a passport for your child. I have this suspicion that new passport issuance go through the closest passport office and mail-in renewals are all done by the "central office" in Philadelphia. It seemed to me that Philadelphia was overwhelmed with work.

Also consider that there are a lot of passport renewals going on right now because the laws that required passport level identification to pass between the U.S. and Canada and Mexico went into effect about 10 years ago, so a lot of the passports issued then to cover folks that hadn't needed one before are now expiring.

Of course, most of the previous posters have once again forgotten that cruise lines have their own passport requirements, which may be far more restrictive than the governments of port locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, most of the previous posters have once again forgotten that cruise lines have their own passport requirements, which may be far more restrictive than the governments of port locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And yet the mods don't seem to care because they move these threads here from the cruise line forum where the question originated.

• 2 weeks later...
Flights no but cruise yes. ON all of our cruises on many lines they have always asked for our passport or birth certificates.

Very odd. Who did you sail on?

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess. They checked mine and my husbands passport but never asked for any kind of documentation for our daughter...I thought it was strange too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess. They checked mine and my husbands passport but never asked for any kind of documentation for our daughter...I thought it was strange too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It is Customs/Immigration that really care although I've always been asked for ID for our kids - and the letter.

It is Customs/Immigration that really care although I've always been asked for ID for our kids - and the letter.

They never asked for it at customs either....maybe because both my husband and I had passports? I have no idea. Either way, we are going to get her a passport for any future cruises :D