Whale watching in the Azores

njc519

Has anyone done a private whale watching tour in the Azores? I've heard it's a great place for whale watching!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi NJC,

There are 9 islands that make up the Azorean Archipelago. Which one are you stopping at or visiting?

I've done a couple of whale tours there, but you need to narrow thing down to a specific island.

Cheers!

HTP

Our port of call will be Ponta Delgado from roughly 9am-6pm

Hi NJC,

I've done whale tours on the islands of Faial and Pico but on Sao Muguel (Ponta Delgado) I rented a car and did a tour of the island.

I did a quick search and if you google "ponta delgada whale watching" you will see a number of firms listed that seem to have 4.5 - 5 stars on TripAdvisor. A few minutes looking at their reviews should help you decide.

The Azores are beautiful. Enjoy!

HTP

Thanks, HTP! How did you find the tours from other islands? We will be visiting at the end of March - I hope this is a good time to see whales and that the seas won't be too rough!

NJC,

I was on a land vacation on the other islands and saw the tour operators themselves. I don't know much about whale migratory patterns, but I can tell you the Azores will possibly be cold (45-50F) and wet at that time of year. Bring waterproof gear if you plan to go out on the water.

Learn a few words of Portuguese, at least Good day / afternoon - Bom dia / boa tarde, thank you - obrigado, you're welcome - de nada, etc. They will really appreciate it, however in tourist areas there should be English speakers.

Cheers!