How is barginning looked at in Mexico?

Taishartrueblood

Let me give you the example that will apply to me :p

I am going to do the AMAZING SECRET RIVER tour in Cozumel and they charge $80 for the photos. If I offered them $50, would that be an insulting thing to do or would they rather have money in the hand as opposed to no money? My main concern is for cultural sensitivity but I also would rather pay less and then tip the guides more.

When I went to Mexico like 2 years ago I literally bargained down everything somethings they won't move on and some they will. But you would have to be ready to walk away with out it because most of the time when I walked away they would budge at the price I wanted to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Zihuatanejo a few years ago and my DH saw a hat (baseball cap) he wanted. It was $8, DH offered $5, the guy would not budge so we walked away.

A little ways down the street at another shop, the same hat was $5 so DH bought it for that because that's what he was willing to pay in the first place.

Most of the time you can bargain and it's fun but sometimes, they won't come down in price at all.

Thanks, you guys answered it! Basically, it is not considered rude for me to try to bargain with someone in Mexico although they may or may not move on the price. That is similar to my experiences in S. America but I was unsure how the Mexican culture would take such actions.

Thanks!

Thanks, you guys answered it! Basically, it is not considered rude for me to try to bargain with someone in Mexico although they may or may not move on the price. That is similar to my experiences in S. America but I was unsure how the Mexican culture would take such actions.

Thanks!

We spend all of our winters here in Puerto Vallarta. We have a balcony looking out on a beach and see the vendors walking up and down the beach with heavy loads on their backs (the items they are selling). They are walking on the hot sand all day carrying all of their stuff and people think they enjoy bargaining with the tourists!! I don't think they enjoy the bargaining too much. They work so hard for the small amount of money they earn.

I don't bargain too hard with them because they certainly earn their money. I can afford to pay a few pesos more and I feel good rather than celebrating that I got them down in price.

This is just my two pesos worth. Please don't flame me for my opinion.

Wendy

Yes, you can definitely bargain. In my case it depends who I am dealing with. If I am buying an expensive piece of jewelry or art then the gloves are off. I even bargain on the ship and try to get the best deal I can or walk away.

Now if I am buying a $10 dress or trinket from some poor vendor then no. We are blessed and few $$ is not going to break the bank while they could mean a family might eat that day. Please don't make this a political or other type of discussion. This is what I do and all to his own.

Since you are on a tour and the photo package is associated with the tour, that is not the time to bargain. They most likely will first look shocked and then laugh at you.

Bargain with vendors, not in established stores (other than Diamonds International). I've been traveling in Mexico for more than 50 years and also live there part-time. Many times I won't bargain if something is very inexpensive, but many vendors just love to barter, it's part of their fun and culture.

Edited by Laurie S.

Incorrect Laurie, the photo package is not associated with the ship, it is done by the Rio Secreto people directly.

Maybe you'll get a better reply if you post your question about a tour in Cozumel over on the correct board for Cozumel. This board is for western Mexico.

Why do you think I shouldn't bargain with them? They are local venders, essentially, and it is apparently not against Mexican culture.

Because they are not street vendors. You do not bargain in Mexico with established stores (i.e., businesses with storefronts). It is not Mexican culture to bargain with those businesses.