extra costs onboard

Susanr50

We just came off the NCL Breakaway. I was disappointed in extra costs, that I have not experienced on other companies (HAL, Cunard mostly recently).

Lobster on Breakaway was extra cost, backstage and kitchen tours and most room service for example. There was no free drink reception unless you were Lattitude member of a certain level. I was a higher level than my husband, he was not invited to the reception with the captain and officers. Anyone know of which ships include more of these?

Edited by Susanr50

I don't quite understand your complaint. If you are a high level Latitude member you should be familiar with the charges on NCL that are not included in the fare. Or are you saying that on the Breakaway there are charges for these things while other NCL ships include them in the fare? You will probably find a more direct answer in the NCL forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Really tough to compare NCL and Cunard: Cunard is fairly unique among non-AI lines in having one Captain's Cocktail Party open to all guests, even first timers in Britannia staterooms. Plus an additional one for World Club members on their third or subsequent cruise, plus one or more additional for high-level Club members. Never seen nearly that much free booze on other mainstream lines, other than the one RCI cruise where at the end of the C&A gathering all the trays of drinks were left out for anyone who wanted to grab one (or a few) to go.

But if you are put off by upcharge items on the MDR menus (and items with a charge above and beyond the cover in specialty restaurants) then you will need to avoid Royal Caribbean. And on Celebrity the activities you mentioned are often restricted to high level returnees as well--as is Afternoon Tea on most sea days.

NCL is pretty much the only line that has no free room service other than continental breakfast, and a charge for some of the audience participation game-style shows. Pretty much all of the Carnival Corp-owned lines have unlimited free room service (though you may find "trials" of for-fee items on some ships) and no charge for any of the traditional entertainment and activities.

Edited by fishywood

There is upsell on probably most of the main stream cruiselines...However that doesn't mean you have to partake. We cruise (20+) exclusively with RCI and rarely is there any balance due at the end of my cruise's. If you're an upper tier cruiser...why doesn't you DH have that same level...regardless of the number of times he's cruised ?

The fee charges for the things like room service, bottled water, ice cream, etc, seems to be part of your own choice. The least expensive cruise lines charge for several (or many) of these things. As you move to more expensive lines, there are fewer fees. But, of course, those fees are now built into the cruise fare itself. There are cruise lines where EVERYTHING seems to be included, from excursions to alcohol to airfare. But, most cruisers cannot afford these lines.

My goal has been to find the right choice FOR ME--where I do not have to constantly hand over my cruise card but I am not paying for those things I do not use. I have found the perfect cruise line for my needs. With some research and good luck, you can find one, too!

I have only cruised once but have already found I will have to pay for things on NCL that were included on RCI. Not thrilled but this is still the itinerary I wanted and by knowing ahead of time which items incur extra cost I can either avoid them or decide they are worth the charge.

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Forums mobile app

I have only cruised once but have already found I will have to pay for things on NCL that were included on RCI. Not thrilled but this is still the itinerary I wanted and by knowing ahead of time which items incur extra cost I can either avoid them or decide they are worth the charge.

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Forums mobile app

You do pay for them on RCI with a higher overall cruise cost.

I can sail similar itineraries with the two lines but the RCI price will inevitably be more up front. Perhaps it does include things like a free tour, or room service or lobster but I don't want any of those things. They may be very important to you. On NCL I get a lower up front cost & the ability to decide if I want to pay more to buy those things.

Different strokes.

We just came off the NCL Breakaway. I was disappointed in extra costs, that I have not experienced on other companies (HAL, Cunard mostly recently).

Lobster on Breakaway was extra cost, backstage and kitchen tours and most room service for example. There was no free drink reception unless you were Lattitude member of a certain level. I was a higher level than my husband, he was not invited to the reception with the captain and officers. Anyone know of which ships include more of these?

1: lobster is a surcharge on Royal except for the second formal night when it is the tail only.

2: most tours are also a surcharge, the 'free' ones are EXTREMELY short and basic, like under an hour.

3: even Royal charges for RS between midnight and 6 am, although I understand lots of complaints about NCLs 24 hour surcharge for it.

4: 'free drink' receptions? really? even the Captain's night is not al that special on Royal.

5: Royal allows you to link family members residing in the same household so that everyone receives the same status ( bit not the same number of points unless actually sailed/earned).

more and more the business model is a very low base price and you pick and choose what you want to spend additional money on. its what the next generation of cruisers want.