Spa etiquette in the thermal suites (a question)

BoiseIdahoSpud

Cuurious to hear opinions on these issues...

Has anyone else had their thermal suite experience intruded upon by people using the space to socialize? I've experienced many times where several people will use the thermal chairs, steam room, or sauna and talk (and talk and talk). Do they not see the 'quiet please' sign on the door?

So my first question is... Am I alone in thinking that the thermal suite is a place for meditation and deep relaxation where silence should be honored? And if you've had the same experience how have you approached spa talkers? There are soooo many other places on a ship to talk and socialize (bars, pool decks, lido, cafe) can't this be one place for silence? We go on cruises to disconnect from the grind and relax (deeply) so this space is important to us.

My second question is... Do people not understand that the thermal suite (for many) is meant to be done on a cycle? Thermal chairs, then sauna, then steam room, then shower, and repeat. You shouldn't 'save' a thermal chair while you are in the steam room or sauna because that's when another person needs to be using it. Then in 20 minutes or so you trade. This is especially important on busy days.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions!

I agree with both your points. Unfortunately, "common courtesy" isn't so common these days, as that is what you're saying comes down to.

I experienced the loud and boisterous once. Fortunately, it was over quickly, as the hyper people moved on to another part of the spa. Had it continued as a problem, I would have asked the person in charge to put a stop to it.

Again, the saving of loungers is just an extension of the "chair hog" mentality. It hasn't happened to me yet, but should it happen I have no problem with removing things that have been "left behind". :rolleyes:

I cared less about the chatter in the hydro pool than on the loungers where on my first afternoon visit there must've been half a dozen folks travelling together that talked though mercifully fairly quietly. An evening visit the same saw found a wealth of peace & quiet.

MHO is like a voluntary dress code there will always be those who think the posted gentle reminders and suggestions of others don't apply to them and short of having a glowering staff member standing nearby there's little that can be done without starting a confrontation yourself.

I agree with both your points. Unfortunately, "common courtesy" isn't so common these days, as that is what you're saying comes down to.

I experienced the loud and boisterous once. Fortunately, it was over quickly, as the hyper people moved on to another part of the spa. Had it continued as a problem, I would have asked the person in charge to put a stop to it.

Again, the saving of loungers is just an extension of the "chair hog" mentality. It hasn't happened to me yet, but should it happen I have no problem with removing things that have been "left behind". :rolleyes:

I could have written this myself! Ours is an increasingly loud environment. Aside from my home, there's almost nowhere I can go to "hear silence" (I LIKE solitude, which implies an absence of all things noisy). The thermal suite was a quiet, relaxing place on my last cruise (only time I've used it) and I was glad of that! Like you, Ruth, I would ask the person in charge to handle the situation if it were not. And again like you, I would remove things from a lounger not in use by a person in order to use it.

Unfortunately the Green House Spa crew do not always help the situation. On one of my last HAL cruises I had purchased the pass for the full cruise (2 weeks Panama Canal Statendam) This particular cruise did not have a lot of people purchasing the Thermal Suite so the Steiner people were trying like crazy to sell the Thermal Suite packages. The first two days that I spend in the Thermal Suite they brought in at least 3 tours each day of people while I was there. Now here I am relaxing in quiet in my bathing suit now granted men and women can use the Thermal Suite but some how it does not seem so intrusive when others are also in swim wear but when people come in wearing street clothes and they are explaining everything loudly it become rather disruptive and embarressing.

I prefer to read in quiet in the Thermal Suite so I am often not one to be talking but I admit I do enjoy talking to fellow passengers in the Hydrotherapy pool area (it is already noisy from the jets of the hydropool). Only once did someone ask me not to talk and it actually did not bother me. So my opinion is if you find someone talking loudly or disruptive just nicely say that you would like to have it quiet.

OP has some control issues

Hmmm.........wanting adherance to a posted sign for quiet and relaxation = control issues?!?!?!?

On one occasion I encountered 2 gentlemen (and I am using that term loosely) speaking quite loudly and jovially in the Thermal Suite. I spoke up and very respectfully informed them that the Thermal Suite was intended to have a tranquil atmosphere and asked that they discontinue their loud conversation. One man replied they were not aware of this, apologized and we all enjoyed our peace and quiet.

The thermal spas are a great place to meditate. It is hard to do so when others are having conversations. I agree, there are so many other areas of the ship for socializing. I guess with people talking on cell phones in public for all to hear :(, manners, common courtesy, and a respect for others (quiet) space are becoming a thing of the past. As a result, I tend to go during less populated times.

I see no reason not to talk in the hydropool, but I certainly wouldn't be boisterous or be chatting around other people. The thermal chair area, however, is different. I've only had one incident when two older women were sewing-circle chatting away and it was very disturbing to the normal tranquil atmosphere in there.

I don't agree with chair saving, either, and never have seen it happen in a thermal suite. Maybe I've simply been lucky. I also don't agree with the statement that you use the facilities in a cyclic manner. I hate saunas and steam rooms and only use the hydropool and thermal loungers. I prefer the pool first and then the loungers, personally. If the loungers were all occupied after getting out of the pool (never has happened yet), I simply would go back in the pool.

Hmmm.........wanting adherance to a posted sign for quiet and relaxation = control issues?!?!?!?

On one occasion I encountered 2 gentlemen (and I am using that term loosely) speaking quite loudly and jovially in the Thermal Suite. I spoke up and very respectfully informed them that the Thermal Suite was intended to have a tranquil atmosphere and asked that they discontinue their loud conversation. One man replied they were not aware of this, apologized and we all enjoyed our peace and quiet.

No.. Instructing passengers how they're supposed to use the spa area "In A Cycle" is another control issue.

It's in the original post...it just takes a little reading

No.. Instructing passengers how they're supposed to use the spa area "In A Cycle" is another control issue.

It's in the original post...it just takes a little reading

As the OP, I was not clear in my original post. I've been in therapy for my control issues for many years now and I'm getting better but still have a long way to go...so please be patient with me, fellow cc'ers.

I use the spa in cycle... But my real point was people shouldn't 'save' thermal chairs if they go to different area of the spa. This is particularly important on busy days. Like Ruth, I just put their 'saving' items on the floor and use the chair. Had a lady get in my face about it once and I just said they can't be reserved while you're using a another amenity. There are only six thermal chairs and lots of folks have paid to use them. Simple courtesy. I think there is also a sign that states a 20 minute limit in the chairs which I try to respect unless the place is empty then it's free reign.

The worst thermal suite distraction I can remember was the snoring from one very relaxed gentleman on a thermal lounger. What's the etiquette here? You hate to spoil his fun, but..........

I agree about the talking in the Thermal Suite...this is a quiet area. As far as snoring...good for that person (because I know I've done it before :o). If you are able to relax enough in there that you've gone asleep, then I guess the room has done it's magic on you.

Regarding the hydropool, I often see people talking in there...including myself. In fact, I can't say that I've ever heard this area as quiet, however I can't say that I've heard it "loud" in there either.

I've been very fortunate that I've never run into chair hogs in the Thermal Suite, but if I did I would not have a problem removing items from an unused chair. If you aren't using it then you don't have a right to save it...I've paid just as much as you to use it and intend to.

:) :)

I agree that the thermal spa is a place to relax in a peaceful surroundings.

I make a point to often go in the late afternoon (after 4 p.m.) where often I'm the only person in the area and not have to worry.

The few times when others are in their when I arrive, I will smile and nod, and go about my own way. I often have a book or bring my ipod.

I agree with the hogging of the thermal chairs if there are quite a few people using the area.

But like someone else stated, these days alot of people are in the "me" mode and forget everyone else.

The worst thermal suite distraction I can remember was the snoring from one very relaxed gentleman on a thermal lounger. What's the etiquette here? You hate to spoil his fun, but..........

I have never fallen into deep sleep in the thermal chairs... But as a person with severe snoring problems, I can say PLEASE 100% wake me up and tell me i'm snoring. I would hate to later learn that I had diminished someone else's experience. Most problem snorers won't mind you letting them know their roaring is impinging on your solitude.

...there I go with my control issues again...will I ever learn?

In general most passenger's abide by proper etiquette in the thermal spa. Here's two things that have happened to me that I thought that would share.

1. I enter the thermal suite whirlpool, the lady there informs me that the rules say that I must shower before entering. I turn to her and say, you are totally right but I think it's too late now. She and I spa quietly for about 5 minutes and then we introduce ourselves. Nice conversation and low and behold we become good cruising friends!

2. On November 2010 cruise the thermal suite was sometimes quite busy. The left over towels would remain on the thermal lounger's, so I would pick them up and carry them to the dirty towel station and continue on. I felt that the spa crew should have been doing this, but hey, who was I to interupt their social time... One day I go in and all the lounger's are being used but I go ahead and get in the whirlpool. I see that one lounger in not being used by a person, only by a person who feels that it's okay to use it as her table. I got my towel's and went to that lounger and asked if the lounger was indeed in use by a person. Why no she explained. She was a book critic and she was writing a review and was using the lounger as a place to see the book as she wrote. I said, that's great~handed her her stuff and proceeded to get comfortable myself. About 2 minutes later she HUFFED and left. Too bad dear...

One day I go in and all the lounger's are being used but I go ahead and get in the whirlpool. I see that one lounger in not being used by a person, only by a person who feels that it's okay to use it as her table. I got my towel's and went to that lounger and asked if the lounger was indeed in use by a person. Why no she explained. She was a book critic and she was writing a review and was using the lounger as a place to see the book as she wrote. I said, that's great~handed her her stuff and proceeded to get comfortable myself. About 2 minutes later she HUFFED and left. Too bad dear...

Sounds like something I would do. I'm forever embarrassing my wife;).

One day I go in and all the lounger's are being used but I go ahead and get in the whirlpool. I see that one lounger in not being used by a person, only by a person who feels that it's okay to use it as her table. I got my towel's and went to that lounger and asked if the lounger was indeed in use by a person. Why no she explained. She was a book critic and she was writing a review and was using the lounger as a place to see the book as she wrote. I said, that's great~handed her her stuff and proceeded to get comfortable myself. About 2 minutes later she HUFFED and left. Too bad dear...

Sounds like something I would do. I'm forever embarrassing my wife;).

:rolleyes: That's why there is a library and computer room to use not to mention her own desk in the cabin.

• 4 weeks later...

I apologize. I feel asleep once on Brilliance of the seas.

Loved reading about experiences in the thermal suite. That's where I go for the quiet.:) Question about pre-purchasing the spa package. Is it better to wait until onboard before purchasing since it sounds like they were anxious to sell thermal suite packages? Will be sailing on Rotterdam for the first time. Are the suites basically the same on all HAL ships?

Loved reading about experiences in the thermal suite. That's where I go for the quiet.:) Question about pre-purchasing the spa package. Is it better to wait until onboard before purchasing since it sounds like they were anxious to sell thermal suite packages? Will be sailing on Rotterdam for the first time. Are the suites basically the same on all HAL ships?

We purchased ours ahead once and found out once on the ship that it was selling for about $150 cheaper than we had paid for a couple. It was no problem at all. They reimbursed the difference to our onboard account.

Not quite sure for all ships but I do know the Veendam does not have a large hydro pool in a separate room. It is basically a four-person hottub in the same room as the beds. I know all the Vista ships and both Signature ships have the hydro pool.

The thermal suite on Volendam and Zaandam is one large room with the small hydropool in one corner, 5 heated tile loungers and with the cool mist room and the steam room (space for about 4 people) opening off it. There are two shower spaces, no aromatherapy. The sauna is in a separate area of the Greenhouse Spa. Prinsendam is a similar set-up, IIRC.

I've not had the opportunity to use the thermal suite on one of the larger ships, nor on any of the S class ships.

Uh-Oh...

...I travel w/ "Thermal Suite Talkers".

:eek: :o

Tho IMO, that isnt' the worst thing:

The worst is when someone's in there stark naked!

(and it's usually someone you wouldn't want to see that way)

:cool:

Thanks for the information about pre-purchasing. Will do it before sailing and just see if they are offering discounts on board.

I usually go late in the afternoon (the talkers are usually gone by then - maybe they're at happy hour).:) Never seen anyone naked, tho'!!

Not a thermal suite talker!!

Archived