Staying the night before embarkation

zib_zib

Traveling to Southampton from the north, in February, do we travel down or stay overnight.

Always travelled down to Southampton on the day of the cruise. But the weather could be bad at that time of year.

So I've look at a few hotels on the Webb, as anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn.

At least we can get a hearty breakfast and watch the ship come in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by zib_zib

We tend to stay the evening before.

If coming by car I would recommend the package offered by De Ver Venues at New Place, although it's a few mikes outside the City. You leave your car there and they provide (and pay for) a taxi to take you in and collect you. We also had a very good Dinner there.

If you are travelling down by train I would recommend one of three hotels just across the road from the Station - the Novotel, Ibis or Ibis Budget. Although separate buildings they all share the same campus and you don't need a taxi to reach them from the station.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn by the docks a few times on IHG loyalty points. We have also payed their "per night price" for parking at times, booked by just speaking to reception on the phone, and we have found that very good value, compared to their park and stay rates. A couple of docking locations are walkable as well (esp gate 101).

We like the hotel and have been able to get rooms with a really good view over the docks. The only audible sound was when the ship berthed near by used it's PA for disembarkation - it was our ship though! We have sometimes had breakfast, but never had other meals as there are many better value options within a short walking distance, and there are also convenience stores nearby in the town which are handy to supply breakfast foods/pasta salads etc., which can then be eaten using the coffee table and chairs in the room, whilst taking in the views. I think one local store is a Co op so you could search for that for location.

We are staying in Southampton this November, but will be going down market into the Travelodge Southampton Central, as we are low on IHG points and The Holiday Inn is pricy, compared to the very low advance price for the Travelodge. It looks basic but OK and we do not need parking this time. We have realised that once we check out at midday we will have nowhere to leave the luggage though as Travelodges do not store it after check out.

There are lots of hotel options, including out of town ones that offer transfers. We always check reviews and look at the location on Google Earth before booking and have always done well. We would never consider the hassle of travelling down on the day. We use the Baggage Handling Company to transport one of our cases if travelling by train.

Edited by tring

Thanks Tring

I've booked the Holiday Inn (inc breakfast). Not the cheapest, but reasonable and you do get a view of the Solent or the ships

(Just checked and there's no ships in on that day and only ours on the day of the cruise)

We had already booked the ABP car parking for our cruise. Which was half the price of P&O's CPS. So really the money saved on the car parking as paid for the accommodation

It will make a change to have a look around Southampton, only been to the shopping mall on a back to back

Ask for a high floor for a better view and the end of the hotel away from the road to make sure you do not hear any traffic noise. They charge extra for the higher floors, (above floor 5, I think), but we have been able to get the 5th floor, quite near to the waterside end of the hotel and the views were good - it is surprising how pretty a dock area can be when it is dark. Viewing on Google Earth will make clear why I suggest those requests.

If there is only one ship in, I suspect the hotel will be fairly quiet, so requests should be honored.

Enjoy.

Edited by tring