Boarding denied stories

10Jan54

Seriously? Does other peoples problems do something for you?

Something might be learned on a thread like this. People are always asking about proper documentation, being too drunk to board (I've seen this at Port Canaveral) and might even discourage people from trying to sneak illegal drugs onboard (I've also seen this).

I haven't seen anyone denied boarding but there has been a few that should have. It always amazes me how many people talk about how sick they were at the beginning of their cruise and lie about it on the questionnaire. I've seen people visibly sick checking in and no one stops them. It's like the plague. Within days they've spread it through the ship. Someone was just talking on another thread about how sick their whole family was at embarkation but they didn't let it ruin they're whole cruise. I bet it ruined a few others cruise.

As an OB nurse I've seen several pregnant women who looked close to term. I know women carry differently but there is no way they were less than 24 weeks. I don't understand why anyone would take the chance of something going wrong at sea. There was a story last year about a 32 week baby being born on a ship and the women couldn't understand why they didn't have Neonatal resuscitation equipment on board.

We saw a couple in Fort Lauderdale denied. They had been at the beach for a couple hours before boarding. Then sitting in that hot terminal. The wife said she didn't drink any water all day. Ft Lauderdale in May!!! She was woozy & looked sick. She drank some water & looked better but ship wasn't taking the chance. They had come from UK & were denied.

Learned a lesson, hydrate, hydrate & hydrate!!!!

Missing the check in cut off time will result in being denied boarding. From my balcony, about an hour after cut off, I saw a taxi pull up to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. The passenger had bags tagged for the ship. He went inside and a few minutes later came back out with his bags. Evidently check in had closed and all of the agents had gone home. The ship's next port? Southampton and not the village by that name on Long Island.

The moral of the story for newbies? Check in time is non-negotiable!

Seriously? Does other peoples problems do something for you?

Thank you first to those that responded with reasons one could be denied. To Micahs Grandad we are traveling with a bunch of people and there happens to be a couple who refuses to except that ID documentation has changed since she first cruised 14 years ago. I don't care to have to leave them behind as we sail away. Thanks everyone!

Thank you first to those that responded with reasons one could be denied. To Micahs Grandad we are traveling with a bunch of people and there happens to be a couple who refuses to except that ID documentation has changed since she first cruised 14 years ago. I don't care to have to leave them behind as we sail away. Thanks everyone!

Then they need to contact the cruise line to determine exactly what is currently required for your itinerary. If it is a closed loop US based itinerary (beginning and ending in the same US port) then the typical ID required is a valid picture ID and a birth certificate -or- a Passport. But without proper valid ID they will be denied boarding and there will be no refund.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

we are traveling with a bunch of people and there happens to be a couple who refuses to except (sic) that ID documentation has changed since she first cruised 14 years ago. I don't care to have to leave them behind as we sail away. Thanks everyone!

You would be getting better responses if you would have specified in the opening post that the issue at hand is insufficient ID. That said, unless you are able to be still more specific as to what ID the couple has (and what they don't have) the best advice will be to prepare yourself to say "I told you so" and wave to them standing at the dock while the ship sails away. Whether or not you are the de facto "leader" of the bunch you are travelling with, it is not your responsibility beyond a single reminder to them that it is mandatory to have the proof of citizenship specified in the cruise documents else their boarding is in doubt.

Encourage the couple to visit your cruise line's website and look at the documentation requirements. If they don't have the correct ID, they will be denied, plain and simple...whether they accept it our not.

We have, twice, seen folks denied boarding because their Birth Certificates did not meet with the requirements (whatever that means). In one of those cases the situation was quite sad as a family of 4 lost out on their Caribbean cruise because one of the children did not have a valid Birth Certificate.

This is just one more reason why having a valid Passport is a good idea.

Hank

We have, twice, seen folks denied boarding because their Birth Certificates did not meet with the requirements (whatever that means).

They could have presented a Certificate Of Live Birth issued by a hospital and that would not have met the the requirements of government issued BC.

They could have presented a Certificate Of Live Birth issued by a hospital and that would not have met the the requirements of government issued BC.

Personally, we have no clue. There is no way we would ever leave the USA without our valid Passports. Its an old habit based on nearly fifty years of extensive International Travel.

Hank

If they miss the cruise because they are just being stubborn - serves them right. They deserve it. Maybe they will learn from their experience although I doubt it.

It isn't your responsibility to ensure that they have the proper documentation. It is theirs.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The birth certificate must be government certified copy (in U.S., its from the county in which your born).

You might also want to mention to this couple that travel insurance doesn't cover failure to have the required travel documentation. That is considered entirely within the passenger's control. They will be left at the pier and will lose 100% of their fare. That, plus any air ticket change fees because they will now be flying home a lot sooner than expected.

I have not personally seen people being denied boarding on a cruise ship, but have several times seen people being turned away from check-in at airports because of lack of acceptable ID -

Once at LGA I heard a couple desperately (and unsuccessfully) pleading with the desk agent because they were flying to Miami for a cruise --- maybe they were able to get home, find ID, get back to airport, get a flight, and still make their cruise - but I would not bet on it.

I have not personally seen people being denied boarding on a cruise ship, but have several times seen people being turned away from check-in at airports because of lack of acceptable ID -

Once at LGA I heard a couple desperately (and unsuccessfully) pleading with the desk agent because they were flying to Miami for a cruise --- maybe they were able to get home, find ID, get back to airport, get a flight, and still make their cruise - but I would not bet on it.

That's odd, because you still can be allowed to fly:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

That's odd, because you still can be allowed to fly:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Maybe yes, maybe no. It is up to the discretion of the airline (they also require ID) and TSA. If the airline refused to check you in because you have no ID...you will not even get to TSA.

Hank