First time cruise with kids: Western or Eastern Caribbeans

FamilyWithKids2

Two adults (40+) and 2 kids (ages 13 and 8) - first time cruise!

We are debating between two options:

1. Oasis of the Seas to Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Marteen)

2. Harmony pf the Seas to Western Caribbean (Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, Cozumel).

The cruise is planned for mid-June, as a vacation, after 3 weeks trip in USA.

The 13 years old boy likes adventure (like parasailing). The younger girl is afraid from deep-water snorkeling (e.g. catamaran sail with snorkeling is out of the question), and we all love beautiful white-sand beaches and turquoise water). We would love to have swim with dolphins extrusion in one of the ports (Cozumel / Nassau probably) – one that allows swim with dolphin for the older boy, and shallow-water encounter with dolphins – for the younger girl.

The Eastern appears more scenic view and nicer beaches (is it?), but will it be boring for the kids? Where will we get nicer weather in mid-June?

Which one to choose?

You might get more response on the Royal Caribbean board, seeing as the Oasis and Harmony are both RC ships.

Harmony is the newest ship, with water slides; however, both are great ships with lots of activities and entertainment.

The western itinerary includes a stop in Labadee, Haiti, which is a private area of beach run by RC. Food and drink are provided there - all by RC. You are not really visiting Haiti and cannot leave the area; not sure if you knew that. It is a very relaxing beach day. There are some local vendors and water activities, zip line, etc.

I think the Eastern itinerary has better beaches with St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Weather in the Caribbean is beautiful year round - hot and sunny - temperature doesn't really change that much, other than probably hotter and more humid in June, July and August.

I know you can do SWIM with the dolphins in Nassau. I think standing on a platform an just petting the dolphin as they swim by is a waist of $$$. But, actually swimming with them is not!

My grandson's other grandmother took him to Atlantis, in Nassau, when he was about 5 or 6. He fed the dolphins. I have a picture of him tossing a fish to an open mouth dolphin. He is standing in shoulder deep water.

In St. Maartin you can go to Maho Beach. This is a beach at the very end of the airport runway. Planes fly right over your heads.

Google swim with dolphins at Atlantis and Maho beach and find out more.

Don't know what to suggest in St. Thomas. Maybe Blackbeard's castle- check what to do in ports here on cc.

Harmony of the Seas is the newest ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet. So if you want to experience the excitement of a brand new ship with even more bells and whistles, then Harmony should be your choice.

If your children like thrill rides, Harmony has two enormous slides and a water slide as well.

Itinerary wise I like the Oasis route better.

Jonathan

Two adults (40+) and 2 kids (ages 13 and 8) - first time cruise!

We are debating between two options:

1. Oasis of the Seas to Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Marteen)

2. Harmony pf the Seas to Western Caribbean (Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, Cozumel).

The cruise is planned for mid-June, as a vacation, after 3 weeks trip in USA.

The 13 years old boy likes adventure (like parasailing). The younger girl is afraid from deep-water snorkeling (e.g. catamaran sail with snorkeling is out of the question), and we all love beautiful white-sand beaches and turquoise water). We would love to have swim with dolphins extrusion in one of the ports (Cozumel / Nassau probably) – one that allows swim with dolphin for the older boy, and shallow-water encounter with dolphins – for the younger girl.

The Eastern appears more scenic view and nicer beaches (is it?), but will it be boring for the kids? Where will we get nicer weather in mid-June?

Which one to choose?

Two great ships! Harmony is, of course the newer of the two. Still Oasis is an amazing ship as well. Here is some feedback on the destinations of both ships:

Oasis:

Nassau: May I suggest you go to the Blue Lagoon instead of Atlantis. IT is much less expensive and they have dolphin encounters:

http://swimwith.dolphinencounters.com/blue-lagoon-island-2/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuOnvKvRKiJgCNS8CIr3tGaC9qWsbXOsYvwYsBZgZYFcaAv858P8HAQ

St. Thomas: You can snorkel from the beach off of Coki Beach or go to Coral World:

https://coralworldvi.com

http://www.cokidive.com/coki-beach

tip: take the extra large size Milk Bones dog biscuits to feed the fish at Coki.

Alternatively go to Trunk Bay on St. John for the day - it has a marked underwater snorkeling trail right from the beach:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147411-d147590-Reviews-Trunk_Bay-Virgin_Islands_National_Park_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

St. John is gorgeous and unspoiled whereas St. Thomas is over developed.

St Maarten: either get off the ship and for a very inexpensive day, go on the water taxi found at the dock to the left over to the beach for the day (there is also shopping and restaurants just footsteps away)

OR do one of these excursions:

http://octopusdiving.com/top-10-excursions-in-st-martin-st-maarten-for-little-kids/

The Harmony of the Seas cruise includes Royal Caribbean's Private Island (Haiti) which is a beach day - no excursion necessary and you never leave the area of the Private Island. We typically rent a cabana for the day here. It comes with float mats. NOTE: definitely bring water shoes for this day as the beach is full of rocks when getting into the water.

Falmouth Jamaica: I highly recommend tubing on the White River here - it is a clean crystal clear river with nothing scary in it and the tubing is mild and fun with some white water, not too much for an 8 year old and some cool natural stone flumes. Makes a great day!

For Cozumel Chakanaab National Park is the place to go to interact with dolphins: http://www.**********************cozumel/

So, IMO, neither route is boring and neither ship is boring. The big question is would your kids prefer the water slides on Harmony over what is on Oasis? I've been on Oasis and I can tell you the ship is stunning and this will be an amazing cruise whichever ship you choose. Have a wonderful vacation!