Unfair

Hoveto

If people are successful in doing that, I don't know how they do it. Every time I attempt a booking, it specifically requires a designation of "U.S. or Canada" residency. I suppose if one has a friend or relative in the U.S., that address might go through.

Please clarify for me: There is part of the initial deposit that is refundable, regardless of whether the time for final payment has not passed? In other words, it is imperative for UK travelers to have insurance in case of unexpected illness or change of plans? If so, this is a real bummer. The insurance companies have a captive audience.

I believe that many use the US TA address

• 2 weeks later...
We have booked a Cunard cruise using a USA travel agent, we live in the uk, and have saved a fair amount of money, we travel in July

Yes, I've done it a few times and even have 2 WC numbers which are linked.

It only works on TA's and trips leaving from North America.

We use a TA based in Rhode Island and use their address.

Stewart

The OP is referring to the loss of deposit if the booking is cancelled before final payment. This is the norm in the UK; it's atypical in the US but certain fares are non-cancelable upon booking so its probably a practice rather than a law.

Not quite sure what source shows that the deposit is refundable in the US, but the Cunard Web site clearly says otherwise. The cancellation fee is the amount of one's deposit "From the date of booking until 91 days before departure." Final payment date is 90 days before departure.

As mentioned previously, one can purchase additional insurance that will allow a portion of the deposit to be transferred to another booking, but absent that insurance, the deposit is forfeited upon cancellation.

Is it fair to us UK customers that if we cancel before the balance due date that we lose all of our deposit money whereas, I understand, if you live in the USA it is refunded. How are cruise lines allowed to get away with this anomaly. It is grossly unfair.

You have stronger consumer protection laws in the UK that protect you when things don't go as they should. That said, I believe this is a question for your elected leaders, not an issue for an Internet forum that is most populated by US citizens.

This comes up over and over again and nothing is going to change anytime soon. It is not just cruise lines who don't refund deposits in the UK. It's any kind of travel package. As for our protection, that is provided by ABTA and it compensates clients who have lost money when a travel provider goes bust. Can't see any of the mass market cruise lines going down the pan in the near future.

Edited by sandancer

Is there a way to view/use the USA Cunard website from the UK?

We took the QM2 across the pond to the UK a few months ago and now want to return later this year back home to the US. When I go onto the Cunard website it seems all the cruises are with flights, which of course we don't need as we are traveling one way. Of course there are other sites to get info from, but I'm wondering if there is a way to view the USA Cunard site. Like a special link or something. Perhaps I'm not savvy enough.

Curious.

--

whyohwhyoh

Is there a way to view/use the USA Cunard website from the UK?

We took the QM2 across the pond to the UK a few months ago and now want to return later this year back home to the US. When I go onto the Cunard website it seems all the cruises are with flights, which of course we don't need as we are traveling one way. Of course there are other sites to get info from, but I'm wondering if there is a way to view the USA Cunard site. Like a special link or something. Perhaps I'm not savvy enough.

Curious.

--

whyohwhyoh

Download TUNNBEAR

It is a web based programme, where you can select which Country you wish your host country to appear to be. For example, select USA, then when seeking to access a target site, say USA, it tricks the target site into accepting the host is in the USA and allows access.

Limited monthly use (very acceptable) is free, and one has the option to pay to extend

Simples

It's nothing to do with law and nationality and all about what you are prepared to put up with. It's simple market forces. I object to paying the same price in £ as the US price in $ for software, but my only alternative is to do without or to engage in piracy. On balance, I choose to cough up.

For cruises and other holidays I have the option to vote with my wallet, an option I exercise whenever possible. Sometimes it works well, since I can pick up a better price by holding my breath, although Cunard have got smarter in recent times at trying to foil my plans and thereby maximise their revenue. The result is that I tend to book more cruises with Celebrity where the deposit is far less than the Cunard 15% and I can "afford" to lose that deposit if prices drop allowing me to re-book at a saving.

When Cunard miss me enough they will change the deal. More likely, when they have ships that are not full they will bite the bullet, offer a tasty deal and I'll end up with a terrific saving and a smug, self-satisfied grim. In the meantime, two of my next three voyages are with Celebrity and I'm seriously looking at late pricing on some of the small, premium lines. Cunard are still (presumably) making money so the status quo works for both us us. Sad, but true.

I'm not too bothered about differences in fare prices. What bothers me is they should treat all their customers the same. No matter which country they are booking from.

It's the same with future cruise deposits. The UK pay £50 and have to book a cruise within one year. They don't get it refunded if unused. In the US they pay $300 have 4 years in which to use it and if they don't use it, they do get it refunded.

What's that all about?!

I don't know, but compare the 50 Pound future cruise deposit/on board spending money with the OBC offered for 300USD future cruise deposit.

50 Pound FCD

On Board Spending Money:

6-9 nights on board

Grill Accommodation = $200USD

Balcony Accommodation = $150USD

Inside / Outside Accommodation = $100USD

Sailings of 10 nights or more

Grill Accommodation = $400USD

Balcony Accommodation = $300USD

Inside/ Outside Accommodation = $200USD

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/FCD

Fair? Equitable? No. So don't buy it. :)

I don't think there is any legal or moral reason why companies should charge the same price for a product all over the world. I doubt if a Starbucks coffee is the same price in all countries. As somebody said companies will charge what the market will stand. That is what their shareholders would expect.

I don't think there is any legal or moral reason why companies should charge the same price for a product all over the world. I doubt if a Starbucks coffee is the same price in all countries. As somebody said companies will charge what the market will stand. That is what their shareholders would expect.

I agree to an extent. For example if we feel like a Starbucks on the way to work we cannot possibly buy it in New York if we live in UK, that goes without saying as we drink a similar coffee from the pot made in our local Starbucks branch and pay whatever is the going rate.

We can on the other hand buy the same (not identical the SAME) cruise, usually much cheaper, via a US TA if but only if we are computer savi. In the UK we are now able to use the internet to purchase almost anything in the world and have it delivered right to our door. Doesn't matter if we live in Uk, Europe, Asia or wherever, the product will be the same price, just the invoice will be converted to your own local currency, and we are rarely blocked from using these sites (think of Ebay and all it's various other countries sites that you can use if you want). Cunard however actually block anyone in the UK from using their site Cunard.com and automatically redirect them to Cunard.co.uk. Why?

We booked our last year's crossing through a US TA, they even offer interline prices for airline staff, something which is not available when booking directly with Cunard. Some months before sailing Cunard dumped the price by $300 and as it was before our final payment they agreed to lower our price too. But not before I asked for it :rolleyes: I've booked our this year's QE cruise throuhg the same TA, we got a past guest rate and I'm still hoping for an even lower interline rate before final payment. The official Cunard agent here in Finland offers only list prices and no perks what so ever.

... Cunard however actually block anyone in the UK from using their site Cunard.com and automatically redirect them to Cunard.co.uk. Why?

Do they do it the other way round?

David.

Yes. Attempts to access Cunard's UK web site (cunard.co.uk) from North America are automatically redirected to cunard.com.

Similar situations exist for other countries as well. For example, accesses from Australia are automatically redirected to cunardline.com.au.

Regards,

John.

Yes. Attempts to access Cunard's UK web site (cunard.co.uk) from North America are automatically redirected to cunard.com.

Similar situations exist for other countries as well. For example, accesses from Australia are automatically redirected to cunardline.com.au.

Regards,

John.

Yes, and often the Cunard US website will often have information not relevant to US bookings, for example passengers from the US searching for information on Future Cruise Deposits will find only what pertains to UK bookings (as I quoted a few posts back).

US passengers need to be cautious regarding the information they find in a search of the Cunard website as it might not pertain to US booking at all, especially as relates to insurance requirements and miscellaneous information.

• 1 month later...

I've two additions to this conversation:

1) Cunard is rare in the US for their refundable until final payment deposit. Most other lines' deposits here are not refundable, at least not in their entirety. (Insurance coverages aside. That's not a refund, it's a reimbursement.)

2) Cunard has no restriction on US TAs booking non-US passengers, and the use of a US address is not required. I have seen many travelers take advantage of this, saving loads of money. [The booking do forfeit two things: CunardCare Insurance, which is only available to US residents, but is overpriced bad coverage. And CunardAir, which is only available to/from a North American gateway, but a clever agent should still have access to decent airfares.]

I've two additions to this conversation:

1) Cunard is rare in the US for their refundable until final payment deposit. Most other lines' deposits here are not refundable, at least not in their entirety. (Insurance coverages aside. That's not a refund, it's a reimbursement.)

2) Cunard has no restriction on US TAs booking non-US passengers, and the use of a US address is not required. I have seen many travelers take advantage of this, saving loads of money. [The booking do forfeit two things: CunardCare Insurance, which is only available to US residents, but is overpriced bad coverage. And CunardAir, which is only available to/from a North American gateway, but a clever agent should still have access to decent airfares.]

I'm not certain you are correct in stating "Most other lines' deposits here [united States] are not refundable, at least not in their entirety." As just one example, I cancelled a r/t NY Bermuda cruise that I booked with Holland America prior to final payment date, and my deposit was fully refunded. HAL cancellation policy can be found here: http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=Cancellation

Suggest further research regarding US cancellation policy on other cruise lines.

Edited to add: Royal Caribbean - refundable deposits - details here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323

Crystal - refundable deposits - details here:http://www.crystalcruises.com/guidebook/fares-deposits-and-payment-information--14

Edited by Salacia

I'm not certain you are correct in stating "Most other lines' deposits here [united States] are not refundable, at least not in their entirety." As just one example, I cancelled a r/t NY Bermuda cruise that I booked with Holland America prior to final payment date, and my deposit was fully refunded. HAL cancellation policy can be found here: http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=Cancellation

Suggest further research regarding US cancellation policy on other cruise lines.

Thank you, Salacia, for pointing that out. Indeed, I shouldn't have used "rare" and perhaps should have said "many" instead of "most".

Without research, but off the top of my head regarding lines which I have recent experience: MSC, Oceania, Silversea, Seabourn, Viking, AmaWaterways, Uniworld all keep some portion of deposits when canceled in certain periods before final payment date. Some of those lines allow the cancellation fee to be carried over as a future cruise credit. Disney's suite and concierge categories are are completely non-refundable from deposit.

One thing I did research was HAL, because the anecdotal experience cited didn't sound complete to me. They, do keep deposits, in their entirety, when canceling with the 30 days prior to final payment, though that is limited to their Grand Voyages.

Thank you, Salacia, for pointing that out. Indeed, I shouldn't have used "rare" and perhaps should have said "many" instead of "most".

Without research, but off the top of my head regarding lines which I have recent experience: MSC, Oceania, Silversea, Seabourn, Viking, AmaWaterways, Uniworld all keep some portion of deposits when canceled in certain periods before final payment date. Some of those lines allow the cancellation fee to be carried over as a future cruise credit. Disney's suite and concierge categories are are completely non-refundable from deposit.

One thing I did research was HAL, because the anecdotal experience cited didn't sound complete to me. They, do keep deposits, in their entirety, when canceling with the 30 days prior to final payment, though that is limited to their Grand Voyages.

Yes, I understand most if not all cruise lines keep part or full deposit payments if the booking is cancelled with the time frame stipulated by the cruise line - and it seems each cruise line has different terms and conditions in that regard. But my understanding is that all cruise bookings in made in the US have a period during which the deposit is fully refundable, except for special rate offers which most often require non-refundable payment in full at the time of booking.

I also understand some travel agents and cruise lines impose a service fee if any changes are made to a reservation, including cancellation.

Because these policies differ, I make it a point to read the appropriate passage contract prior to booking, and I ask my travel agent prior to finalizing the booking what the rules are regarding cancellation (and that info is shown on my invoice).

Just to mention, regarding Disney's policy on suite and concierge staterooms - your deposit is refundable if cancelled 90 days or more prior to vacation starting date:) - at least that's the way I read their passage contract https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

Salacia

Yes, I understand most if not all cruise lines keep part or full deposit payments if the booking is cancelled with the time frame stipulated by the cruise line - and it seems each cruise line has different terms and conditions in that regard. But my understanding is that all cruise bookings in made in the US have a period during which the deposit is fully refundable, except for special rate offers which most often require non-refundable payment in full at the time of booking.

That understanding is incorrect. Some lines do charge cancellation fees from the time of booking, regardless of rate offer, although the fees are not always the full deposit amount.

Because these policies differ, I make it a point to read the appropriate passage contract prior to booking, and I ask my travel agent prior to finalizing the booking what the rules are regarding cancellation (and that info is shown on my invoice).

Always good advice.

Just to mention, regarding Disney's policy on suite and concierge staterooms - your deposit is refundable if cancelled 90 days or more prior to vacation starting date:) - at least that's the way I read their passage contract https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

We must be reading that differently :) I understand that cancellations 90 days or more incur a fee equal to the deposit amount.

Suite and Concierge Staterooms: All Sailings

Days Prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

90 days or more Deposit per Guest

89-56 days 50% of vacation price per Guest

55-30 days 75% of vacation price per Guest

29 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

That understanding is incorrect. Some lines do charge cancellation fees from the time of booking, regardless of rate offer, although the fees are not always the full deposit amount.

Always good advice.

We must be reading that differently :) I understand that cancellations 90 days or more incur a fee equal to the deposit amount.

Suite and Concierge Staterooms: All Sailings

Days Prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

90 days or more Deposit per Guest

89-56 days 50% of vacation price per Guest

55-30 days 75% of vacation price per Guest

29 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

Yikes! You're right! And "CATEGORIES WITH RESTRICTIONS: Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions are NONREFUNDABLE and NONTRANSFERABLE. A 100% cruise cancellation fee applies from time of payment." :eek: