Noro Virus on Queen Elizabeth

Scorer9

Captain announced yesterday at noon an outbreak of this virus. Usual precautions are being taken, including no self service in the lido, a lot more washing of hands required and removal of jigsaws. Don't think the outbreak is too bad so far. However, to make matters worse, today has been the worst day weather-wise of the cruise so far, with strong winds and heavy showers!

We are thankfully not affected. I think it was promptly announced by the Captain and has been dealt with well. One of the talks in the Royal Court Theatre was cancelled, perhaps as a result, but I know of no other casualties.

We are thankfully not affected. I think it was promptly announced by the Captain and has been dealt with well. One of the talks in the Royal Court Theatre was cancelled, perhaps as a result, but I know of no other casualties.

Good, glad it as cancelled. Enjoy fresh air. Avoid confined public spaces, especially public feeding stations (a/k/a buffets).

Simple public health advisory.

There was a significant outbreak of noro virus when we sailed on the QE in 2013 in the South Pacific. Rumor had about 75 passengers infected. The CDC had us fill-out a questionnaire (I think querying food selections during the voyage).

Cabins on either side of ours were affected (and were attended to by special crew members).

The stewards washed the outsides of all the cabin doors and door handles regular intervals, in addition to the other comprehensive cleaning measures, which were stepped up.

We were very impressed by the efforts of crew.

DH and I were diligent with hand-washing and we never became ill.

Preventive measure do work.

I hope current passengers on the QE either avoid infection or, if they have noro virus, feel better soon.

QUOTE=jimmybean;48978198]

DH and I were diligent with hand-washing and we never became ill.

As with us. In 50 or so cruises we have encountered a few outbreaks but never been infected ourselves. Basic hygiene is the most important defence and even obvious things like not putting hands to face and avoiding as much as possible the use of handrails etc.

Cancelling an event seems more cosmetic that useful. Was the evening theatre cancelled as well?

Let's hope this can be cleared up quickly, though the measures being taken will continue well after the outbreak has ended.

David.

Good, glad it as cancelled. Enjoy fresh air. Avoid confined public spaces, especially public feeding stations (a/k/a buffets).

Simple public health advisory.

There are other reasons why I avoid buffets on ships, but the fear of illness is the main one. In our early days of travelling by ship there was no such thing as a buffet, except occasionally a late night one set up in a lounge. I was never aware of an outbreak of gastro-intestinal illness. Could this be a co-incidence? - perhaps - but I doubt it.

Cunard is very good about encouraging passengers to use the gel (yes, I know it is anti-bacterial, not anti-viral, but it does clean) at the entrance to dining and buffet areas and even the captain's receptions.

We recently had a cruise to Alaska on Holland America. I was surprised that there was no staff member dispensing the gel at the entrance to the lido. There were dispensers there, but I noticed hardly anyone was using them. I made a point of watching for this every time I walked in the area.

If the gel is antibacterial and Noro is a virus the suspicion is that they are purely cosmetic as would have been the cancelling of a theatre event that we now know did not have anything to do with the outbreak. Cunard do their best in these situations even replacing the dinner menus with one use a4 sheets of paper, which presumably they will be doing now.

David.

If the gel is antibacterial and Noro is a virus the suspicion is that they are purely cosmetic as would have been the cancelling of a theatre event that we now know did not have anything to do with the outbreak. Cunard do their best in these situations even replacing the dinner menus with one use a4 sheets of paper, which presumably they will be doing now.

David.

They are more than cosmetic, especially if they have a high alcohol content - even more than gin:). They help to clean the hands even though, as with soap, there is no anti-viral property. Canadian, US and British health sites all say the best way to clean the hands is to use soap and warm water, but they acknowledge that the sanitizers are helpful. We always wash thoroughly before a meal and also use the sanitizer at the entrance of the restaurant.

Would anyone enter the DR with dirty hands? There are anti viral hand sanitisers on the market, but they are probably more expensive than the type used which could be the reason for the cruise lines not using them.

David

Edited by balf

Cunard is very good about encouraging passengers to use the gel (yes, I know it is anti-bacterial, not anti-viral, but it does clean) at the entrance to dining and buffet areas and even the captain's receptions.
Cunard uses Purell formula VF481 which has anti-viral properties. The trick is it's effective when applied for 90 seconds.

Cunard uses Purell formula VF481 which has anti-viral properties. The trick is it's effective when applied for 90 seconds.

Always take my own and use use use, together with the Purell and wipes from The Gym.

Anti-viral-Hand-Foam-540x400-2zemhcubce4llf7f7viwhs.jpg.b15d3cabec68fb6c840de4f91c084412.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

Would anyone enter the DR with dirty hands? There are anti viral hand sanitisers on the market, but they are probably more expensive than the type used which could be the reason for the cruise lines not using them.

David

This is the confession of a "dirty hands" passenger:

Like the overwhelming majority of passengers, I scrub up frequently, especially before dining.

But on the way to the dining room, I do use the handrail on stairs, and I've been known to shake the hand of those fellow passengers and crew members who have the good grace to remember our having met in times past. I have yet to master the art of refusing an outstretched hand, but I feel no personal insult when others (including the Captain) refrain from handshakes.

Shockingly perhaps, but I do touch many things before I actually plant myself down in a chair for dinner - and then I use my personal bottle of hand sanitizer before I put hand to mouth or face.

So there is one answer to your question "Would anyone enter the DR with dirty hands?", and you have received additional information regarding hand sanitizers.

I hope this helps :-)

Salacia

Any news from the QE, hope the outbreak is now under control and those affected are making a speedy recovery.

I work in the medical field and have been shown many times that alcohol gel is a good way of sanitising the hands if hot water and soap are not readily available. The best way of course is to wash your hands for 2 minutes with hot water and soap, the problem is that most people do not wash their hands properly if at all! It is vitally important that all areas of the hand and fingers are thoroughly washed, I personally favour the liquid soap compared to the traditional bar of soap.

QE Captain is giving daily updates in her noon broadcast. While the outbreak is being contained, the ship is still on alert so all measures are still in force. DW is missing her jigsaws! I never use the lido, but inevitably it is taking longer to get your food in that venue. The presenter Roy Hunt who got the bug is back to fill fitness.

This is the confession of a "dirty hands" passenger:

Like the overwhelming majority of passengers, I scrub up frequently, especially before dining.

But on the way to the dining room, I do use the handrail on stairs, and I've been known to shake the hand of those fellow passengers and crew members who have the good grace to remember our having met in times past. I have yet to master the art of refusing an outstretched hand, but I feel no personal insult when others (including the Captain) refrain from handshakes.

Shockingly perhaps, but I do touch many things before I actually plant myself down in a chair for dinner - and then I use my personal bottle of hand sanitizer before I put hand to mouth or face.

So there is one answer to your question "Would anyone enter the DR with dirty hands?", and you have received additional information regarding hand sanitizers.

I hope this helps :-)

Salacia

Cunard has always referred to the gel used aboard as anti bacterial, so until they say different that's what we should regard it as. And really? you put hand to face and mouth at dinner, giving the nasty little virus easy access to your digestive system?

Cunard staff must dread an outbreak of Noro virus but all on board need to be vigilant as I guess the majority are because the percentage affected is usuall quite low.

David.