'Black & White' Formal Night

ClanMcLean

Hi there,

I know it's fairly easy for most to dress in accordance of the 'black & white' theme, but my plan for formals nights was for my husband to wear his kilt.

His jacket is black and also his shoes ;) but I really didn't plan on hiring a tux (not that he'd want to wear a tux anyway!) so how out of place will he look ? He does own a dark grey suit. Would that be better suited?

My (soon to be) 6 year old son, on the other hand, is all sorted and has his tux packed already :D We'll need to buy him a new kilt when we get back to Scotland.

Hi there,

I know it's fairly easy for most to dress in accordance of the 'black & white' theme, but my plan for formals nights was for my husband to wear his kilt.

His jacket is black and also his shoes ;) but I really didn't plan on hiring a tux (not that he'd want to wear a tux anyway!) so how out of place will he look ? He does own a dark grey suit. Would that be better suited?

My (soon to be) 6 year old son, on the other hand, is all sorted and has his tux packed already :D We'll need to buy him a new kilt when we get back to Scotland.

Just my personal opinion, but a kilt beats a suit any day. :) -S.

We have seen gentlemen in kilts a number of times on the QM2 and thought them to be quite "fetching" (if that can be a correct term for smartly dressed male??? Probaby, there is a better description, but not at the tip of my tongue).

I would encourage a kilt, by all means, as not just "okay" but as wonderful formal attire. Agreeing with Salacia: kilt beats a tux, in my opinion, too.

My husband loves to wear the kilt, but the only problem is the weight, especially if you are on a longer length cruise. I know you can get lightweight fabric now, but there is no comparison as I am sure you know. If you can do it, go for it.;)

Yeah, I'm trying to work out the best way to do it with regards to weight and luggage.

We're moving back to Scotland for a couple of years, and obviously most of our things will be in a shipping container, but we'll have a few cases with us on the trip over.

I got a quote for the White Star Luggage service, but nearly fainted when I looked..... NZ$580 for ONE 22kg bag :eek: So we'll probably just renew our Air New Zealand Koru membership, which gives us an extra bag in the allowance anyway. Yes we have to carry the bag ourselves, but we get the other Koru perks, likes lounge access, queue jumping etc.

One concern is whether AA will get all jobs worthy over the sgian dubh which will be in the kilt bag. We've not had any issues before (as it's always checked luggage) but we've never flown via the US before :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm trying to work out the best way to do it with regards to weight and luggage.

We're moving back to Scotland for a couple of years, and obviously most of our things will be in a shipping container, but we'll have a few cases with us on the trip over.

I got a quote for the White Star Luggage service, but nearly fainted when I looked..... NZ$580 for ONE 22kg bag :eek: So we'll probably just renew our Air New Zealand Koru membership, which gives us an extra bag in the allowance anyway. Yes we have to carry the bag ourselves, but we get the other Koru perks, likes lounge access, queue jumping etc.

One concern is whether AA will get all jobs worthy over the sgian dubh which will be in the kilt bag. We've not had any issues before (as it's always checked luggage) but we've never flown via the US before :rolleyes:

You have googled key words sgian dubh on a plane as well as Cunard's banned items [https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/not_allowed]?

Never thought to check Cunard! Although when you type sgian dubh in the search box, nothing come up.

Q. Can I wear National Dress on a formal evening?

Yes, this is fine, however please note that if wearing accessories such as ceremonial knives, then these must be imitation items.

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/cu_national_dress

Also see https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/not_allowed

Edited by Salacia

Finally found the link due to their odd spelling LOL

Need to check the length. It's allowed if under 7cm, which I don't think it is. That's OK though, because if no one else in formal kilt attire has one either, he won't look out of place ;)

Just to let you know if you hire a kilt in Scotland now they issue you with a plastic Sgian Dubh as it is against the law to carry a 'weapon', even although it is part of the highland dress.

It is perferctly legal in Scotland to wear a Sgian Dubh as part of Scottish national dress.

The only stipulation is that the blade must be no more than 3.5 inches long.

Stewart

You have googled key words sgian dubh on a plane as well as Cunard's banned items [https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/not_allowed]?

Cunard has now banned sgian dubhs. (goodness knows why, the ships must be full of meat cleavers, axes etc) Last year my son put his sgian dubh in his case as usual and we all found ourselves having to leave the the QV just before sailing (!!) to go to security, rummage through the case that we thought had just been held up during luggage delivery and the sgian dubh was confiscated. He made sure it was returned when we were back in Southampton. It must have been a new thing as he had brought it on before. It is now printed as a banned item in the book that is sent to you.

Hi there,

The formal nights are very well complied with on Cunard, almost everybody will be in formal attire. The theme for the evening is often less well supported but quite a few will be trying to go along with it to various degrees. I think wearing formal dress including a kilt will be fine. I say "formal dress" because on a recent Cunard cruise I was on a gentleman wore a kilt every evening but often with the less formal jacket styles. Are McLean and MacLean synonymous to any extent. I have noticed the latter seem to have a Black and White option.

https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=2602

Regards John

My husband has a cream DJ which he has worn many times for formal nights on other cruise lines. He wants to wear it for the black and white ball on our QV cruise in June. How acceptable would it be? I notice that many comments re formal on Cunard mention dark suits.

Edited by sandancer

My husband has a cream DJ which he has worn many times for formal nights on other cruise lines. He wants to wear it for the black and white ball on our QV cruise in June. How acceptable would it be? I notice that many comments re formal on Cunard mention dark suits.

He will be fine... A bow tie with that jacket would be nice since light colored dinner jackets started on cruises in the summer and in the Carribean as a way to ease the heat...

Cunard is formal though and most everyone will be in a Tuxedo so I would lien toward to bow tie to dress the dinner jacket up rather than no tie or a regular tie...

~Steve